Obituary Thread

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Mike McFarlane, former British sprinter, aged 63.

Not yet - sorry that the link is from The S*n, others may be available

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22537173/mike-mcfarlane-family-statement-olympic-commonwealth/

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Rumours doing the rounds (from fairly reliable sources) that Tony McPhee of The Groundhogs has died.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Rumours doing the rounds (from fairly reliable sources) that Tony McPhee of The Groundhogs has died.

Confirmed in the press. Saw them several times.

A noise from my youth: The record company was named after this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POGsy9Ru9sE

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

First real rock band I saw live Oldham Tech circa 1973, last saw McPhee live at Wigan Beer Engine about 25 years later. Powerful guitarist and probably never got the recognition he deserved.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The Groundhogs lacked a proper rock singer who could have a writing input. Too many of their songs included extended guitar breaks that lost the punch of the lyrics. None of the band was good looking.

All that was obvious even at the time (1970's) but I think Tony McFee was too autocratic to let someone else come in. Biff Byford would have been the business.

Whether he did augment the band later, I don't know. I stopped listening to them after the second album.

Pity, he was a really great guitarist.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Pat Robertson, TV Evangelist and arch-Republican, aged 93.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65846402

Or, has his Wikipedia entry currently says (but probably not for long)

image.png.11324964a2a4548168986f4b701f6a3e.png

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 07/06/2023 at 12:27, Wolford6 said:

Confirmed in the press. Saw them several times.

A noise from my youth: The record company was named after this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POGsy9Ru9sE

I still listen to Split. I think it's a great album.

Just been reading a couple of obituaries. I had no idea he was born in Humberston.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 01/06/2023 at 22:09, tim2 said:

Not yet - sorry that the link is from The S*n, others may be available

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22537173/mike-mcfarlane-family-statement-olympic-commonwealth/

Eventually passed away on 6th June.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Futtocks are you the grim reaper himself, you've always got your finger on the pulse (or lack thereof). 

When he knocks on your door and you ask "Who's there?", instead of "Death" as his answer, he just has to say "Futtocks", same inevitable outcome.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Glenda Jackson

Superb actor, not a bad politician either. Who can forget Morecambe & Wise.

RIP Glenda.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Gordon McQueen - Man Utd, Leeds Utd and Scotland - aged 70.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63664992

• Sad 1