1st Friendly Barrow v Oldham

lifer

Hi,

New member & 1st time posting on a club forum.

Looking forward to the game today albeit a friendly.

Barrow have been very busy in player recruitment & added real depth to the squad.

Can't wait to see Barrow's new back line & what about the 3 PNG lads what's not to get exited about.

I will be taking my 2 kids to the game so hope all hoes well on the pitch & players stay safe & we have a good turn out for them

Not sure how many will turn up today maybe thinking the new guys won't be thrust straight in today?? ;)

Anyways not been to Crazy Park for many years so good to be back.

Come on Raiders.

Welcome to the Forum Pablo.

On a different note do Radio Cumbria get notified of games because I've heard loads of plugs of Workington/Whitehaven game but no mention whatsoever of Raiders/Oldham. The Town v Haven games is even getting commentary. I bet we are not. It's about time RC played fair with Barrow Raiders. After all they had no football commentary to give yesterday.

Oh dear now that was a shocker.

Good for the 1st 20 then the other 60 minutes awful.

Oldham were so much better as a team than Barrow were. I know it's early doors but there was nothing to cheer about.

We looked tired, not fit some definately more than others & ball handling was very poor.

Don't think we carried 2 sets it was poor.

Speading had a game to forget if he goes in for that try in 1st 10 minutes he has a different game 100% about that.

I guess the coach will make them watch it again during the week & bring them back to reality, you don't get rewards if you don't do the hard graft.

Like I said 2 maybe 3 I don't see regular rugby for them & the young lads today were let down by older more experienced guys.

Thought the younger lads went really well today, oldham are a good side and will be pushing to win league one dont know if they were at full strength today. Defense looked good for the first 20 minutes. Im not worried, just hope people aren't put off by the result and turn up again next week to hopefully see the PNG lads get a run out. 

It shows what direction the club is heading in when we manage to pull in nearly 1200 for a friendly, great stuff. 

Tom Heighton

MIxed bag really. Obviously not the result we wanted but they showed some promise for the first run out. Barrow made a few very silly errors and there were a few fumbles that should be ironed out by friendlies like this. We tend to be abmismal at set completion at the start of every season.

On the plus side, the weather was miserable today and getting 1119 people to stand out there and watch a friendly is very promising.

Like others have said, Oldham are going to go all out to get to the top of League 1 this season so we shouldn't be too disheartened.

Weakened team with no hooker in the first game of pre season, what do people expect? When you look at the players to come in there's no need to worry. There was signs of a quick left edge in Spedding/Cross however Speddings one on one defence was poor. Good work out in defence with all the ball Oldham had.

What do people expect - you ask. Well I for one expect them to have learnt their lessons from the past couple of seasons and stop giving stupid penalties away. For example, 2nd half we are deep in their 20 when a shocking pass from the acting half back arrives at Dallimore's boot straps, understandably he knocks on but to compound matters he then fouls the Oldham player who ends up with the ball. Another 2 penalties see Barrow defending their 20 and shipping a try which seems to have given all the impetus to Oldham. Will we never learn? I don't think Oldham would have got near our line with that wind without our charitable donation of yards via penalties.

Yes the first match, but I presume it was the same for Oldham. I haven't lost faith in the cause but I am feeling frustrated by the amateur mistakes/penalties rearing their head at the start of another season. It needs getting to grips with now by the coaching staff

I wouldnt panic too much. It was a blow out, if you look at pre season results for the past few years it gives little indication for league. 

To come back in we have for the season we have: 3 PNG lads, Nathan Mossop, Dan Toal, Martin Aspinwall, Jarrad Stack, Gareth Hock, Shane Toal, Luke Cresswell, Brett Carter, Tom Loxam. 

That's nearly half the squad unavailable which is quite a bit with some likely to be out best players for next season. I appreciate some are coming back at different times.  

Most important thing was the crowd which at 1119 is extremely promising. I wouldnt get worried about performances till Batley away on the 1st game. Maybe need 1 or 2 more players but the season is still very optimistic with such quality to come in. If you compare the squad to last year player by player it's much improved which no doubt Cresta will get the best out of. 

First time back at Craven Park... and first forum post, so be kind!

Oldham were more keen, more structured, more  "Barrow like" from last year. 

Squad today was a right mix, with loads to come back in, but no one really gave me the feeling they were playing for their place for the season. - which i would expect if you know theres plenty wanting your shirt -

Its excellent that 1119 attended but a few (myself included) will be disheartened at the lack of basics that seemed missing.

Missed touch off a penalty, knock on 1st tackles, dragged into touch 1st tackle. 

2 tries straight up the middle ..... which was one of our strong points will concern the coaches.

Its a starter for 10, but seemed way way off where we should be.

Youngsters were a mixed bag, but everyone looked a little lost.

Personally too I think playing Charnock at 9 was a recipie for disaster. Hes a good 7 but needs to be well away from the middle. 

Hope theres a bit more keenness and attitude vs Whitehaven next week. 

Not down at all. RSN was spot on. Lets look at the positives. Fabulous crowd for a friendly in January. Great bunch of Oldham supporters, including Kev. First 20 minutes was us. Hamburgers were great. Pitch looked great for the time of year. Well done who looks after that. Floodlights working. Playing without 3 internationals. Tee Ritson looks a star. Gareth Hock to be a star man at the stage of the season when we will need the big men to step up. All our top men yet to play. Free sausage and chips in the Ambrose after the game and my taxi turned up within 5 minutes. Iv'e had what may be my last game at Crazy park. I enjoyed it. COYR.

El Tel

Mossop -slight injury - will be fine for the start of the season

D Toal - back spasm in training last week - left out as a precaution

M Aspinwall - just looking after him - he's fine

G Hock - Due back in May

S Toal - ahead of schedule, running well, back May, possibly earlier

L Cresswell - should be available for the start of the season

J Stack - should be available for the start of the season

B Carter - ankle injury - nothing too serious - not sure when he's back

W .Puara - can't wait to start

S. Amean - ditto

W.Minoga - suffering from the drop in temperature and has picked up a virus - antibiotics should sort it out 

BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

9 minutes ago, the man said:

G Hock - Due back in May

S. Amean - ditto

W.Minoga - suffering from the drop in temperature and has picked up a virus - antibiotics should sort it out 

Agree with everything except the last sentence. Antibiotics don’t work on viral infections.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

30 minutes ago, the man said:

G Hock - Due back in May

S. Amean - ditto

And equally as important to add to the above -  4 new signings to gel in the team today , one coming back from a season out and the other coming back from 5 months out . 

I’d expect a bit more desire when you face haven next week 

6 hours ago, wonderofwood said:

I’d expect a bit more desire when you face haven next week 

So would I mate

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

14 hours ago, the man said:

G Hock - Due back in May

S. Amean - ditto

Antibiotics won’t cure a virus

Archived