Challenge Cup Solution

I believe Catalans, along with Toulouse and Toronto have been asked to pay a £500,000 bond to enter the challenge cup, something they are quite rightly refusing to do, as no UK team will be asked to pay, regardless of how few tickets they sell.

I have a solution to this problem, and the RFL’s inability to sell tickets for the Wembley Final.

I believe clubs receive some price money for reaching various stages of the tournament. This prize money could be replaced with tickets for the final. Each club would then keep the revenue from selling these tickets.

For example, if your knocked out in the last 32 you get 500 tickets, in the last 16 you get 750 tickets, in the quarter final you get 1250 final tickets. Knocked out in the semi final you get 2500 tickets. Reach the final you 10,000 tickets to sell. 

If the clubs sell these tickets along with the extras sold by the RFL Wembley will be full. If clubs (say Toronto) don’t manage to sell their tickets, it’s their own prize money they have missed out on and haven’t cost the RFL anything. I’m sure under this model every Super League and Championship club would be running coach trips to Wembley.  

Dont clubs already get allocations?

If the comp is losing money, despite its tv deal, sponsorship portfolio and huge crowd for the final, then we have issues. We need to up those three levers, but also look at how the income is being distributed - share the prize money as %profit share.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If the comp is losing money, despite its tv deal, sponsorship portfolio and huge crowd for the final, then we have issues. We need to up those three levers, but also look at how the income is being distributed - share the prize money as %profit share.

The real problem for the challenge cup is the RFL itself. They have no idea how to market an event, and lets not forget Rimmers comment this year when the Catalans reached the final about having to use Plan B. What ever Plan B was it didn't work, but does any know what Plan A was?

The only way the rfl can be moved is through the clubs. Instead of badly written petitions people need to force their clubs to collectively tell the rfl to stop this farce. The clubs also need to actively promote the cup as a requirement of membership of the rfl or SL. Any change to the sport in this country is done with the backing and commitment of the clubs. 

38 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The real problem for the challenge cup is the RFL itself. They have no idea how to market an event, and lets not forget Rimmers comment this year when the Catalans reached the final about having to use Plan B. What ever Plan B was it didn't work, but does any know what Plan A was?

Plan B was sell discounted tickets on groupon.

Plan A was to hope the clubs in the final sell out Wembley. 

And we pay Rimmer big bucks to come up with this!

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

As bad as the RFL are I would be amazed if it is losing money with the Challenge Cup per se. It may not be making as much as the RFL hope or project for but even I doubt that they are that incompetent to actually lose money on it. The trouble is the RFL are evidently that dependent on the revenue from it, and that is totally their fault, that they then have less money for the rest of its operations. The Challenge Cup has traditionally have always had a poor sponsorship deal and a poor TV deal and now are getting poor crowds which no longer offset the former. All three once again firmly lay at the door of the RFL.

10 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I believe Catalans, along with Toulouse and Toronto have been asked to pay a £500,000 bond to enter the challenge cup, something they are quite rightly refusing to do, as no UK team will be asked to pay, regardless of how few tickets they sell.

I have a solution to this problem, and the RFL’s inability to sell tickets for the Wembley Final.

I believe clubs receive some price money for reaching various stages of the tournament. This prize money could be replaced with tickets for the final. Each club would then keep the revenue from selling these tickets.

For example, if your knocked out in the last 32 you get 500 tickets, in the last 16 you get 750 tickets, in the quarter final you get 1250 final tickets. Knocked out in the semi final you get 2500 tickets. Reach the final you 10,000 tickets to sell. 

If the clubs sell these tickets along with the extras sold by the RFL Wembley will be full. If clubs (say Toronto) don’t manage to sell their tickets, it’s their own prize money they have missed out on and haven’t cost the RFL anything. I’m sure under this model every Super League and Championship club would be running coach trips to Wembley.  

So, in theory Wembley is full.

