Fitness Thread

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'll be the one over in the corner studiously reading the fire escape procedures for the 57th time.

I still get nervous going to a new gym, which is daft. 

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8.8K (five and half miles in Brexit units) run last night. Struggling with a sore throat so not quick. Still, a little bit shaved off the weight at this morning's weigh-in.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I haven't been to the gym for over 3 months, mainly due to taking on new studies alongside work, but was convinced by the Mrs to join one of her spin classes last night. That was not fun! I hadn't really appreciated how much of damage 3 months without exercise had done.

Anyway, I've got a few weeks away from the studies so will be getting back into the gym properly in the meantime. See how much of an improvement I can make in that time.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Spent all afternoon in the gym on a machine...Too much pressing of buttons though, but at least I got a few mars bars, snickers and cheesy wotsits for my efforts.

I am currently on 2 different diets, I find that you get more food on 2 diets.

During my daily workout I tried the skipping rope (haven't done it in at least 20 years.....was a total disaster....I've lost my skipping rhythm Man!

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

During my daily workout I tried the skipping rope (haven't done it in at least 20 years.....was a total disaster....I've lost my skipping rhythm Man!

I had to skip last night. I am terrible at it, though on this occasion it suddenly worked and I was skipping for several minutes.

It was bizarre.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Bob8 said:

I had to skip last night. I am terrible at it, though on this occasion it suddenly worked and I was skipping for several minutes.

It was bizarre.

Practice makes perfect....I'm on it and will succeed in the end....I never surrender....never give up!  I could only get up to three.....but I will make four tomorrow!

Bet you were tired...skipping is hard!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Practice makes perfect....I'm on it and will succeed in the end....I never surrender....never give up!  I could only get up to three.....but I will make four tomorrow!

Bet you were tired...skipping is hard!

Patriotism helped. I was a bit fitter than the kids who were with me, and I could hear the coaches talking about ".....blah blah Inglese blah fuete! vagga!"

Could not stop!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

12441 Steps so far today.

3.24 mile walk at work (12 laps of 0.27!)

34.17 miles walked for the month.  That's deliberate walks, not every step taken (walking to shops, etc are not counted).

That's impressive.

Does my phone need to be on for my fitbit to work? Do I take both to the gym with me? Do i need wifi or just bluetooth?

My daughter bought me one but I have forgotten how to use it. 

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Niels said:

That's impressive.

Does my phone need to be on for my fitbit to work? Do I take both to the gym with me? Do i need wifi or just bluetooth?

My daughter bought me one but I have forgotten how to use it. 

Thanks.

Fitbit for dummies

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Where is this 'gym' you keep talking about?

And what is this 'fitness' you are obsessed with?

Is any of this catching? Can I get a jab (pun intended) for it?

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Just now, tonyXIII said:

Where is this 'gym' you keep talking about?

And what is this 'fitness' you are obsessed with?

Is any of this catching? Can I get a jab (pun intended) for it?

It is fair to say that this thread is not of gym freaks looking to pose on the beach, but middle aged men taking control of their health and not dying with undue haste.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Damien said:

How dare you ?

Sorry! I did not realize you were old!

I have never been this old before, so I assume it is a one off and will not happen again.

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

It is fair to say that this thread is not of gym freaks looking to pose on the beach, but middle aged men taking control of their health and not dying with undue haste.

I was, as usual, being facetious. But you knew that. It is good that people are thinking about their health. I don't tend to worry until something crops up. When it does, I go to the quack.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

6 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I was, as usual, being facetious. But you knew that. It is good that people are thinking about their health. I don't tend to worry until something crops up. When it does, I go to the quack.

I gave you a :D smily. There is no greater poetry to show appreciation of where you are coming from.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Just done 2 hours of yoga in 37 degree heat. Pretty hard work but I'm super chilled out now!

Yoga is great.

I am very skeptical of Bikram yoga, other than extreme cases, but after a year of it, I was an inch taller. These days I stick to the yin.

Well, that was tolerable. 8.8k added to the total and I only spent a moderate amount of time reading the fire escape notices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Niels said:

he seems a respected member.

Ready on now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

35 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Ready on now.

Steady... FFS

• Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

You might have to up your goal at that rate!

600 steps today...

Safe to say that mood/motivation/anxiety are a bit of a roller coaster right now...

• Like 1

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

600 steps today...

Safe to say that mood/motivation/anxiety are a bit of a roller coaster right now...

Not too late to make it 2000.

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Not too late to make it 2000.

Depends when the Chinese is delivered...