I don't know much about Art, but dot dot dot

On 1/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, Johnoco said:

David Hockney did a lot of his early sketches quite close to where I grew up. If I'm ever at one of his exhibitions, I like to make out I'm some kind of Hockney expert by impressing the various luvvies with my knowledge of which chippy this was painted in and so forth.

I do like his stuff though.

Went to his exhibition at The Royal Academy a few years back. I really like his Yorkshire Wolds stuff.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 09/01/2019 at 11:48, Gerrumonside ref said:

Art is for everyone in my opinion.

There’s just a preconceived notion that it can only be enjoyed by certain social groups.

As some will know, I am a Primary Headteacher in an extremely deprived area. Our art curriculum is bonkers compared to even just a few years ago. Children between the ages of 5-11 come across the following artists (painters, printers, frescos, sculptors etc);

Mondrian, Matisse, Gatsfield, Reader, Goldsworthy, Hill, Arcimboldo, Constable, Cobra, Ardizzone, Stokes, Monet, Pitloo, Koster, Brauer and Lowry.

In each case, they study the style and reproduce this in their own work. Some of they stuff they come up with is naff, but other creations are absolutely superb. But, far more impressive than the actual piece they produce is their ability to talk about the social, historical and cultural aspects of the works they have studied. They really do enjoy studying art, even at such an age.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 2

Mary Beard did an excellent art/open programme tonight.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Mary Berry did an excellent art/open programme tonight.

Mary Beard's going to kneecap that baker for moving in on her territory... :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 08/01/2019 at 19:54, Futtocks said:

About time we had another Art thread. Anything goes, as long as it floats your boat.

Prompted by a Birthday gift of a DVD about landscape artist Andy Goldsworthy, amongst other things. Here's a sample of what he does; often lasting a few minutes before the wind or the water carries it away.

land-art-andy-goldsworthy-fb.png

Fascinating. Does anyone know what the little leaf-shaped pieces are made of?  Are they real leaves or petals? Some kind of very light paper perhaps? Although that would tend to make him persona-non-grata in most places. It makes you look, which is good for all of us - looking, I mean.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

Just really fell for the pitmen painters especially Norman Cornish. Good job I don't give a political monkeys now and can say  " ,,, but I know what I love!"

Short list of other preferences:

Bernie Fuchs, Letitia Inyang Ntofon, Norman Lewis and Charles White.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Honor James said:

Fascinating. Does anyone know what the little leaf-shaped pieces are made of?  Are they real leaves or petals? Some kind of very light paper perhaps? Although that would tend to make him persona-non-grata in most places. It makes you look, which is good for all of us - looking, I mean.

Andy Goldsworthy uses what he finds on-site, so I assume they are leaves and petals.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/02/2022 at 18:38, Graham said:

He also does a lot set in his "Kensington" studio.

Good artist but I'll take it that he's not a candidate for dying a pauper in a Paris estaminet then!

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Good artist but I'll take it that he's not a candidate for dying a pauper in a Paris estaminet then!

No he has had recognition in his lifetime and his originals go for prices beyond which I’m prepared to go.

https://www.artsy.net/artist/ken-howard

Edited by Graham

10 minutes ago, Graham said:

No he has had recognition in his lifetime and his originals go for prices beyond which I’m prepared to go.

https://www.artsy.net/artist/ken-howard

Recognition while he's still alive! Prices beyond your regions! Kensington! And no  garret to  waste away in! And Calls himself an artist.

I don't know what the world's coming to, no respect for tradition and old fahsioned values.

• Haha 1

Despite being dragged up in the heart of Lowry-land (who knows, I might even have been one of his stick men 😀) one of my favourites is Norman Rockwell. Regarded more as an illustrator than an artist, his images told their own stories. My dad used to bring home Saturday Evening Post magazines sent from the USA, which is how I was introduced to Rockwell's art.

On 04/02/2022 at 18:12, Futtocks said:

Andy Goldsworthy uses what he finds on-site, so I assume they are leaves and petals.

Thank you.  I only work Wednesday to Saturday these days so I only saw your post this morning.

Lovely way to work, out in the woods and hills, using only what you find and leaving nothing messy, noxious or toxic behind.  I am going to have a look at some more of his work.  I assume there will be plenty online.

😀

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

6 minutes ago, Honor James said:

Thank you.  I only work Wednesday to Saturday these days so I only saw your post this morning.

Lovely way to work, out in the woods and hills, using only what you find and leaving nothing messy, noxious or toxic behind.  I am going to have a look at some more of his work.  I assume there will be plenty online.

😀

There are loads of images online. He's also in this BBC documentary - jump to 11 minutes 50 seconds for the start of his bit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 8 months later...