Obituary Thread

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wilko Johnson

The template for the frenetic bug eyed punk guitarist and a genuine old fashioned eccentric 

https://youtu.be/RqqKJzmWET4

Just heard the sad news from a mate.

Wilko was one of the greatest live performers I've ever seen.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Wilko Johnson

The template for the frenetic bug eyed punk guitarist and a genuine old fashioned eccentric 

https://youtu.be/RqqKJzmWET4

Met him a couple of times through work.

Thoroughly decent guy.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Great guitarist, great sound. I saw him a few times over the years, the last time at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge.

Seen him in my youth.

Glad I made the effort to see him in Leeds three years or so ago.

One of my all time fav guitarists and all round top bloke. Proper gutted.

On 09/11/2022 at 10:20, Futtocks said:

Really great singer and a really great live band.

Nazareth guitarist Manny Charlton died this year as well. One of those who had his own sound.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Irene Carer. Only 63 years old.

It's Cara actually.

I hate to be wholly inappropriate but wasn't one of her most famous lines, "Fame, I'm gonna live forever." Apparently not.

9 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

Doddie Weir

Very sad news.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

28 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

Doddie Weir

Sad news. He had the same thing as Rob Burrow, didn't he? Such a horrible disease.

• Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Farmduck said:

It's Cara actually.

I hate to be wholly inappropriate but wasn't one of her most famous lines, "Fame, I'm gonna live forever." Apparently not.

Fame was such a massive TV phenomenon at the time, and she was right at the heart of it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes. I've personally known 2 people to have had and died from MND and it really is something I would not wish on even my worst enemy. 

I can only hope if I suffered the same sort of horrors as Rob Burrow and Doddie Weir that I'd have ten percent of the courage and dignity they showed

• Like 9

Albert Pyun, a solid-gold legend of B-Movies.
https://variety.com/2022/film/obituaries-people-news/albert-pyun-dead-nemesis-cyborg-captain-america-1235173286/

Here's one of his better-funded efforts, and it's a ton of fun (video not embedded, due to brief nudity): https://youtu.be/0Kt1UvRodIQ 

Ralph Waldo Emerson