Obituary Thread

1 hour ago, Gordon Street said:

I'm a republican but she has been part of part of my life from this day. That's me in the mask being held up by the lady on the left third from front. 

0F2FB5B6-09A9-484E-AED9-369892AD4971_1_105_c.jpeg

Gordon Street how confusing was it for you to attend a Street party?

• Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Personally I want a republic, but I understand it is a sad day for many, beyond her actual family.

Personally I found the afternoon media coverage borderline ghoulish prior to the announcement of her passing, she was still alive!

We should honour her and pay our respects with a state funeral.

The debate about the monarchy as an institution is for another time.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

• Like 1

It is day's like today when I feel the most affinity for the Royal Family.  Normally, they are an abstract entity that lives far on the periphery my life.

But today, when Charles has to address the nation the day after his mother has died- or when the young prince's William and Harry were cruelly forced to walk behind their mother's hearse - I see them as humans having to cope with their grief but in the most difficult of circumstances. 

Today, my thoughts are with the family of Queen Elizabeth II.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Personally I want a republic, but I understand it is a sad day for many, beyond her actual family.

Personally I found the afternoon media coverage borderline ghoulish prior to the announcement of her passing, she was still alive!

We should honour her and pay our respects with a state funeral.

The debate about the monarchy as an institution is for another time.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

There was a feeling that she might have already passed by the time they were on TV. This was my thought because if she was just very unwell she could have pulled through, it could've gone on for a few days and we could even potentially be in this situation a few times over and over again.

They were only going to announce something if it was definite IMO.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There was a feeling that she might have already passed by the time they were on TV. This was my thought because if she was just very unwell she could have pulled through, it could've gone on for a few days and we could even potentially be in this situation a few times over and over again.

They were only going to announce something if it was definite IMO.

During the afternoon on the BBC when they reporting that the Queen was under medical supervision everyone was in black even then, so they must have known how serious it was even then though they had to wait for the official statement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

During the afternoon on the BBC when they reporting that the Queen was under medical supervision everyone was in black even then, so they must have known how serious it was even then though they had to wait for the official statement.

Yes, it was very surreal all afternoon.

I was watching the horse racing, yet there was no mention of the Queen's illness. Usually everyone would have been giving their best wishes.

Responses to the Queen's death have interesting in my experience:

Real-life: people saying 'awww' a lot and generally saying they were sadder than they thought they'd have been.

Facebook: very similar with a lot of people posting something soppy about the Queen and Prince Philip.

Twitter: people making out like the Queen is basically worse than Hitler, the UK is like North Korea, people of x group shouldn't be sad because of x and subsequent outrage back and forth over reactions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Real-life: people saying 'awww' a lot and generally saying they were sadder than they thought they'd have been.

Facebook: very similar with a lot of people posting something soppy about the Queen and Prince Philip.

Twitter: people making out like the Queen is basically worse than Hitler, the UK is like North Korea, people of x group shouldn't be sad because of x and subsequent outrage back and forth over reactions.

This.

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think as a game we have paid a proper and respectful tribute.

The minutes' silences, the national anthem, the respect and eulogies from the presenters have been excellent.

• Like 1

French film-maker Jean-Luc Godard.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Sad 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson