Obituary Thread

I was watching Quest, here in the UK, and the blanked the adverts and said there is an important news bulletin on BBC News, I have never seen a blatant channel diversion like this so I turned over.

I am not a Royalist, in fact I have said before on here I am a Republican, but my thoughts got out to the Queen and her Family.

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was watching Quest, here in the UK, and the blanked the adverts and said there is an important news bulletin on BBC News, I have never seen a blatant channel diversion like this so I turned over.

I am not a Royalist, in fact I have said before on here I am a Republican, but my thoughts got out to the Queen and her Family.

Well it takes away the 20 minutes the News devotes to the daily Coronavirus depressing BS.

Edited by Bleep1673

Two posts removed, please remember this is a restricted thread. If you want to grumble about the monarchy, start a new thread.

• Like 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sorry for the family , but do they need this on every bbc channel ? I was looking forward to masters highlights 

Channel 4 haven't shifted Countdown!

I know you said BBC but ITV and Channel 5 also have the schedule blocked out.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Sorry for the family , but do they need this on every bbc channel ? I was looking forward to masters highlights 

I doubt it is the family that have either instigated or `need this'.  It is the country. It is respect.

If he had been the husband of any head of state, world wide, his death would have been suitably recognised, as this is being suitably recognised right now, in countries all around the globe.

If he had been the equally long-serving, well known and almost universally recognised (with respect) partner of the head of state of any country in the world, his passing would now be being marked in much the same way.

Though not identical - and for different reasons - the closest illustration I can think of, for that, is the death of United States President, John Kennedy.  Within minutes of the event the whole world knew, and responded with due respect.

I was at a film showing, in the dining hall of my college `res' when that news came in.  Everything stopped.

And I was miles away on another continent, in the middle of central Africa.

Edited by Honor James
  • Haha 1

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Just about every commercial radio station that I'm flicking through on Freeview TV have a more subdued playlist.

Except Talk Sport who have horse racing.

That might help cheer the Queen up a bit.

• Haha 3
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

RIP Prince Philip.  Gave me many a chuckle over the last few decades.  Sad day. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Same audio on all the BBC radio stations including 1Xtra and Asian Network. Except BBC World Service.

• Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

think  our thoughts and prayers should be with her majesty at this time- when all is stripped to bare bones - an old lady has lost her husband of over 70 years today - bless

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

As a tribute to the D of E dying just short of his century, Hull KR and Castleford played out a 99-minute match this evening. Respect!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Just about every commercial radio station that I'm flicking through on Freeview TV have a more subdued playlist.

Except Talk Sport who have horse racing.

Itv Racing did an excellent tribute to Prince Philip at the start of the show today.

Most of the presenters had met him and spoke very well.

It’s been like A Weekend at Bernie’s for a year now. I guess at some point they had to announce it.

More seriously.. I really don’t know how his family deal with it being across all the media. Constant reminders everywhere. The Royal family, for all their faults, still experience the same emotions as the rest of us.

While many of them have a comfortable life of privilege, they never get a break to feel how it is to be human without outsiders meddling.

The most personal of private moments and they still feel obliged to do their “duty” publicly. The whole system strips them of their humanity in the only life they will live.

Sadly, I think the whole Royal thing meant he probably wasted the only life he had. Denied so many normal human experiences that the rest of us go through. I wonder though if he knew that. It’s all very sad.

He was very much of his era.

Edited by Copa

Some interesting stuff on the coverage about Prince Philip's early, eventful years, which I didn't know much about.

But otherwise far too much padding and repetition.

Misjudged and excessive - and I'm guessing he might agree with me.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Some interesting stuff on the coverage about Prince Philip's early, eventful years, which I didn't know much about.

But otherwise far too much padding and repetition.

Misjudged and excessive - and I'm guessing he might agree with me.

It’s very much a preview of what will happen when the Queen passes I guess 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Maybe I’m just old but I don’t see it necessary to make horrible comments about somebody who has died. 

(obviously not referring to Hitler or Pol Pot etc)

There’s anger over the wall to wall coverage of this in some places, but it doesn’t serve anyone to make snide comments.

I don’t really see the need for a royal family in a modern democracy, but I can relate to the loss of a loved one on a human level.

I have no doubt at some point we will see images of real sadness in the Queen’s face that might bring home that point.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That’s pretty much where I am coming from. You’ll never see me waving a flag at a royal visit for example but I think you can appreciate that someone who has been married for 73 (seventy three!) years will be much missed. 

The wife's brother died a few weeks ago. It was sad. Same as finding out an old mate of mine died yesterday. Sad.

A 99 year old bloke I don't know has died. His family will feel sadness too.

This is my only comment on this.