new stadium - todays press

miaow

Would it be cheaper to build a new stand at Borough Park and extend the seated area on the popular side with a cantilevered roof so both clubs could have their own stands and social clubs? The new stadium is to have three sides as terracing, so it is already there. And a new pitch, of course!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derwent park and borough park a well past their sell by date. The old saying 'you can't polish a t#*d' comes to mind. 

One thing we can be confident in is that in recent years our board has proven that it will never put the club in jeopardy. So I very much doubt they would go ahead with the stadium plans if it put us at risk. 

10 hours ago, Jacksonville said:

Would it be cheaper to build a new stand at Borough Park and extend the seated area on the popular side with a cantilevered roof so both clubs could have their own stands and social clubs? The new stadium is to have three sides as terracing, so it is already there. And a new pitch, of course!

No. 

Borough park is an absolute dump it’s nearly as bad as the wreck.

The whole purpose of a new stadium is not to get a political back slap you know, both clubs have brought a lot to the town over the years and with both stadiums  falling to bits which costs a fortune to upkeep I see this as payback for what each club as given! 

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Whatever your politics wouldn't it be a shame that the people who are holding it back are the right wing, disguised as independents. Their sole role in life is it whip up trouble. They have no real beliefs. One of the main ones has changed political party 3 times. I want the best for my area. They don't - they're quite happy to see it in the doldrums. Which other place would be fighting against new facilities and putting up with ######. Its not just for us and reds its for our kids and grandkids. inspire them with great facilities instead of having a make do and mend mentality 

1 hour ago, GentlemanJim said:

Whatever your politics wouldn't it be a shame that the people who are holding it back are the right wing, disguised as independents. Their sole role in life is it whip up trouble. They have no real beliefs. One of the main ones has changed political party 3 times. I want the best for my area. They don't - they're quite happy to see it in the doldrums. Which other place would be fighting against new facilities and putting up with ######. Its not just for us and reds its for our kids and grandkids. inspire them with great facilities instead of having a make do and mend mentality 

Agree 100% mate

Reds match off again today due to standing water on the pitch, unfortunately borough park is well past it's sell by dateand for the third year in a row the team will be having to try and jam a load of games in the last month.People need to see the big picture and get behind a new stadium being used every day all year for the benefit of everyone in the community. 

1 hour ago, Route66 said:

Reds match off again today due to standing water on the pitch, unfortunately borough park is well past it's sell by dateand for the third year in a row the team will be having to try and jam a load of games in the last month.People need to see the big picture and get behind a new stadium being used every day all year for the benefit of everyone in the community. 

Played on borough park loads of times in the past was a nice la stadium as for now if they get relegated this season borough park will still be like Wembley to the other grounds they'll be playing at .  

There’s no place for party politics in local government, they should be pulling together to improve the borough, not just disagree just because the other side proposed it, (not just the stadium either). In fact after recent months, I wonder if there’s room for party politics in parliament!!!!

6 hours ago, Nero said:

There’s no place for party politics in local government, they should be pulling together to improve the borough, not just disagree just because the other side proposed it, (not just the stadium either). In fact after recent months, I wonder if there’s room for party politics in parliament!!!!

We sure need all parties to pull together on this, and urgently please...

...because as you know so well Nero......Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

they were testing inside of the reds ground behind the town end shed for the footings and foundations today,It looks like they are satisfied with the greyhound  track and now moving onto the reds ground to get the tests done...

5 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

We sure need all parties to pull together on this, and urgently please...

...because as you know so well Nero......Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

It didn't tek lang for it to burn down though! I was fiddling (me overtime sheets)!

One of cllr Jenkinsons disciples  kicking up a fuss about Barepot flooding if the stadium is built ? it's flooded twice in the past 10yrs without the new stadium, I'm sure it was something to do with it hossing down for days on end love. ? They aren't building it in the river where do these people get this s### from.

Interesting that council are now looking at going down the investor/developer route rather than borrowing money to build it. They would then lease it back from the developer at a cost of nearly 100 million over 50 years. Apparently it is possible to go down this route because the nhs and Sellafield are involved. That seems a crazy amount of money and not sure how that would impact on the costs for town and reds. 

