Laurie Gilfedder

It’s been announced that the former Warrington, Wigan and Leigh forward has died aged 83. 

He played his first game for Warrington aged 16 and won caps for Lancashire and Great Britain. He was transferred to Wigan and was a member of the 1965 Challenge Cup winning team. 

RIP

A very very good classy player. I remember his goal from half way and his great try in the Cup Final.  All seen on the black and white steam driven TV. An iconic game of course, with Hunslet taking a good part in it.  I suppose, what with him being loose forward and a goal kicker, he could be seen as the "last jigsaw" in that cup winning team.

Very sorry to hear that.  he played in the very first game of rugby league I ever saw live - Wigan -v- Featherstone on 25th January, 1964.  He kicked three goals in a 15-4 win; Boston, MacLeod and Shillinglaw got the three (3-point) tries.

He always struck me as the sort of low-profile, but hard-working, reliable player that every team needs.

Archived