Obituary Thread

Just now, Robin Evans said:

That said.... what a track....??

Isn't it? I still get goose bumps whenever I play it even after all these (42!) years.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Betty Wright 10th May..  Only seen her obit in today's Grauniad.  Clean Up Woman is one of my all time faves.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 31/05/2020 at 13:38, ivans82 said:

Very sad to hear of the death of Michael Angelis , a top class actor who i always thought added greatly to anything he appeared in .

I know very, very little about films and tv, but Michael Angelis left a big impression on me as a youngster.

Boys from the Blackstuff was a smack-in-the-chops kind of tv show when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, a real eye-opener in the unforgettable days of Thatcherism. But what I really remember Angelis for was a screenplay, also by Alan Bleasedale I think, called No Surrender, which I didn't watch until I was a politicised student at the end of the 80s. I watched it over and over and loved the characters, especially Angelis as the nightclub manager.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/no_surrender/

R.I.P.

• Like 1

Just now, Leeds Wire said:

I know very, very little about films and tv, but Michael Angelis left a big impression on me as a youngster.

Boys from the Blackstuff was a smack-in-the-chops kind of tv show when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, a real eye-opener in the unforgettable days of Thatcherism. But what I really remember Angelis for was a screenplay, also by Alan Bleasedale I think, called No Surrender, which I didn't watch until I was a politicised student at the end of the 80s. I watched it over and over and loved the characters, especially Angelis as the nightclub manager.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/no_surrender/

R.I.P.

One of my fav films....

"Glad you're here.... I haven't seen a tide mark in years"!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

One of my fav films....

"Glad you're here.... I haven't seen a tide mark in years"!

And, to bouncer Bernard Hill: "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover you know"

Bouncer: "I do, I can't read".

Edited by Leeds Wire
found some footage

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Steve Priest

All 3 deceased members of Sweet came from my old stomping ground in Hillingdon, 

Brian Connolly (b Glasgow) Grew up in Harefield (Ironic really as he died of a heart attack)

Mick Tucker lived for a long time in Ruislip

Steve Priest Hayes Middlesex

Andy Scott, Wrexham, Wales, only surviving member now.

My van doesn't have a cd player so I transferred loads of stuff onto a memory stick ... over 2000 tracks. I never play whole abums in the van, just leave the stick on "random play". I was driving yesterday when Hellraiser by Sweet came on to play. I haven't got any Sweet albums so it must be on a compilation album.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

My van doesn't have a cd player so I transferred loads of stuff onto a memory stick ... over 2000 tracks. I never play whole abums in the van, just leave the stick on "random play". I was driving yesterday when Hellraiser by Sweet came on to play. I haven't got any Sweet albums so it must be on a compilation album.

They will be on plenty of 70's comp albums

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Heartbreaking, my favourite sports presenter loses his wife.

Deepest sympathy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Kurt Thomas, aged 64. The first American man to win a world gymnastics title, but maybe better known as the star of the unintentionally hilarious action movie 'Gymkata'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Heartbreaking, my favourite sports presenter loses his wife.

Deepest sympathy.

Terrible . A big advocate for our sport , utterly tragic for him and family