Obituary Thread

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Ahem, reported much earlier, not like you to be so slow at turning up in your black cowl gown waving your scythe.

8 hours ago, Padge said:

Sebastian Eubank boxer, son of Chris. Drowned in the sea at Dubai.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

53 minutes ago, Padge said:

Ahem, reported much earlier, not like you to be so slow at turning up in your black cowl gown waving your scythe.

😀

I originally posted a laughing emoticon under your post but quickly removed it as it didn't sit very well with most of the content. ☹️

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 hours ago, Niels said:

Gallileo, Famous Derby winning racehorse and stallion. 

Sad news announced on ITV racing today.

20 of his progeny sired group one winners.

Not into horse racing that much but randomly enjoyed a best of on YouTube a month or so ago with a couple of bevvies. Same with Frankel.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

16 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

😀

I originally posted a laughing emoticon under your post but quickly removed it as it didn't sit very well with most of the content. ☹️

I saw it come and go, and then got worried about my sanity, but decided it was no problem, I am not sane.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Ernie Moss, footballer and local Chesterfield hero, aged 71.

Spent much of the last few years suffering from Pick's Disease. His family have been pushing for more research and help around the effect of heading the ball on players, who seem to have a higher than average incidence of dementia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9780893/Chesterfield-legend-Ernie-Moss-dies-aged-71-long-battle-dementia.html

Also yesterday, my uncle Harry, 84.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 13/07/2021 at 10:58, tim2 said:

Ernie Moss, footballer and local Chesterfield hero, aged 71.

Spent much of the last few years suffering from Pick's Disease. His family have been pushing for more research and help around the effect of heading the ball on players, who seem to have a higher than average incidence of dementia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9780893/Chesterfield-legend-Ernie-Moss-dies-aged-71-long-battle-dementia.html

Also yesterday, my uncle Harry, 84.

Remember him well playing for the blues at oakwell 

On 06/07/2021 at 10:11, Farmduck said:

Rick Laird, 80, of cancer. Best known as bassist in the original Mahavishnu Orchestra. Although born in Dublin, Laird took up bass while living in NZ then moved to Australia and played jazz gigs there before moving to London where he met McLaughlin while he was playing in an early Brian Auger lineup.

Sad to hear this , still listen to Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire albums , he really was a brilliant bass player . RIP.

Derbyshire and England cricketer Mike Hendrick, 72. I saw him bowl once on a grey morning at Chesterfield with a wicket like a Cornish Yarg cheese. I don't think the batsmen hit a single one of his first 24 balls. The first one who did edged it to Bob Taylor. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

56 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Derbyshire and England cricketer Mike Hendrick, 72. I saw him bowl once on a grey morning at Chesterfield with a wicket like a Cornish Yarg cheese. I don't think the batsmen hit a single one of his first 24 balls. The first one who did edged it to Bob Taylor. 

That is almost poetry :kolobok_biggrin:

17 hours ago, tim2 said:

Sounding very Jim Lakeresque there, Tim mate.

I remember watching the 1979 World Cup Final from Lords. Hendrick was bowling to Viv Richards who was in fantastic form. Richards belted one delivery straight back at Hendrick who might have been able to pull off a sensational caught and bowled if he'd made the effort.

But instead, he ducked.

No criticism from the commentator who suggested it had been a wise move.

Edited by Old Frightful
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)