Fitness Thread

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's been about for years and I remember doing it 20+ years ago. Its basically just mixing up your running with faster and slower speeds which as you did that anyway I suspect you knew. One simple example would simply be sprinting (or running at a faster pace) between lampposts then slowing the pace between the next lampposts and sprinting again between the next lampposts (or whenever you are comfortable again to do so). It is very good for seeing gains and lifting you out of that comfort zone, which you sometimes get with just jogging at a steady pace.

Yes, it was my funny joke. And also because I mentioned the word to Tiny Ginger a few weeks ago and I’m not entirely sure he’s stopped laughing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, it was my funny joke. And also because I mentioned the word to Tiny Ginger a few weeks ago and I’m not entirely sure he’s stopped laughing.

It is very good though but also very difficult depending how much you push yourself.

50 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

When I was on the Swindon Town Fat Club, at the half way point of the course the leaders brought in some bags of sand. You then had to carry the bag that match your weight loss up the stands. It was a real eye opener on how much unnecessary weight I'm actually carrying. 

Thanks for starting this thread Bob. It's the "competition" that will help keep me going. If I miss a day or two then I'll be  expecting you lot to write "Oi fat man! Get your sorry a**e out that door!" Or some other kind encouraging words. ?

Whilst hiking in the Himalaya in 2014, our main kit bag was only allowed to be 10kgs, a yak would carry 3 of these.  It was sobering to realise I had lost 3 of those bags worth in weight.  

I have now put 4 bags back on mind you...

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I actually thought this on Saturday when I was training as I want to lost about 2 stone (about 15kgs or so) when I was picking up a 15 kg weight. That is the amount of extra weight I am carrying about and then some, for no good reason, and its certainly not good for an already bad knee.

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

It is very good though but also very difficult depending how much you push yourself.

Yes. It was interesting thing to do. Not really done it properly before. I also don’t have a watch for time and distance whilst running so trying to make judgements in my head may not be the best way.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thus far today:

30,000 steps (not too bad for someone doing a sedentary desk job)

2 X 10 press ups

2 X 10 sit ups

2.5 miles bike ride 

Not that great compared to some, but much better than I was doing 2 weeks ago (i.e. feck all).

• Haha 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

20 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Thus far today:

30,000 steps (not too bad for someone doing a sedentary desk job)

2 X 10 press ups

2 X 10 sit ups

2.5 miles bike ride 

Not that great compared to some, but much better than I was doing 2 weeks ago (i.e. feck all).

That is a big success. 

Went to boxing training for an hour and a half. But, it was rather lackadaisical and my muscles are not as worn nor am I as knackered as I should be. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That is a big success. 

Went to boxing training for an hour and a half. But, it was rather lackadaisical and my muscles are not as worn nor am I as knackered as I should be. 

Thanks.

I'd hold your verdict on how your muscles feel for 24 hours. I've found as I've got older these things get you later!

I've also found, because of that, that it's best to start anything a bit under what you think you're capable of for the first session or two and then step it up once you have some knowledge of how it's going to affect you. That way you don't over do it and crash and burn.

• Haha 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

3 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Thanks.

I'd hold your verdict on how your muscles feel for 24 hours. I've found as I've got older these things get you later!

I've also found, because of that, that it's best to start anything a bit under what you think you're capable of for the first session or two and then step it up once you have some knowledge of how it's going to affect you. That way you don't over do it and crash and burn.

Good point, but I am not that new to it - only new to this gym. I was expecting more as I was bumped up into the “training for fights” class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

12 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Good point, but I am not that new to it - only new to this gym. I was expecting more as I was bumped up into the “training for fights” class. 

I assume you'll be Danish national champion within the fortnight.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I assume you'll be Danish national champion within the fortnight.

I might need to make my own belt up. I will ask the missus to help. 

Just now, Bob8 said:

I might need to make my own belt up. I will ask the missus to help. 

Boyle on Brooklyn 99 invented 'bubbleweight'.

12441 Steps so far today.

3.24 mile walk at work (12 laps of 0.27!)

34.17 miles walked for the month.  That's deliberate walks, not every step taken (walking to shops, etc are not counted).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Boyle on Brooklyn 99 invented 'bubbleweight'.

On principle, I am only willing to fight people who are smaller, untrained, weaker and more timid than me.

23 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Day 3 done! Run at the end was a little bit longer.

Habit becoming easier. ?

Personally, it's all habit.

I go in my dinner time at work and it just becomes something i do. If i exercise well, i eat well. If i go on the drink or work from home, i tend not to go and then eat poorly as a result.

Also, i have tended to train too intensely for a month or so and then have 2 weeks off because im carrying niggles. Starting to 'grease the groove' and take it steady now im old (37)...

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

12441 Steps so far today.

3.24 mile walk at work (12 laps of 0.27!)

34.17 miles walked for the month.  That's deliberate walks, not every step taken (walking to shops, etc are not counted).

You might have to up your goal at that rate!

Right. Hastings Runners this evening.

I am far more nervous about having to talk to people than I am about anything else to do with it. I know I can run for an hour after all.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Right. Hastings Runners this evening.

I am far more nervous about having to talk to people than I am about anything else to do with it. I know I can run for an hour after all.

Get a t-shirt with "I want to tell you about Rugby League" printed on it. That should solve any conversation issues. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Haha 2
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Get a t-shirt with "I want to tell you about Rugby League" printed on it. That should solve any conversation issues. 

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I'll be the one over in the corner studiously reading the fire escape procedures for the 57th time.