41 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Interesting that council are now looking at going down the investor/developer route rather than borrowing money to build it. They would then lease it back from the developer at a cost of nearly 100 million over 50 years. Apparently it is possible to go down this route because the nhs and Sellafield are involved. That seems a crazy amount of money and not sure how that would impact on the costs for town and reds. 

Didn't Castleford & Wakefield go down that route without success?

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

Preferred option for NHS these days is the PFI option,  where private developer funds and builds then leases back over period of time.

No surprises, developer wants large return so on going costs can be high (as we have seen with effect on NHS)

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

Is nobody else worried about this?

Everyone agrees (including the aforementioned councilors) that modern sporting facilities are required in Allerdale, but I get the impression from the various stories in the paper, on Facebook etc. that the council are trying to forcibly justify the outlay by rushing everything through without properly costing it all up - and at any cost.

Don't get sucked in by the various statements saying 'this won't add anything to council tax bills', because if for any reason this goes #### up, then its the local authority (ie: us, the local tax payers) who will foot the bill and pay any shortfall, as these investors will want their full pound of flesh !

I'm surprised the Council are even considering a 'leaseback' as it recognised nationwide as the most expensive way of borrowing, with particularly aggressive terms and conditions attached. If its a 40 or 50 year lease, I would be amazed if the NHS or Sellafield would even be allowed to commit for such a long period, as surely they would insist on a release clause of some description, after all, who can predict what be happen in 5 years, never mind 40 or 50 years. So if they sign up for 10 -15 years and decide not to renew their lease because somebody has built cheaper office space over the road, then what then? 

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Didn't Castleford & Wakefield go down that route without success?

Not sure mate. Although I’m all for a new stadium I don’t like the sound of this idea. Those figures just don’t seem workable to me for 2 lower tier sports clubs and both could be left high and dry. Those stadia that appear to have worked with council funding are the ones that have incorporated plenty of lettable office space thereby making the project almost self financing with the returns from that lettable space. When you have got 2 bodies like Sellafield and the Nhs involved I would have thought that was the way to go. Given this latest story I am not at all sure that this is going to be viable or indeed in the interests of either club.

3 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Not sure mate. Although I’m all for a new stadium I don’t like the sound of this idea. Those figures just don’t seem workable to me for 2 lower tier sports clubs and both could be left high and dry. Those stadia that appear to have worked with council funding are the ones that have incorporated plenty of lettable office space thereby making the project almost self financing with the returns from that lettable space. When you have got 2 bodies like Sellafield and the Nhs involved I would have thought that was the way to go. Given this latest story I am not at all sure that this is going to be viable or indeed in the interests of either club.

Without the stadium I would safely say that the future of both clubs is in jeapordy we can't carry on trying to keep 2 delapadated stadiums going. I know how much hard work and ridiculous amounts of money that have been put in to keep DP going and BP will be the same. I just don't see how it can't be in the interests of both clubs especially the Red's who are in a perilous league position and certainly need the boost of a new stadium if they are relegated. 

28 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Is nobody else worried about this?

Everyone agrees (including the aforementioned councilors) that modern sporting facilities are required in Allerdale, but I get the impression from the various stories in the paper, on Facebook etc. that the council are trying to forcibly justify the outlay by rushing everything through without properly costing it all up - and at any cost.

Don't get sucked in by the various statements saying 'this won't add anything to council tax bills', because if for any reason this goes #### up, then its the local authority (ie: us, the local tax payers) who will foot the bill and pay any shortfall, as these investors will want their full pound of flesh !

I'm surprised the Council are even considering a 'leaseback' as it recognised nationwide as the most expensive way of borrowing, with particularly aggressive terms and conditions attached. If its a 40 or 50 year lease, I would be amazed if the NHS or Sellafield would even be allowed to commit for such a long period, as surely they would insist on a release clause of some description, after all, who can predict what be happen in 5 years, never mind 40 or 50 years. So if they sign up for 10 -15 years and decide not to renew their lease because somebody has built cheaper office space over the road, then what then? 

No surprise DTTRR you've been against this from day one.

Archived