Obituary Thread

Lou Ottens, Inventor Of The Cassette Tape, Has Died : NPR aged 94

I (and I'm sure any others on here) have used a few of those over the years to copy LPs borrowed from mates, make compilations for themselves and friends and record music off the radio. His invention certainly gave me plenty of joy over many years.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2021 at 19:53, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Lou Ottens, Inventor Of The Cassette Tape, Has Died : NPR aged 94

I (and I'm sure any others on here) have used a few of those over the years to copy LPs borrowed from mates, make compilations for themselves and friends and record music off the radio. His invention certainly gave me plenty of joy over many years.

He did very well to last such a long innings....I'm sure most of us doubted he'd C-90.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

20 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

A good innings from a good guy, whose love of his job was evident every single time he spoke.

“I don’t make mistakes, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong” Murray Walker

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just seen reports that ‘Marvellous’ Marvin Hagler has died aged 66.  

What a magnificent boxer who took on and beat Thomas ‘Hitman’ Hearns in one of the most savage, exhilarating 3 rounds of boxing that I have ever witnessed.  To anyone who has never seen the fight go watch it on YouTube and watch two of the greatest middleweights of the 80’s stand toe to toe.

• Sad 3

The first fight I remember watching was Hagler - Minter , which seemed like a vicious assault to me as a kid watching. After that he was Tyson before Tyson , visually intimidating , scary , dominant and a boxing icon . The Hearns fight ... the Leonard fight etc etc . Who could argue or sneer when he officially changed his name to Marvellous Marvin Hagler ? A boxing immortal 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

DavidM round one was just a gentle warm up before the real action started in rounds two and three 😊

Well , you’ve got to have a look before you start to get into the fight ...

• Haha 1

Hagler/Hearns is the first boxing match I really remember.  Just seemed to be a real fighter sounding name to me as a youngster, and then he hung it up a couple of years later.  Didn't really understand why until later, but I respected him even more then.  RIP.

43 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Racing driver and occasional 'Top Gear' guest star, Sabine Schmitz.

Very sad at only 51.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I recall Lorimer's disallowed goal in the 1975 European Cup Final.  Even Bayern admit today that it was a goal.  That and Beckenbaur's rugby tackle n the box on Clarke gave Bayern the cup and caused the subsequent riot. 

I remember Leeds signing Lorimer.  He was only 15 but never really lost his Scottish twang.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.