Obituary Thread

Little Richard you keep on knocking until they let you in. Rest in Peace.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

My first record bought when living in South Africa 1958. A Little Richard EP (extended play) Long Tall Sally, Rip It Up, Tutti Fruiti and Ready Steady.

Little Richard was the dogs b*****s

I was back in England a year later just in time to catch the first few Rock n’ Roll films that caused mayhem in the local cinemas. Little Richard was in at least one, The Girl Can’t Help It, along with I think Jayne Mansfield, (I know she was blonde with a big chest)

Edited by Moose
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

He was a real pioneer and absolutely outrageous.....out-bloody-rageous! 

Yes. I like the fact that he called himself "the king and queen of rock n roll".

The energy in those records.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/05/2020 at 12:15, ATLANTISMAN said:

Just saw that the first Ska/Reggae hit brings back memories I had the pleasure of working at Trojan records for 18 months 1974/75 brilliant fun:)

RIP Millie

Paul

Millie Small opened the doors for all the acts that followed in the Ska/Reggae medium , loved the record "My Boy Lollipop " and loved and still play this type of music till this very day .

Little Richard, Screaming Lord Sutch, old Wembley Stadium and a parrot. Chances are the parrot is the last survivor of this pointless but fabulous photograph.

EXlljJXXsAIRwXI?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Little Richard, Screaming Lord Sutch, old Wembley Stadium and a parrot. Chances are the parrot is the last survivor of this pointless but fabulous photograph.

EXlljJXXsAIRwXI?format=jpg&name=small

BRILLIANT LORD SUTCH I remember him and his band at a Radio Caroline show in 1977 he managed to set the stage curtain on fire and the fire alarms all went off in the hotel where the gig was being held LOL:) Anyone remember RADIO SUTCH ?

HQ of the monster raving lunatic party was above cafe rouge in Hampstead I also remember him doing a gig in a pub in Chesterfield (God knows how I ended up staying there:) the night before the bye election where Tony Benn got re- elected to parliament in the early 80,s Sutch was standing as well.

Tony Benn the most hated politician for offshore radio fans :)))

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

21 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Little Richard 87 apparently has passed away.

One of my rock heroes.  There's probably only Jerry Lee left.  Last time I saw him on TV he didn't look so spry either.  Jerry Lee,  Little Richard, Chuck Berry,  Elvis, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly were the true Kings of Rock and Roll.  Without them there'd have been no Stones or Beatles.

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 minutes ago, Trojan said:

One of my rock heroes.  There's probably only Jerry Lee left.  Last time I saw him on TV he didn't look so spry either.  Jerry Lee,  Little Richard, Chuck Berry,  Elvis, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly were the true Kings of Rock and Roll.  Without them there'd have been no Stones or Beatles.

The Grim Reaper's too scared to try and take Jerry Lee.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monty Don's old golden retriever Nigel, the real star of Gardeners World.

• Sad 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

On 10/05/2020 at 11:11, Trojan said:

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at the New Orleans Jazz Festival a few years ago and he was brilliant although he only did about 30 minutes. I couldn't believe many 30 and 40 year olds near us saying they'd no idea who he was!!

Re Little Richard there was a reference in the great Times obituary to him being ambisexual and he had a threesome with Buddy Holly and another unnamed  person . What a life!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at the New Orleans Jazz Festival a few years ago and he was brilliant although he only did about 30 minutes. I couldn't believe many 30 and 40 year olds near us saying they'd no idea who he was!!

Re Little Richard there was a reference in the great Times obituary to him being ambisexual and he had a threesome with Buddy Holly and another unnamed  person . What a life!!

People nowadays think living the Rock n Roll lifestyles is just about how much cocaine they can snort, the guys who were in the Rock n Roll era, really knew how to party safely. That's why many of the greats survived until they were 60, 70, 80. IMO

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

People nowadays think living the Rock n Roll lifestyles is just about how much cocaine they can snort, the guys who were in the Rock n Roll era, really knew how to party safely. That's why many of the greats survived until they were 60, 70, 80. IMO

85 Jerry Lee!  Greatest white rocker of the lot.  His version of What'd I Say is better than the Ray Charles original IMO.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 15/05/2020 at 17:19, Futtocks said:

I only discovered them as a live band a few years ago. May, Dick Taylor and three younger guys; absolutely fantastic. Saw them a bunch of times in those few years. They finished at the end of last year, and reading between the lines I think it was due to Phil's failing health. 

I last saw Phil and Dick make a guest appearance with Arthur Brown in January. Phil sounded as good as he has in the times I saw him, but it was noticeable he was being helped on and off stage.

Canadian Armed Forces Snowbirds lost their public affairs officer, Capt Jenn Casey and Capt Richard MacDougall was seriously injured when their aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff from Kamloops, BC.

The CAF Snowbirds have been on a nationwide morale tour, Operation Inspiration, amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6954775/cf-snowbird-crashes-near-kamloops-during-b-c-stop-of-cross-canada-tour/

Edited by CanaBull

On 30/04/2020 at 09:59, Adelaide Tiger said:

Another Mighty White taken by the a Good Lord.

I can only imagine that the a Good Lord wanted to strengthen the defence in his team of all white so took Norman and Trevor.  This now means that the Good Lord can make a tactical change and move John Charles up front.

I've only just discovered he' died. I'm not much of a soccer fan, but always look for Leeds's result.  This goal epitomised Cherry's never say die attitude.

Clement Attlee.

On 15/05/2020 at 17:22, Robin Evans said:

Wow.

Another girl.... another planet....queue great guitar solo.... 

Great album.... iconic track

No peace for the wicked angels tell me...

Wasn't Another girl.... another planet by The Only Ones? But yes, absolutely one of the best ever guitar intros of all time.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

9 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Wasn't Another girl.... another planet by The Only Ones? But yes, absolutely one of the best ever guitar intros of all time.

Yeah.... I realised my faux pas over the weekend. 

When I saw pretty things I read "only ones" for some reason and I've been telling folk peter perrett had died..... 

Looking a bit of a pil lock.?

• Haha 1