Fitness Thread

Just now, shrek said:

I'm not man enough to lift this body of lard up 10 times let alone 100!

If you could do 100 straight off, it would be a bit pointless.

It is a six week challenge. It takes at least six month.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Try something else?  Change as good as a rest and all that?

Tried running last year and eased of the gym, did a 10k motivated by raising a few quid with the wife for my father in laws hospice, but we didn't get on, running that is, the wife and I get on I think!

Used to clock up a lot of mileage with the dog, but he's 14 now and can barely make it round the block, so really only found the gym to be the sort of exercise that fits in around work, just can't get back into it.

5 minutes ago, shrek said:

Tried running last year and eased of the gym, did a 10k motivated by raising a few quid with the wife for my father in laws hospice, but we didn't get on, running that is, the wife and I get on I think!

Used to clock up a lot of mileage with the dog, but he's 14 now and can barely make it round the block, so really only found the gym to be the sort of exercise that fits in around work, just can't get back into it. 

If find running really dull.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

16 minutes ago, shrek said:

I'm not man enough to lift this body of lard up 10 times let alone 100!

It took me many weeks last summer to be able to do what some may consider one full press up. I should have kept it going, but I didn't and I haven't tried since. I used knee press ups and my garden wall which due to a sloping drive went lower down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I like running but find treadmills tedious as anything.

Best I could manage in the press ups stakes is about 25.

But I never get less than about 12000 steps every day and when working it's usually double that.

Twenty-five press ups is pretty good. All the more so as you are a good size.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Ha ha, very subtle ?

I do not think anyone on this thread is in danger of slipping down the drain! (apart from Tim2)

Edited by Bob8

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

Same here. There are plenty of studies that extol the benefits of exercise on mental health.

So much so there is a move to 'prescribe' exercise and the outdoors as a treatment.  

Cold water swimming is meant to be good, along with walking, nature, 'forest bathing', etc.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I have a place in this year’s London marathon.

i would love to finish sub 4 hours, it may be between 4.30 and 5.

7 miles today, 3 tomorrow and hill sprints on Tuesday.

Pretty sure I've seen Batman, Spiderman and Superman running it before but The Shadow is a new one.

Anyway, good to know we've got a forum member to cheer on this year. 

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I like running but find treadmills tedious as anything.

Best I could manage in the press ups stakes is about 25.

But I never get less than about 12000 steps every day and when working it's usually double that.

12000 steps is bloody impressive 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I see that one of the benefits of a thread about fitness is that the targeted adverts are attractive ladies showing their bottoms.

I am very easily distracted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I see that one of the benefits of a thread about fitness is that the targeted adverts are attractive ladies showing their bottoms.

I am very easily distracted.

I’ve got exercise bikes and weight benches.

I blame Ullman

and Brexit

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I blame Ullman

and Brexit

One of us needs to be stopped before it's too late.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

53 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I blame Ullman

and Brexit

Just above this post are three women in tight fitting Lycra advertising something called fabletics.

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I hereby sign you up to the 100 push-ups.

https://hundredpushups.com/

Unless you don't want to.

That's what I had in mind when I started last week. In my playing days I'd be able to knock off 100 press-ups. I was congratulating myself last week for managing 10 on my first attempt in probably at least 2 years. Will be going for 2 X 10 this week plus the same in sit ups each evening. Plus at least 3 half hour sessions on the bike.

I'm 56 now and quite out of shape, although round is still a shape isn't it? :unsure:

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

44 minutes ago, henage said:

Took dog for a walk on the beach . Hornsea to Mappleton and back . Around 5 miles .

Good job there was a westerly blowing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

And naturally I’ve just checked my Fitbit and it’s on 11025 ?

Well, Mr Oco, that just means 13,000 today ...

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

It's 6.30am and it's dark outside. I want to stay in bed for another hour but I'm up and dressed. I'm going for a walk! ? 

It really is difficult at this time of year with the dark and cold. Well done, that's fantastic.

First day back on it completed. My 3 mile circular walk includes... 

_20190113_230017.JPG

...climbing 127 steps... 

_20190114_074824.JPG

...seeing first light over the canal from the Old Railway Line... 

_20190114_073552.JPG

...and finishing off by walking the last section of the Wilts & Berks Canal. 

And, yes, that is a smile on my face! ? 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 8
2014 Challenged Cup Winner