Obituary Thread

On 28/12/2021 at 12:33, Phil said:

Couldn’t help making it about himself could he? 

Ian McNabb, formerly of the Icicle Works, has written some fantastic tributes to her, in contrast to Morrissey's effort.
I know our own John Drake is a massive fan of Ian, whose words about Janice Long have been so beautiful. 

She was a legend.

not a big fan of american comedy but the golden girls was as close to british comedy as they got - great cast- good scripts - fantastic timing between the characters all cushioned by the great sense of desperation written in to the backbone of the finest british comedies 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.   It is always hard for a son to escape the cloak of famous parents and forge his own path...Richard had to to do this and he did it well and made his own name for himself.  I enjoyed some of his online lectures and he seemed to know his stuff.    I'll always remember one lecture he gave when he stated that the Earth could sustain about 4 billion humans (Max.) Sad to see such a person of quality go.  RIP.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Burke Shelley, founder of Budgie

They were the support band to Slade at Blackwood Miners Institute in 1971. There'd been trouble on the fans' bus previously so that week's bus was cancelled. My mates and I ended up walking 14 miles home. Would have been 12 but we diverted on the way to walk two girls to their door. Got home about 5am and got collected for work at 7am.

Great night.

• Like 2

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Actor Gary Waldhorn, probably best known for The Vicar of Dibley.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I went to see them at Farnborough Tech in 1980, I must have enjoyed it because I bought the tour sweatshirt

I think it was this one

image.jpeg.488e35e9ee8548aa58ac960cb8290e18.jpeg

Got my rucksack nicked in New Zealand in 1982 and lost it then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I went to see them at Farnborough Tech in 1980, I must have enjoyed it because I bought the tour sweatshirt

Highly honored they turned up, Budgie were notorious for failing to appear at gigs.

Cracking band though, R.I.P Burke Shelley.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

23 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Sad news, Squawk and Never Turn Your Back On A Friend were among the first albums I ever bought.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson