Obituary Thread

A brilliant Footballer. Possibly the best of all time, if such comparisons can really be made.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Comfortably the greatest footballer I've watched. I've seen incredibly talented players. Strong players. Players with awareness and skill. And players who could carry a team of makeweights on their backs. But he's the only one I've seen who combined all that again and again and again.

As for the handball ... if Shilton wasn't such a potbellied failure he should be able to outleap a shorty like Maradona even if he is cheating but he isn't so he can't. And that's the final difference between greatness and being a bitter loser. Maradona would do whatever it took to win. That way greatness lies.

Aye , Shilton 86 and Seaman 02 .

The second goal against us and the one against Belgium though ... I mean wow 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3

I’d say the two freaks still playing are more professional and productive than any player that’s ever played. But if you gave me the option of going back to watch one player again in his prime it would be Maradona all day long. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Madonna was an unbelievable player. At his peak he was unplayable and single handedly raised average teams. The best player I have seen bar none.

Won a World Cup and Serie A title pretty much singlehandedly, unheard of achievements. Imagine how good he could have been if he’d lived his life differently. 

• Like 2

My favourite ever player and in my opinion the best in my lifetime of watching football. I get the arguments in favour of Messi (longevity etc.), but if I was picking a team I would always choose Maradona first.

Mexico 86 was my first world cup and I will never forget that summer of football. I doubt what he did back then will ever be repeated.

RIP Diego

• Like 1

My first years following football were around 1983/4 and I thought Platini was the best in the world at that time.

Watching Mexico 86 it was as if Maradona had come from a different planet.

Maybe statistics will count against him in the long run, but without doubt he was the last legend I can think of who peaked so brilliantly at the World Cup.

A divisive character certainly, but nobody can deny his ability and his performances. His best form was probably at Napoli where he produced world class performances week in week out in a team that was useful but had no right to win Serie A. There are highlight packages on Youtube that are worth watching and some of his best moments are when he was in Italy. In footballing terms, he was a genius.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

A divisive character certainly, but nobody can deny his ability and his performances. His best form was probably at Napoli where he produced world class performances week in week out in a team that was useful but had no right to win Serie A. There are highlight packages on Youtube that are worth watching and some of his best moments are when he was in Italy. In footballing terms, he was a genius.

Yes. We moved to Napoli just after he left and he was and still is revered by the whole city. The documentary about him and his time at Napoli is brill and shows why him and the city were a great match!

• Like 2

On 13/11/2020 at 10:25, ckn said:

Please remember that this is an obituary thread. If you want to discuss Sutcliff and his crimes or life then please start a separate thread.

if you want to discuss maradona and his football or life please start a separate thread before CKN comes along in his moderators hitler uniform 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

if you want to discuss maradona and his football or life please start a separate thread before CKN comes along in his moderators hitler uniform 

Thank you. My old Number 1s from my army days did look a bit iffy, but not quite Hitler like...

The principle applies though. Start a new thread if you must. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The Argentina side he was in wasn’t a bad one (as is often suggested), but there’s no doubt he was the difference. 

The game vs England and the two iconic goals is undoubtedly the one that defines him, both in terms of greatness and his character. The pickpocket goal was great, but the highlight for me was leaving bighead Shilton on his backside after running past six players. 

Bit like George Best he should only be remembered for what he did on the field. Flawed genius is what he was.

8 hours ago, DC77 said:

The Argentina side he was in wasn’t a bad one (as is often suggested), but there’s no doubt he was the difference. 

The game vs England and the two iconic goals is undoubtedly the one that defines him, both in terms of greatness and his character. The pickpocket goal was great, but the highlight for me was leaving bighead Shilton on his backside after running past six players. 

Bit like George Best he should only be remembered for what he did on the field. Flawed genius is what he was.

Disagree about the 86 team. After Maradona, Burrachaga and Pumpido there wasnt much there.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Come on. I’ve asked nicely, I’ll just start deleting posts now. Go start another thread if you want to discuss him.

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

You really are wasting your typing, I am deleting every single discussion/joke/commentary now on Maradona. Go create another thread if it really means that much to you.

To return to a measure of gravity;

My old man died this morning after a short illness. He was RL through and through, a former groundsman and director at Batley amongst other roles at a number of clubs. He was the guy who introduced me to the greatest game, the one who showed me what proper hard work and dedication was, the one that spurred me on to push the participation of RL beyond the traditional lands and the one who took great pride in knowing that his initial influence had led his grandkids to take up the same interests.

We must never underestimate the level of influence we exert on people who hold us in high regard. It comes with great responsibility and he had bags of it.

Rest easy dad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

My old man died this morning after a short illness. He was RL through and through, a former groundsman and director at Batley amongst other roles at a number of clubs. He was the guy who introduced me to the greatest game, the one who showed me what proper hard work and dedication was, the one that spurred me on to push the participation of RL beyond the traditional lands and the one who took great pride in knowing that his initial influence had led his grandkids to take up the same interests.

We must never underestimate the level of influence we exert on people who hold us in high regard. It comes with great responsibility and he had bags of it.

Rest easy dad. 

sorry to hear that mate, sounds like your dad was a top bloke- best wishes pal

• Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Zenon Plech who was the great Polish hope to become their first World Speedway Champion at Katowice in 1973, unfortunately his unfancied countryman Jerzy Szczakiel (who passed away on the 1st September) rode out of his skin to beat Ivan Mauger in a run off to take the title much to the dismay of the Polish authorities and most of the 130,000 crowd, I was amongst them, it was a bl**dy long train trip both there and back. Plech never lived upto his promise after that and Szczakiel had a couple of ignominious appearences in the west after which the Poles kept him out of sight.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Rest easy dad. 

Without Knowing, With Love.

• Thanks 1