Obituary Thread

7 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I grew up watching England RU getting thumped every year by the likes of JJ & his namesake JPR.....

Didn't him and JPR play for the Barr Barr's in that iconic match against the All Black's mid 70s ?

Just looked , it was JPR who played that day , not JJ 

Edited by GUBRATS

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Didn't him and JPR play for the Barr Barr's in that iconic match against the All Black's mid 70s ?

Just looked , it was JPR who played that day , not JJ 

I can still hear the Cliff Morgan commentary in my head , I’ve seen those highlights so often ...

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

If the BBC don't have a a one hour slot for a tribute to Bobby, there is no justice, one of the all time greats, and reasonably politically correct too.

Or ITV, as Cannon & Ball was a tv show for a Saturday night for 9 years for them.

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Or ITV, as Cannon & Ball was a tv show for a Saturday night for 9 years for them.

He had a great late-career role in the BBC's 'Not going out' as Lee Mack's embarrassing dad.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was rewatching a documentary on 66 not so long back and they were talking about the semi final . Portugal has dumped out Brazil and were favourites for the tournament , with Eusebio on fire . Nobby nullified him almost completely . These guys are going  , but they’ll never leave us

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Nobby's left us

some lovely  sentiments coming out of manchester utd - shame they were no where to be seen when he was having to sell his medals to get by 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

some lovely  sentiments coming out of manchester utd - shame they were no where to be seen when he was having to sell his medals to get by 

I seem to recall there was more to the sale than hardship. He sold them because he had more than 1 child and he didn't want them arguing over the medals. I am sure 200,000 went a long way however.

1 minute ago, Red Willow said:

I seem to recall there was more to the sale than hardship. He sold them because he had more than 1 child and he didn't want them arguing over the medals. I am sure 200,000 went a long way however.

am sure a will would have easily sorted that - £200 000? not even a weeks wages for many man u players recently 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 29/10/2020 at 12:40, Robin Evans said:

I grew up watching England RU getting thumped every year by the likes of JJ & his namesake JPR.....

John Bevan who played for Wire was part of it too. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

In 1989 they were appearing at The Futurist in Scarborough.  Their cars were parked on the flat roof of the theatre, and our apartment over looked them.  Every night after the performance they would come out and get into their car. One night my daughter went down and got their autographs.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.