Then who pays the rent and other costs for Wembley?.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

The only way the rfl can be moved is through the clubs. Instead of badly written petitions people need to force their clubs to collectively tell the rfl to stop this farce. The clubs also need to actively promote the cup as a requirement of membership of the rfl or SL. Any change to the sport in this country is done with the backing and commitment of the clubs. 

Aren't the Catalans, Toulouse and Toronto members of the RFL? and it appears the RFL don't want them in the cup

This situation is an absolute embarrassment to our sport. I'd be happy for my club to withdraw from the cup in solidarity with Toronto, Toulouse and the Dragons. We are supposed to be one family after all 

Time for those running the game ( or should that be ruining the game) to resign 

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

So, in theory Wembley is full.

Then who pays the rent and other costs for Wembley?.

In an ideal world, Bearman, the answer would be

(a) the RFL from the tickets they sell, as the intriguing suggestion from Sir KS only accounts for the sale of 24,000 tickets by clubs knocked out in the four, pre-final rounds; and

(b) the sponsors skilfully secured by the enterprise of the RFL.

As I say, 'an ideal world'...

What I find particularly disturbing about this mess is that the RFL don't seem to have been able to see it coming. Apart from this looking ridiculous to anyone outside the game - the Cup Holders not being allowed to defend the trophy - it also seems to have united both expansionists and traditionalists in contemptuous derision at what is quite clearly a mad decision. 

Yet nobody involved in the decision-making seems to have been able to predict this, or think it through. That's a serious lack of intelligence. Even the most junior civil servant is capable of putting together a pros and cons list of any policy proposal. Most of us are capable of identifying the potential pitfalls of major financial decisions in our personal lives too. But here's a decision made by men who are extremely well-paid, and in charge of our sport, and it seems to demonstrate a complete inability to predict this outcome.

That should trouble anyone who cares for our sport, because it suggests those in charge are genuinely not capable of running the proverbial whelk stall.

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

In an ideal world, Bearman, the answer would be

(a) the RFL from the tickets they sell, as the intriguing suggestion from Sir KS only accounts for the sale of 24,000 tickets by clubs knocked out in the four, pre-final rounds; and

(b) the sponsors skilfully secured by the enterprise of the RFL.

As I say, 'an ideal world'...

I make Sir Kevs total 44000

Last 32 =16@500=8000

+ Last 16=8@750=6000

+ Last8=4@1250=5000

+ Last 4=2@2500=5000

+ Last 2@10000 =20000

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I make Sir Kevs total 44000

Last 32 =16@500=8000

+ Last 16=8@750=6000

+ Last8=4@1250=5000

+ Last 4=2@2500=5000

+ Last 2@10000 =20000

Apologies, Bearman.  Although what I said was an accurate reflection of Sir Kev's suggestion in so far as I took it, it wasn't comprehensive in that I omitted the onus he suggested might be put on the finalists themselves (for the record, I blame an agreeable, Saturday evening glass or two for my oversight!).  However, given that the most recent 'all-England' final attracted about 68, 000, can we really not expect the wonderfully inventive and original marketing gurus at the RFL to sell more than a mere 24,000 tickets?

In recent years, the FA Cup had lost its sparkle. That didn't go unnoticed and i think its fair to say action has been tsken to reverse its decline. Today, BBC Radio 5 live was more or less dedicated to the FA Cup. Wall to wall coverage.  Historic games, giant killers, interviews with players, fans, managers, pundits etc. Live radio commentaries on two channels, plus TV round up and comprehensive MotD

We are never going to get that level of coverage, but given the BBCs committment to the Cup as outlined in the presentation to the Parliamrntary Rugby League group, i feel sure the BBC would be receptive to a development plan from the RFL, especially with Dave Woods  doing a good job from within the BBC.  The involvement of overseas teams like Red Star, Cats,  Wolfpack etc is domething i believe would help. As they say round here, "what have we got Toulouse". The current shambles over  guarantees from  these clubs will not hrlp our cause.

Archived