Obituary Thread

21 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

He illustrated much of my youth and never failed to raise a smile.

Me too, very fond memories of his work.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Dick Fosbury, the man whose lateral thinking changed an entire sport forever: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/mar/13/dick-fosbury-olympic-champion-high-jump-flop-dies?CMP=share_btn_tw 

• Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Dick Fosbury, the man whose lateral thinking changed an entire sport forever: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/mar/13/dick-fosbury-olympic-champion-high-jump-flop-dies?CMP=share_btn_tw 

The '68 Olympics are the 1st I can remember. Dick Fosbury's flop, Bob Beamon nearly clearing the sand pit, David Hemery, ('who cares who's 3rd') John Sherwood and the 'Black Power' protest salutes being the things that stick out in those memories.

59 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Removed until confirmed.

Was that the news about Bryn Hargreaves? Confirmed by his family, unfortunately.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Was that the news about Bryn Hargreaves? Confirmed by his family, unfortunately.

Aye, I'd been sent a screenshot of a Facebook post by a Gareth Hargreaves but I wasn't sure if it was genuine but mainly, widely known yet.

Jon Bruce, ex-Huddersfield and Sheffield Eagles.

Jon is a legend at the Eagles, captain during the early reformation years and proper old school front row forward. 

Edited by tim2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Over 20 (30?) years ago. my team were playing in a quiz fixture at the Shipley Pride pub.  Two blokes sat by us so they could listen to the quiz. When the quiz finished, they got up and left. The landlord said "that was Lily Savage".

Paul O'Grady died today.

• Sad 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Over 20 (30?) years ago. my team were playing in a quiz fixture at the Shipley Pride pub.  Two blokes sat by us so they could listen to the quiz. When the quiz finished, they got up and left. The landlord said "that was Lily Savage".

Paul O'Grady died today.

A naturally funny bloke with or without the wig on RIP Paul 

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A naturally funny bloke with or without the wig on RIP Paul 

was one of the very few tv celebrity/personalities I actually liked - reason being? he always came across as very genuine - a "you get what you see" sort of guy - especially on his dog shows - the love for the dogs was there for all to see

• Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

was one of the very few tv celebrity/personalities I actually liked - reason being? he always came across as very genuine - a "you get what you see" sort of guy - especially on his dog shows - the love for the dogs was there for all to see

Certainly didn't take himself seriously , one of those you really wish you'd met 

Reading condolences for Paul O" Grady " an animal lover and champion of the underdog " .... no greater epitaph.  Rest in Peace

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Telegraph and Argus, today:

It was on a previous visit to the Alhambra, with the musical Prisoner Cell Block H, that he slipped out to buy cigarettes and returned having bought a flat in the shadow of Salt's Mill.

"It was just the best thing I ever did. I'm up here now more than I'm in London. It's great. It suits me."

"People look at you like you're mad when you mention Bradford," he says. "I was at a do recently and Bob Monkhouse mentioned that he had a place in Jamaica. So I said, 'I've got a place in Bradford'. Bit of a conversation stopper, that. But it's a great place, Bradford. So's Leeds.

It's just a pity that he let himself down so badly at the end of the interview.😉

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The country singer who wrote Asshole from El Paso, Nathan "Chinga" Chavin: https://www.timesofisrael.com/nathan-chavin-jewish-ad-exec-who-wrote-raunchy-country-western-hit-dies-at-78

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bernadette Hunt, better known as 'Falcon' from Gladiators aged 59. She always seemed to have a sense of fun and the general absurdity of Gladiators to me.

https://news.sky.com/story/gladiators-star-falcon-dies-aged-59-tributes-paid-to-most-lovely-ballerina-turned-bodybuilder-12846364

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The renowned Japanese composer and producer Ryuichi Sakamoto, admired for his electronic music experimentation, has died aged 71.

He won awards - including an Oscar, a Grammy and Bafta - for his work as a solo artist and as a member of the Yellow Magic Orchestra.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65155073

• Like 1