Bulls 20 Rams 18

Therein73

Not the greatest game by any means, but plenty to be encouraged by........... BUT, why oh why do we still have the habit of giving away needless penalties, late in the tackle count, or when we have the opposition pinned in their own 20 for example............... We did exactly that tonight to hand the game to Bradford.

It's been a disease through Morrison's & Kelly's reigns............can we please not have it as a mark of Lee Greenwood's tenure ?

Owen Harrison was stand out tonight (IMO) and Ryder looked really strong.......... Knowles and Sykes have big parts to play for us this season.........so why play them both but leave out Simon Brown and Andrade .............. Just a question, and perhaps Knowles & Sykes will be 'rested' next week.........

Overall, though,I think we have reasons for cautious optimism...........and, I'm confident we won't be anybody's whipping boys this season !!!!

I like the new Yorkshire Cup concept and, with a bit of fine tuning, believe it can become a very welcome addition to the RL Calendar............ If only the Bradford fans would realise they're NOT SL anymore and don't have a divine right to ALL decisions going their way ..........

Don't Bradford appoint and take their own referee?

Seriously, the concept has been good. 3 meaningful and competitive games for the clubs, and a chance to bring in a few quid.

I still think this weekend should have been double headers, one semi final, and one plate semi final. I think this would have produced a bigger crowd. Only 1235 at Odsal, don't know about Fev crowd, but it looks like last weekends total attendance could be bigger than this.

Another consideration should be ground availability. Been a bit of a kerfuffle about switching next weeks game from Halifax to Fev. The clubs should make it known if their grounds are not avaliable for any of the three weeks, and the games could be organised accordingly.

25 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Not the greatest game by any means, but plenty to be encouraged by........... BUT, why oh why do we still have the habit of giving away needless penalties, late in the tackle count, or when we have the opposition pinned in their own 20 for example............... We did exactly that tonight to hand the game to Bradford.

It's been a disease through Morrison's & Kelly's reigns............can we please not have it as a mark of Lee Greenwood's tenure ?

Owen Harrison was stand out tonight (IMO) and Ryder looked really strong.......... Knowles and Sykes have big parts to play for us this season.........so why play them both but leave out Simon Brown and Andrade .............. Just a question, and perhaps Knowles & Sykes will be 'rested' next week.........

Overall, though,I think we have reasons for cautious optimism...........and, I'm confident we won't be anybody's whipping boys this season !!!!

I like the new Yorkshire Cup concept and, with a bit of fine tuning, believe it can become a very welcome addition to the RL Calendar............ If only the Bradford fans would realise they're NOT SL anymore and don't have a divine right to ALL decisions going their way ..........

I totally agree about the needless penalties we gave away, but can’t say I was much encouraged by our display. I wonder if the 27 substitutions we made (well it seemed like that number) contributed to the defeat? It took us the best part of half an hour to get going, but the two first half tries close to and on, half time showed we can play. 

Second half we were returned to the lack of finishing when near our opponents’ line and were generally disappointing on attack. 

Bradfird players and fans have not changed over the years; the team tends to get away with forward passes and their supporters never see anything wrong in whatever their players do. Sykes was booed, jeered and whistled at when he was sin binned, but kept very quiet when Flanagan committed the same foul for his ten minutes’ rest. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

We lacked the power close to the Bulls line with no one able to drive through!  ... If Andrade had played today we would have won by a distance!!  Shame he is going to miss the start of the season .... we heard today he is out for 5 weeks with a hand injury!

Still plenty to work on .... but also plenty to be cautiously optimistic about as well!  

Ryder ... what a player he is going to be!! 

First of all good run out for both clubs. 

Wonder who the dewsbury fan was who shouted get up you pussy, to bustin then cheered when he went back down. Yet he got stretched of with a suspected broken leg. Apart from that had good banter with the dewsbury fans near us and wish you luck during the season.

1 hour ago, Bullmania said:

First of all good run out for both clubs. 

Wonder who the dewsbury fan was who shouted get up you pussy, to bustin then cheered when he went back down. Yet he got stretched of with a suspected broken leg. Apart from that had good banter with the dewsbury fans near us and wish you luck during the season.

It might have been 1 of the hundred Bradford fans with only 1 eye, it seemed they couldn't tell the difference between a game of wendyball & rugby league

After all the Bradford club has been thru, they haven't shead that air of self entitlement, at every play the ball we were offside, every tackle we did we was lying on.. Bradford.. Nevermind change the record, you need to do away with 8 track tapes.. If Victor meldrew was a supporter... He'd be a Bradford fan.. 

