York’s cup match thread

Batley Bob

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Brev played, Taira didn't. Taira wasn't the only one who didn't play, but he had an excuse, wasn't on the pitch!! I've waited a while to post just to read some comments....my opinion is that we were pretty awful, York were far better with ball in hand, made more, and better, breaks and the better side lost. Looking at the listed 20, IMO 17 of those will be regular starters and they didn't fill me with confidence that we can be the best part-time team in our league. Our forwards were mostly invisible throughout, Campbell, Rettie and Wood were the biggest carriers out of defence, organisation and go forward went out the window without Leak, and REALLY didn't follow the withdrawing of Scott. I know Yates needed a run out, but we then lost Jouffret to prompt down the hill. V Bulls MD needs to put out the 17 he intends to go into the season with and keep it to 17 men, not 20. This will allow settling and understanding.

I thought the forwards did ok apart from a couple of missed tackles in the middle  that lead to two soft tries 

In the backs I thought we did ok but it wasn’t crisp and flowing it looked clumsy at times where as they looked crisp and quick when they spread the ball and the interchanges in the 2nd half didn’t help us 

I have noticed the last three matches we have played when Leak is with drawn we loose things like organisation his defence is none stop and go forward I do think he’s  underrated by many 

On to next week I’d hope we can compete and get Kears fingers tapping  It would be nice to give the Bulls a reality check ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thought it were a decent game to be fair in the conditions, york will do well for sure and have a few scalps this next season,a well drilled side with pace to burn and just seem to know when to step it up a bit with some great flowing well coached rugby. great to watch and a good time for a york fan for sure. i think they suprised us with the pace at the start and we looked lost and couldent get to grips with the game for half an hour, i like the look a dickinson and hes got plenty a power and did plenty a dummy runs too to baffle defence.brownie tried too hard at times and he must be aching a bit this morning as his workload was massive,need to see more a yates and leave scotty alone hes gotta be best Fb in championship. i did think we would have enough for york downhill but we made hard work of it, showed a few great moves that almost came off and finished the game how i hope we start next one without some a the one man stuff we went thru for 15 minutes in second half. i think once some a the lads get into swing a things we have a team that will play some cracking rugby and pull off a few upsets this next season all day long,, UP THE DOGGIES.:bb::read::popcorn:

Wouldn't say we were awful PD but agree that York were nippier, quicker at moving the ball and generally all round (IMO) fitter than us.  The big disappointment was after scoring two quick tries after half time which put us right back in the game we were unable to break their defence again until a few minutes from the end.  Considering the amount of possession we had in their 20 we should have opened them up and scored more points.  Our tactics seem to be either to bring a big man on the bounce at the play the ball and hope he can barge through or fling it out to Dom who chips it towards the winger. We don't seem to have many other ploys to break teams down near their line.

23 hours ago, Johndeere said:

On to next week I’d hope we can compete and get Kears fingers tapping  It would be nice to give the Bulls a reality check ?

Made me laugh get Kears fingers tapping ?? 

unsure about reality check where a newly promoted championship team the aim this year is not to get relegated.

toronto, Toulouse and Widnes the 3 too beat.

still like to see how we get on at the mount has ive said before always close affairs. Late Bradford win then the late penalty for the draw.

just hope for a decent game front off a big crowd im coming with another 7 people for this one.

First of all as a York fan I would like to say thank you to Batley Bulldogs staff and their fans in the local pubs and inside the ground made us feel very welcome. We know this season is a going to be totally different to last season and as fans we was using this game as a bench mark  to see if we could hold our own with a team that is well established in the championship and I pleased to say I think we will do ok .

Best of luck for the season 

Archived