Obituary Thread

Tommy Searle 73, who had passed away with brain cancer. Back in 1968 Tommy was one of 3 Australian's, Ivan Pascoe and John Green the other 2, who came over to play for Keighley for 3 seasons. Tommy and his wife and young son lived in a club rented house opposite us and I remember the first time it snowed all three of the player's were out having snowball fights with me and my mates.         He was later involved with original Gold Coast Giants/Tweed Head Seagull's club who I believe his son played for before going on to a management role with the Titans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 22:34, Futtocks said:

I rememberhim being on the radio and being very censorious about modern day cricketers. This week, I read his obituary in the Times. As reported, he was never married but had three children by three different women.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

What a legend. Ecstacy of Gold is one of the greatest pieces of music put to film. RIP

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I heard a tale years ago that one Gary Sprake had tried to claim fame status over Bill Ramsey in the Leeds Mecca. It takes little imagination to consider what the result of that was!

On 06/07/2020 at 11:46, jacksy said:

What a legend. Ecstacy of Gold is one of the greatest pieces of music put to film. RIP

And a very familiar piece of music to anybody who has ever seen Metallica live. They've come on stage to it for years. Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Metallica honour Ennio Morricone: ‘Your Career was Legendary, Your Compositions Timeless’

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

7 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Just seen it. So sad. Used to love the joke when he was in charge of Ireland. "If hes got an Irish Setter he csn play for Ireland."

How many are still with us from the world cup team now. 😞

Just Bobby Charlton, George Cohen, Geoff Hurst and Roger Hunt I think.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Listened to a BBC a Radio podcast yesterday about the 1990 World Cup.  One of the Irish players told about when the team had a private audience with the Pope before the Quarter-Final against Italy.

The Pope asked who was the goalkeeper and Packie Bonner stepped forward.  The Pope said to Bonner ‘I used to play in goal for my local team.  I will keep an eye on you in your next game’.

In the Quarter-Final Bonner mishandled a shot and Italy scored the only goal of the game.  In the dressing room Bonner was sat in the corner when Big Jack walked up to him and said ‘The Pope would have saved that!’.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Listened to a BBC a Radio podcast yesterday about the 1990 World Cup.  One of the Irish players told about when the team had a private audience with the Pope before the Quarter-Final against Italy.

The Pope asked who was the goalkeeper and Packie Bonner stepped forward.  The Pope said to Bonner ‘I used to play in goal for my local team.  I will keep an eye on you in your next game’.

In the Quarter-Final Bonner mishandled a shot and Italy scored the only goal of the game.  In the dressing room Bonner was sat in the corner when Big Jack walked up to him and said ‘The Pope would have saved that!’.

The story I heard was Bonner was upset in the dressing room and big Jack said don’t worry about it get yourself in the shower. Then when he went to get a shower jack was with Andy Townsend and said to him the ###### pope would’ve saved that. 

I was reading yesterday that Jack was a former miner, and during the big strike lent his car to the flying pickets.   Clearly true to his roots.  I remember him saying during an election that he intended to vote Labour. Unfortunately he played snooker at the local Con club and they banned him. Or clotched him as we say in Leeds! v

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Judy Dyble founding member of Fairport Convention

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Now that is sad.

Very influential in her day, tremendous voice.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.