Obituary Thread

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Confirmed: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61372712 

I enjoyed New Tricks (although it had very much jumped the shark by the time Nicholas Lyndhurst's one-dimensional character was introduced). It felt like the cast were given a license to have fun with the "hardened cop" tropes, and really had a lot of fun doing it.

To paraphrase Craig Cash, he did some great telly.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Actor Mike Hagerty. Not a big star, but a character actor whose face crops up in all sorts of stuff. He's the pudgy, moustachioed bloke who you probably have seen in a career spanning over 100 movies and TV series. Here he is with Kurt Russell - yeah, he's that guy!

287517_full.jpg

Ah that bloke.

Now I know who he is.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Lets not forget Dennis Waterman's most famous role:

Period comedy drama The First Kangaroos was an account of the first Australian rugby tour of England in 1908. Based on a true story Dennis Waterman plays legendary rugby league player Albert Goldthorpe. The first half of the movie is set in Australia as the Australian set about breaking away from the Rugby Union code to set up their own professional Rugby League code, travelling to England to play some big matches in a bid to promote their fledgling code. Aside from Waterman most of the players were real life Rugby players.

https://www.memorabletv.com/tv/first-kangaroos-the-channel-4-1988-dennis-waterman-chris-haywood/

• Like 1

On 23/04/2022 at 10:24, CanaBull said:

For any of the hockey fans here, it was a sad one in Canada today when Guy Lafleur, 5 time Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup winner and one of the most celebrated players, passed away aged 70.

Flew down the ice, golden locks flowing behind him as he took advantage of the compulsory helmet regulation being waived for old timers.  A delight to watch. Sadly the chain smoking finally caught up with him.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-caves-son-jethro-has-died-aged-31-3221399

Nick Cave has lost another son. To outlive one child is bad enough, but this is awful.

• Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 08/05/2022 at 16:26, Futtocks said:

Confirmed: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61372712 

I enjoyed New Tricks (although it had very much jumped the shark by the time Nicholas Lyndhurst's one-dimensional character was introduced). It felt like the cast were given a license to have fun with the "hardened cop" tropes, and really had a lot of fun doing it.

He had a brother Peter who was a very good boxer who was British and European champion and the youngest competitor for GB at the 1952 Olympics.

Sadly for Peter he took a terrible beating from Dave Charnley and never boxed again

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Actor Robin Parkinson, from  'Allo 'Allo! and Button Moon, dies at 92: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61406036

got exactly the same voice as the guy who voices come dine with me 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Actor Fred Ward, from Tremors and The Right Stuff, among many other films. :kolobok_sad:

• Sad 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Actor Fred Ward, from Tremors and The Right Stuff, among many other films. :kolobok_sad:

No . Tremors one of my favourite films . Fred was also in one of the Naked Gun sequels I seem to remember 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No . Tremors one of my favourite films . Fred was also in one of the Naked Gun sequels I seem to remember 

Yes, he was in the third Naked Gun movie. My first experience of him was in Remo Williams: Unarmed and Dangerous.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, he was in the third Naked Gun movie. My first experience of him was in Remo Williams: Unarmed and Dangerous.

Can’t believe he was 79 ! 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Can’t believe he was 79 ! 

Well, he spent a long time looking older and more gnarled than his years, then stayed pretty much exactly the same for decades. You don't get that with pretty-boy actors.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just switched on the sports news this morning and the breaking news is that former Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds has been killed in a car accident in Townsville.  Bit of a shocker that.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Terrible news about "Roy" Symonds. A big RL fan and occasional player of the game, too.

• Sad 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Terrible news about "Roy" Symonds. A big RL fan and occasional player of the game, too.

As you might imagine, a lot of his former teammates are waking up to the news now and there are some very heartfelt responses out there.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)