Obituary Thread

Just found out Pete Bland passed away at the weekend - died from Covid.

Not a national figure, but a legend in the fell and road running community in the the North West. Sponsored and arranged countless events over the past 40 years

• Like 1

He would have belonged on the surprised they're still alive thread had I known but alas Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, President of France for seven years before Mitterand. Political father of the TGV and very much a pragmatic pro-European.

https://www.politico.eu/article/former-french-president-valery-giscard-destaing-dead-at-94/

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

He would have belonged on the surprised they're still alive thread had I known but alas Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, President of France for seven years before Mitterand. Political father of the TGV and very much a pragmatic pro-European.

https://www.politico.eu/article/former-french-president-valery-giscard-destaing-dead-at-94/

I thought he'd gone decades ago.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

One of the great commentating voices of these lands, and im not a golf fan Peter Alliss

"I was watching Carol Vorderman the other day and I got aroused...not bad for me...7 letters..."

Simply fantastic.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Peter Alliss total legend . Didn’t really give a stuff . Read an article saying the beeb used to warn him what to say and not say and he always ignored them knowing they couldn’t do a thing , the people adored him ! Remember him going on about Tiger Woods gripping lowdown on his shaft and everyone in the background laughing like crazy  . Endless funny commentary lines , but brilliant at describing the moment as well . The voice of a sport like Ted Lowe , Murray Walker , Richie Benaud etc Pro celebrity golf as well , watched that every week !

Edited by DavidM
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

Peter Alliss total legend . Didn’t really give a stuff . Read an article saying the beeb used to warn him what to say and not say and he always ignored them knowing they couldn’t do a thing , the people adored him ! Remember him going on about Tiger Woods gripping lowdown on his shaft and everyone in the background laughing like crazy  . Endless funny commentary lines , but brilliant at describing the moment as well . The voice of a sport like Ted Lowe , Murray Walker , Richie Benaud etc Pro celebrity golf as well , watched that every week !

Completely agree they at times may not have been the best but sone sports are connected to them. The name slips my mind but the snooker commentator. Peter o Sullivan. Sports legends in a different manner 

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

"I was watching Carol Vorderman the other day and I got aroused...not bad for me...7 letters..."

Simply fantastic.

Effing brilliant.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Mountaineer Doug Scott

Member of the first team to ascend Everest by its SW face. They were late up there and actually slept on the summit!

Gave a lot back to the Nepalese community in later life

49 minutes ago, Shadow said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55225903

Chuck Yeager, aged 97 which considering what he achieved fame for is frankly remarkable

A name I've known since I was a kid and would spend all my time reading books on every little bit of aviation from the history to the details of every nut and bolt on a Pratt and Whitney radial engine! I still do now, but more so then! 

RIP Chuck! Forever resting up in the sky where you were most at home! 😢

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Ged Stokes ex Workington Coach

Absolutely terrible news , really gutted and feeling for his family who came here , loved the area and played such a big role in the West Cumbrian community 

Walter E Williams, who was born into a Philadelphia ghetto and was raised in a one-parent family, but became the Professor of Economics at George Mason University. He was a brilliant public intellectual.

He told a story about being sent to Korea as a young man during the 1950s. He had to fill in a form about himself, and, under 'race', wrote 'Caucasian'. When the Chaplain told him he must have made a mistake, he said no he hadn't, because if he had written 'Negro' he would have been landed with all the lousiest jobs in the unit.

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A name I've known since I was a kid and would spend all my time reading books on every little bit of aviation from the history to the details of every nut and bolt on a Pratt and Whitney radial engine! I still do now, but more so then! 

RIP Chuck! Forever resting up in the sky where you were most at home! 😢

I have a similar affliction towards aviation. The x1 project was pioneering stuff .... pushing the boundaries.

Given his flying history its amazing how he lived so long. The Keith Richards of flight history

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Thats ######..... met him a couple of times. Top bloke.... scary as ell.... but a top bloke

Almost exactly what I would have written. RIP Ged.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"