As for this Dewsbury fan I don't condone if he said that.. Btw

It wasn't me... I'd a mouthful of fruit gums all the game :)

49 minutes ago, coolie said:

It might have been 1 of the hundred Bradford fans with only 1 eye, it seemed they couldn't tell the difference between a game of wendyball & rugby league

After all the Bradford club has been thru, they haven't shead that air of self entitlement, at every play the ball we were offside, every tackle we did we was lying on.. Bradford.. Nevermind change the record, you need to do away with 8 track tapes.. If Victor meldrew was a supporter... He'd be a Bradford fan.. 

As for this Dewsbury fan I don't condone if he said that.. Btw

It wasn't me... I'd a mouthful of fruit gums all the game :)

Ref didn't look at offside all game for both teams and both was holding on I never understand the shouts when it's both teams. 

Thought milnes went well for us after losing Keyes at half time he was up against a experienced Sykes. 

The all yorkshire cup concept has made friendlies more interesting it showed with us taking the 2, normally that would be a tap and try another set move well having the chance on the opponents line.

now we go again Huddersfield today which I think dented last nights crowd bulls fans had to pick one or the other.

Been an interesting competition. It has certainly given the fans something to get giddy over and made it a bit harder for coaches to take the games completely as a friendly. I think the club's who have taken part have learnt something and hopefully the format will be repeated and honed next year as it has much more interest/value than the usual friendlies etc.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

31 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Been an interesting competition. It has certainly given the fans something to get giddy over and made it a bit harder for coaches to take the games completely as a friendly. I think the club's who have taken part have learnt something and hopefully the format will be repeated and honed next year as it has much more interest/value than the usual friendlies etc.

Aye it is

But I'd love to see the fag packet the whole concept of competition was written on. 

So we take it if Batley win today

The final will be at odsal.. Just to make sure Bradford win

Must be nice when somehow you get home ties in the first 2 round of a competition that only has 3 rounds. 

Luck of the draw ;) heard the final is played at the winner of Batley and york we will see. 

Just good too talk rugby again maybe next year they do a Lancashire one and the two winners play each other giving you 4 games.

shows you don't get the rfl involved and it works. I think Bradford vs dewsbury and Batley vs york should of been 8 quid you pay 13 if want to go both was meant to be a double header after all.

The gane had been 18 all for some time and I wondered if a draw had ensued after eighty minutes what the outcome might have been. Close to the end Bradfird were awarded a penalty and converted it and my thoughts didn’t matter, but like Coolie, I have not had sight of the fag packet detailing the “what iffs”. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Enjoyed the match, Dewsbury have certainly moved on from there performance on Boxing Day. Result could of gone either way right until the end perhaps Bradford just about deserved there win. 

Yes Bradford have there share of one eyed supporters but have also a bigger majority of passionate loyal supporters that get behind the team. Not the best kick off time which probably contributed to the relatively low attendance although if there are 1500 up at the Mount  this afternoon I  will be delighted. 

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

Batley turned over an 18 point defect to nick it at the end, so York CK will face Rams next Saturday (19th January) at Bootham Crescent with a 6pm kick off.

I was going to say a dress rehearsal for our first home league game next month, but I think next week will be filled with all the new / fringe players.

This has been a very worthwhile exercise........ but it could and should have been more organised and communicated!!

Hopefully it will have proved worthwhile to all the clubs involved and the competition will continue again next season with the learnings embraced from this year!

Specifically I would suggest that the format should be communicated at the start of the competition and the proposed dates and times template should also be communicated prior to the competition.

What I perceive as random dates and kick off times have inevitably impacted attendances .... from my own perspective the short notice and kick off time for the York game means I won't be able to attend!

35 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

This has been a very worthwhile exercise........ but it could and should have been more organised and communicated!!

Hopefully it will have proved worthwhile to all the clubs involved and the competition will continue again next season with the learnings embraced from this year!

Specifically I would suggest that the format should be communicated at the start of the competition and the proposed dates and times template should also be communicated prior to the competition.

What I perceive as random dates and kick off times have inevitably impacted attendances .... from my own perspective the short notice and kick off time for the York game means I won't be able to attend!

Let's be fair TONO - the competition was lashed together at the last minute and all of the administration was carried out by the clubs themselves. Certainly we can hope for more structure next year but let's recognise this for the minor success that it has been.

It has also provided much more interest for the fans, even though this one was otherwise engaged and unable to attend.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Let's be fair TONO - the competition was lashed together at the last minute and all of the administration was carried out by the clubs themselves. Certainly we can hope for more structure next year but let's recognise this for the minor success that it has been.

It has also provided much more interest for the fans, even though this one was otherwise engaged and unable to attend.

Got to agree.  Great idea and well worth continuing into next season.  I would also agree that it needs a bit more certainty around dates and times...Not only are there some strange ones (not least Saturday evenings!!!) but I still cant see anywhere on our website as to when we play York.  Were it not for this forum Id be completely in the dark..

Archived