Obituary Thread

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I used to love Les Patterson !

I bought this show on audio cassette years ago. Until fairly recently, I had no idea it was also filmed.

Warning: this is a fair bit more NSFW than Sir Les' more familiar TV material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lily savage and dame edna in a matter of weeks!

I hadn't thought of that - the superstition is that these things go in threes, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re Barry Humphries, I agree that Dame Edna and Sir Les Patterson were classics, but let's not forget Barry McKenzie, another Humphries creation (albeit, I have read, one suggested by Peter Cook), who graced the pages of 'Private Eye' for many years from the mid-'60s.

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Re Barry Humphries, I agree that Dame Edna and Sir Les Patterson were classics, but let's not forget Barry McKenzie, another Humphries creation (albeit, I have read, one suggested by Peter Cook), who graced the pages of 'Private Eye' for many years from the mid-'60s.

He also recorded a few tracks for the Private Eye flexi-discs as Barry. I need to seek those out online, as I'm sure somebody's uploaded them somewhere.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I bought this show on audio cassette years ago. Until fairly recently, I had no idea it was also filmed.

Warning: this is a fair bit more NSFW than Sir Les' more familiar TV material.

That’s absolutely brilliant!

• Like 1

The Wigan Rugby Riverside Club legend John Martin.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/04/25/john-martin-1945-2023/

Edited by Padge
  • Sad 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

his version of "marys boy child" is a thing of true wonder

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I hadn't seen this before, but if someone's going to unexpectedly sing a tribute to you at the end of a long day, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Smokey Robinson are a decent trio.

• Like 4

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

have we missed Peter Martin from the Royle family? Joe Carrol from next door!

and Brassed Off

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Jerry Springer 79

His show was brilliant. You were never entirely sure which "guests" were genuine and which were putting on an act. And he always managed to keep a straight face.

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/assessment/1998/03/jerry_springer.html

On Springer's show, men learn their girlfriends are actually boys; wives learn their husbands are sleeping with their sisters or ex-wives or both; women learn that their 13-year-old daughters are strippers or their 60-year-old mothers are whores; fat people are poked and prodded and berated. Springer is an endless parade of losers, perverts, and exhibitionists.

RIP Jerry; you gave a lot of us a barrel of laughs.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 27/04/2023 at 06:57, graveyard johnny said:

have we missed Peter Martin from the Royle family? Joe Carrol from next door!

Sad news, a very funny man with a brilliant dry sense of humour.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

18 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

His show was brilliant. You were never entirely sure which "guests" were genuine and which were putting on an act. And he always managed to keep a straight face.

https://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/assessment/1998/03/jerry_springer.html

On Springer's show, men learn their girlfriends are actually boys; wives learn their husbands are sleeping with their sisters or ex-wives or both; women learn that their 13-year-old daughters are strippers or their 60-year-old mothers are whores; fat people are poked and prodded and berated. Springer is an endless parade of losers, perverts, and exhibitionists.

RIP Jerry; you gave a lot of us a barrel of laughs.

I think his show ran out of ideas after a few seasons, and the really weird themes were replaced by a more repetitive sequence of relationship battles.

But how many TV shows had a security guard that the fans knew by name and even ended up with his own show?

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Carolyn Bryant Donham, whose false accusation led to the murder of Emmett Till.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/27/us/carolyn-bryant-donham-emmett-till/index.html

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Wee Willie Harris 90 

You had to be good to be one of Ian Dury's reasons to be cheerful.

• Haha 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.