Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Catalans refuse to pay Challenge Cup deposit (Merged Threads)

The decision of the RFL is stupid that goes against the spirit of and the foundations of this competition. And then wanting to charge others for these own failures is a big ######.

• Like 1

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Accepted, but the instances I refer to are where the bigteams get drawn against each other. Our crowds are way way down for those games.

I love the Challenge Cup, but I am slowly coming round to the view that it is harming the game in the way we work it.

Are we (I say we, I mean the RFL and Super League) not harming the Challenge Cup rather than the Challenge Cup harming the game? It’s become a byproduct of the game because of Super League.

• Like 3

The challenge cup is a throw back to when the game was more popular with more participation and bigger crowds.

It's just not relevant any more now the game is on it's knees and run by numpties.......... we should get rid of it and have the top four play each other over and over again in Miami ?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Hope to see all clubs threaten to walk out of the RFL and setup own Federation. This is just the latest crazy decision from the RFL. It seems nobody is accountable at the RFL. I didnt think things could get much worse after Nige. But Rimmer has achieved this big style!And this constant poor decision making is hurting the Game and Clubs. Are no clubs going to question the way the RFL are killing the game?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Hope to see all clubs threaten to walk out of the RFL and setup own Federation. This is just the latest crazy decision from the RFL. It seems nobody is accountable at the RFL. I didnt think things could get much worse after Nige. But Rimmer has achieved this big style!And this constant poor decision making is hurting the Game and Clubs. Are no clubs going to question the way the RFL are killing the game?

SL clubs did and then got slaughtered for it by most on here. 

If the RFL cannot afford Wembley then it raises the obvious question of moving the Cup from Wembley.

To me the Cup IS Wembley but the Cup has been superseded by the Super League Grand Final as the premier domestic event. That is an inescapable truth.

The Challenge Cup Final is a listed sporting event by the government and moving it from Wembley would be a hammer blow to the credibility of the competition and, indeed, the sport. What is to be done?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Are we (I say we, I mean the RFL and Super League) not harming the Challenge Cup rather than the Challenge Cup harming the game? It’s become a byproduct of the game because of Super League.

Yes I think we are suggesting a similar thing, what we have done with the cup is harming the game. It is a brilliant comp with so much negativity around it. We are drowning in the negativity.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

In RL yes.

Man Utd withdrew from the 1999/00 FA Cup when they were the holders, didn't do that competition too much harm.

Many football fans believe it was one of many factors in the decline of the competition. It's still strong, but undoubtedly weaker than it was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

In RL yes.

Man Utd withdrew from the 1999/00 FA Cup when they were the holders, didn't do that competition too much harm.

Bit of a thread drift this post. But I think Man United were somewhat pressurised by the FA to participate in the World Club Championship, because they thought it would assist in the bid for the 2006 FIFA World Cup. They got slated in the media, but it wasn’t all their decision to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the RFLs valuation of the difference between what hypothetically the attendance would be with non charged clubs and those clubs that are being told they MUST pay an indemnity is massively out for a start off based on actual revenue.

Also if they had sacked big Nige 2 years ago and and not paid him off with some ridiculous handout for swapping to another overpaid job he'll be incompetent at then that would cover this indemnity and more.

I normally go to Wembley whoever goes as it's just down the road for me, this year I'm just not going to because of this, and I won't take the 3 or 4 others I normally bring, sod 'em! In fact might spend the money toward a trip to watch Hull at Catalans instead!

3 hours ago, Padge said:

You are insulting amateurs, they ( the RFL ) are not that good.

and what about poor short sighted people? why should they cop for the rfls incompetance

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

On a slightly different point - we whinge about the beeb and other perceived union biased media getting stuff wrong about RL. However, this illustrious publication has published that Catalans are a "non-Super League" club.

http://www.totalrl.com/catalans-to-quit-challenge-cup/

"As a result, the RFL missed out on a lot of projected revenue and made the decision to request a bond from the three non-Super League clubs in order to cover their finances moving forward."

Can't help ourselves, eh?

