Obituary Thread

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

• Sad 4

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Derbyshire and England cricketer Mike Hendrick, 72. I saw him bowl once on a grey morning at Chesterfield with a wicket like a Cornish Yarg cheese. I don't think the batsmen hit a single one of his first 24 balls. The first one who did edged it to Bob Taylor. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

56 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Derbyshire and England cricketer Mike Hendrick, 72. I saw him bowl once on a grey morning at Chesterfield with a wicket like a Cornish Yarg cheese. I don't think the batsmen hit a single one of his first 24 balls. The first one who did edged it to Bob Taylor. 

That is almost poetry :kolobok_biggrin:

On 18/07/2021 at 14:23, graveyard johnny said:

Tom O Conner 81

Joey Barton was a big fan. He said “RIP Tom O'Connell”.
Didnt Mr O’Conner have an affair with a teenage prostitute ?. Or was that Tom O’Connell ?. 

17 hours ago, tim2 said:

Sounding very Jim Lakeresque there, Tim mate.

I remember watching the 1979 World Cup Final from Lords. Hendrick was bowling to Viv Richards who was in fantastic form. Richards belted one delivery straight back at Hendrick who might have been able to pull off a sensational caught and bowled if he'd made the effort.

But instead, he ducked.

No criticism from the commentator who suggested it had been a wise move.

Edited by Old Frightful

England RU Coach Eddie Jones : "I spent a bit of time up at Hull and I like the full back there Connor, he's a tough, skilful player"

Jake Connor : "I've never played Union, it doesn't look that hard, you never say never but it looks too boring for me"

Double post.

Edited by Old Frightful

England RU Coach Eddie Jones : "I spent a bit of time up at Hull and I like the full back there Connor, he's a tough, skilful player"

Jake Connor : "I've never played Union, it doesn't look that hard, you never say never but it looks too boring for me"

Ron "set it and forget it" Popeil, founder of Ronco, who made many convenience products, some of which actually worked.

On 27/07/2021 at 22:06, metallithrax said:

Good drummer. Only like a couple of Slipknot songs but he played along side Metallica at some events. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 27/07/2021 at 14:07, DavidM said:

Very sad , I enjoyed watching him bowl as a kid . Nice action and very accurate . He induced so  many plays and misses

Couldn't bat, said he didn't see why bowlers had to bat!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

11 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Good drummer. Only like a couple of Slipknot songs but he played along side Metallica at some events. 

Donington 2004, Joey Jordison and Dave Lombardo played most of the set when Lars Ulrich was in hospital.  An amazing show considering the way it had to be pulled together.

Also, Dusty Hill of ZZ Top

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58006978

• 2 weeks later...