Obituary Thread

9 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Speedway, football and darts commentator, presenter and writer Nigel Pearson. He was 52.

Very sad news.

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Specialty Records label owner Art Rupe, aged a remarkable 104. Among the talent he brought to the public consciousness, Little Richard, Sam Cooke and John Lee Hooker: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/17/art-rupe-label-owner-who-helped-launch-little-richard-and-sam-cooke-dies-at-104 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 17/04/2022 at 19:19, Futtocks said:

Specialty Records label owner Art Rupe, aged a remarkable 104. Among the talent he brought to the public consciousness, Little Richard, Sam Cooke and John Lee Hookerhttps://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/17/art-rupe-label-owner-who-helped-launch-little-richard-and-sam-cooke-dies-at-104 

I've got a book on the Blues  'with foreword by John Lee Hooker'.

Funny that, since he famously never learned to read and write.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Life imitating art. Ric Parnell, aka Spinal Tap drummer Mick Shrimpton, aged 70.

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/spinal-tap-ric-parnell-mick-shrimpton-dies/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kelham Island Brewery. Really good stuff in its day.

Things not looking right clever for Phil Bennett either.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

'Gods Copper' - James Anderton, ex  chief constable of Greater Manchester.

• Like 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

That's disappointing. Once broke off from a very boring conference in Sheffield to go on a cultural visit to the brewery. Things were a bit blurry on the way back.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

They've been on the slide for a few years now. Pity. Pale rider was a fabulous brew in its day but got a little tired.

Thankfully abbeydale continues to shine brightly at the other end of the city.

Confirmed: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61372712 

I enjoyed New Tricks (although it had very much jumped the shark by the time Nicholas Lyndhurst's one-dimensional character was introduced). It felt like the cast were given a license to have fun with the "hardened cop" tropes, and really had a lot of fun doing it.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actor Mike Hagerty. Not a big star, but a character actor whose face crops up in all sorts of stuff. He's the pudgy, moustachioed bloke who you probably have seen in a career spanning over 100 movies and TV series. Here he is with Kurt Russell - yeah, he's that guy!

287517_full.jpg

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 07/05/2022 at 14:57, Robin Evans said:

They've been on the slide for a few years now. Pity. Pale rider was a fabulous brew in its day but got a little tired.

Thankfully abbeydale continues to shine brightly at the other end of the city.

They do seem to have had a much lower profile in the last few years.

Came across Stancill Brewery's beers on a recent visit to Sheff. Not bad at all.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.