I don't know much about Art, but dot dot dot

About time we had another Art thread. Anything goes, as long as it floats your boat.

Prompted by a Birthday gift of a DVD about landscape artist Andy Goldsworthy, amongst other things. Here's a sample of what he does; often lasting a few minutes before the wind or the water carries it away.

land-art-andy-goldsworthy-fb.png

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I enjoy art documentaries on tv by people like Waldemar Januszsak . I know pretty much zero about it but I think I’m a traditionalist as I love the Old Masters as in the Renaissance . I look at them and I just think how on earth can anyone do that ? Just blows my mind . There was an interesting documentary on Holbein to . I guess all of this is intertwined with history so that’ll be grabbing me I guess 

Edited by DavidM

Working in a charity shop this Summer, we received some prints that looked very much like Johannes Vermeer's. A bit of research showed it was by Pieter de Hooch, albeit very much in the style of Vermeer. A nice discovery.

interior-with-a-mother-delousing-her-chi

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Working in a charity shop this Summer, we received some prints that looked very much like Johannes Vermeer's. A bit of research showed it was by Pieter de Hooch, albeit very much in the style of Vermeer. A nice discovery.

lucky you-in our charity shop we only get Tesco jeans with a 26 inch waist and 38inch inside leg, or dvds of the full monty

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don’t know if you’ve seen An Audience With Peter Ustinov , brilliant raconteur . He tells an amusing anecdote based around Pieter de Hooch ... it’s on you tube and it’s pretty near the start 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lucky you-in our charity shop we only get Tesco jeans with a 26 inch waist and 38inch inside leg, or dvds of the full monty

Oh, we got plenty of those too.

Or, on a really bad day, DVDs featuring Will Ferrell.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

About time we had another Art thread. Anything goes, as long as it floats your boat.

Prompted by a Birthday gift of a DVD about landscape artist Andy Goldsworthy, amongst other things. Here's a sample of what he does; often lasting a few minutes before the wind or the water carries it away.

land-art-andy-goldsworthy-fb.png

Reminds me of some stopframe video art I once saw at the Tate Modern.

Someone had basically set up a camera in a canopy facing the jungle floor which was inhabited by large ants.

They then dropped various small colourful items on the jungle floor and zoomed out the camera completely

It looked like a real-life abstract expressionism action painting speeded up as the barely visible ants took hold of various small colourful items and carried them around in many directions.

• Like 1

Luckily for me, I’m getting to tick off something I’ve always wanted to do this year and visit the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Unfortunately it’s a visit at night as part of a cruise excursion and it’s slightly limited, although there won’t be the crowds that can sour the enjoyment of some popular art galleries and museums.

Anyone been? 

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Luckily for me, I’m getting to tick off something I’ve always wanted to do this year and visit the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Unfortunately it’s a visit at night as part of a cruise excursion and it’s slightly limited, although there won’t be the crowds that can sour the enjoyment of some popular art galleries and museums.

Anyone been? 

My mum went to St Petersburg, as a favour for an old and somewhat frail friend who didn't like to travel alone. On the second day of their trip, said friend had a very nasty fall, and they didn't get to see more than a fraction of their itinerary, including the Hermitage.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

My mum went to St Petersburg, as a favour for an old and somewhat frail friend who didn't like to travel alone. On the second day of their trip, said friend had a very nasty fall, and they didn't get to see more than a fraction of their itinerary, including the Hermitage.

That’s a real shame in every sense.

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It’s stunning 

49 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Try the facebook group "Terrible Art in Charity Shops" - there are some belters on there.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

32 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone been? 

Yes, very impressive but during the day it was heaving. I queued to see a Da Vinci piece behind a line of Korean tourists who didn't actually look at it but took photos on their iPads.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Don’t folk find hidden gems in charity shops and masterpieces .... on flog it they do. 

Indeed. The issue often (as you discover on the facebook group) is that one person's masterpiece is another's terrible travesty.

30 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Don’t folk find hidden gems in charity shops and masterpieces .... on flog it they do. 

You sometimes find nice stuff for a steal, but just as often find stuff that has been priced after a cursory look on eBay, when a staff member has found a stupidly optimistic asking price and believed that's the going rate.

The @VinylStupidity Twitter account is usually a good place to see some of these unrealistic valuations.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I actually really like that, usually art leaves me a bit nonplussed but I could quite happily look at that day after day, and probably find something new in it every time.

I did a touristy thing in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and go into the Scottish National Gallery just off Princes Street and spent about two hours just wandering around.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and it isn't something I'd done before.

Their website is fantastic as well as you can view most of their art in seriously high resolution, allowing you to zoom right into the detail.  This is one of my favourites by John Constable.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I loved Tony Hart when I was a kid . Millions grew up watching him , real likeable gent as well . Watching him create a piece of art from nothing , and seeing morph and naughty chas get up to all kinds of mischief to . Loved it

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

David Hockney did a lot of his early sketches quite close to where I grew up. If I'm ever at one of his exhibitions, I like to make out I'm some kind of Hockney expert by impressing the various luvvies with my knowledge of which chippy this was painted in and so forth.

I do like his stuff though.

Salts Mill in Saltaire is a fantastic place for any Hockney fan and generally quite nice in spring/summer.

I’m always impressed by his photographic collages.

It’s a good place to trek back on the way to Bradford, where the residential independent restaurants serving all kinds of Indian subcontinent foods (different from the anglicised curry places) are a good shout for a quick authentic meal.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

37 minutes ago, ckn said:

I did a touristy thing in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and go into the Scottish National Gallery just off Princes Street and spent about two hours just wandering around.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and it isn't something I'd done before.

Their website is fantastic as well as you can view most of their art in seriously high resolution, allowing you to zoom right into the detail.  This is one of my favourites by John Constable.

How had you not been before you absolute pleb?

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

How had you not been before you absolute pleb?

For much the same reason as most people don't do things in areas they know well.  They go elsewhere and do touristy stuff but not in their own back-yard.

I live just 10 minutes drive from the area where Constable did most of his paintings, it's a fantastically beautiful part of England yet most people around here have never been.

I only did the Edinburgh thing as my wife was off for a hairdo session that would take about 3 hours and I was looking for something to do.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"