• Like 1

When are we going to gather our pitchforks and make a stance against this abject hierarchy? This is the most outrageous and misjudged decision yet from the deplorable governing body, and that's saying something. 

Come on folks. It's time....

I try to take a reasonable approach, but wonder how it is possible for an organisation to respond to the fantastic publicity of Catalans Dragon's victory in the Challenge Cup, followed by the amazing Nou Camo initiative, by adopting a policy which is universally (or near as dammit) slated.

Edited by Manxmanc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

SL clubs did and then got slaughtered for it by most on here. 

** I am not a troll ** - The Magic at Anfield may show the decision making by Super League isn't that brilliant,either.

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If the RFL cannot afford Wembley then it raises the obvious question of moving the Cup from Wembley.

To me the Cup IS Wembley but the Cup has been superseded by the Super League Grand Final as the premier domestic event. That is an inescapable truth.

The Challenge Cup Final is a listed sporting event by the government and moving it from Wembley would be a hammer blow to the credibility of the competition and, indeed, the sport. What is to be done?

It won't move from Wembley after signing a new deal - or it may prove very costly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46193469

Maybe Catalans could remain in contact with those at the Nou Camp/Camp Nou,and after reading the Junior Sau piece follow association football and host a 'European Cup' - I'm sure Wigan, Hull FC  et al would wish to be involved.It's a big city so Toronto may wish to involve themselves.

Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

I'd be tempted to loan the better players to Red Star and make them a force in the CC to screw over the RFL. Would be funny to see egg on their face.

Look, I get the rationale behind the decision, but the timing and presentation of it is just bloody awful. The amount of damage caused by this decision already is proving how ridiculous it is.

Why not work with the non-English clubs to develop a new competition for them and give it a positive spin? Toronto, Toulouse, Catalans, maybe some other French teams and even a USARL team (or rep team or invitational) on top of clubs like Red Star could be a great little comp to develop alongside the CC, let new clubs dip their toes into a more pro set up, let them have the rub against some big name clubs like CD, TO and TWP.

• Like 2

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

No ideas and not even trying, the challenge cup is done. Its heartbreaking but the challenge cup is dying and its only a matter of time.

• Like 1

To put a positive slant to all this I'm sure it will help the RFL nail down a sponsor for this prestigious competition.....

?

• Haha 4

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I've started writing this post a few times without success. I just don't know what to say. 

It is absolutely disgusting and idiotic that people that run a sport seem to care so little about the stability, organisation and public perception of its premier competitions. This is literally the only sport, ONLY SPORT, where the governing body would treat some of their most important clubs so badly. The 3 overseas teams are supposed to be the teams we are nurturing and giving as much help as possible to grow. By demanding money we might as well be threatening them with a knife and mugging them. It's almost like people in charge don't want the game to grow. Instead of demanding money if anything the RFL should be giving them money, subsidising their travel and fans away tickets or something along those lines or instead of moaning about low final attendances they could have done discounts for fans of other teams, put on free or discounted travel to get people to go instead of sitting round whinging. They should be giving them as much aid as possible to ensure they grow. Catalans and toulouse could be major teams in French sport in general but it isn't gonna happen with the idiots at the RFL in charge.

Catalans are gonna parade the trophy at Barcelona. There is a reason football is as massive as it is. There is stability, there is a plan, the competitions do not get messed around every year and structures do not change constantly. People know what is going on. It is a joke that the RFL could potentially have created a situation where the defending champions of their most famous competition will not compete and any potential new fans in Barcelona, football fans, will just see us as a laughing stock, as will the general public (who already do) when the media catch hold of it. The challenge Cup is the one thing in our game that the governing bodies around the world haven't basically ripped apart but I guess it was only a matter of time. 

There is nothing wrong with the actual sport, nothing wrong with the actual game, it is the greatest sport in the world but the people that run it are, quite frankly, morons, and I hope to God they read this forum because I'm really reaching the end of my tether with them.  They go on about attendances dropping but they don't realise that so many fans are walking away because they are fed up with this sort of thing. It is so frustrating how badly they treat our sport! 

The 3 overseas teams are absolutely right in not paying any money to those greedy ####s! 

I think that's everything I wanted to say. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1