Fitness Thread

12 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Getting it done when it feels is a good measure of success. 

Yes I agree Bob.

How much fluctuation in weight is usual within a week? 

Will going to the gym put weight on for me? If I do arm and chest weights?

Or should the aim be to lose weight?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Getting it done when it feels is a good measure of success. 

The path to success doesn’t only go one direction, it’s disappointing but I’m fighting back from far worse.  Walking 25kms in a week was way beyond me even 6 months ago.  Just cracking on cracking on mate!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Niels said:

Yes I agree Bob.

How much fluctuation in weight is usual within a week? 

Will going to the gym put weight on for me? If I do arm and chest weights?

Or should the aim be to lose weight?

I really have no idea. I rarely weigh myself. I aim for fitness and hope the rest will sort itself out. I might be lucky that I can get fit fairly quickly and lose flab that way.

I am sure it is different for different people and I do not have any expertise.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 hours ago, CanaBull said:

The path to success doesn’t only go one direction, it’s disappointing but I’m fighting back from far worse.  Walking 25kms in a week was way beyond me even 6 months ago.  Just cracking on cracking on mate!

That is f***ing superb.

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

22 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Fluctuation of even a couple of lbs a week is completely normal due to stuff like water retention. Last week I saw my weight change by 2kg in the space of a day. If you're in a calorie deficit then it's important to ignore these fluctuations and just focus on the trend.

Going to the gym won't make you put weight on, this is a common misconception. By adding in more exercise (whether than be the gym or walking) you're burning more calories so will lose more weight, as long as your calories don't increase at the same time.

If you aren't sure what to do weight wise, it might be best to focus on different goals, depending on where you're at. Whether that be goals about gaining muscle or becoming active or eating healthier,  there are plenty of other options to focusing on weight.

2 hours of lower body gym, 2 hours of hot yoga and 16k steps. Pretty active day after a few relatively relaxed ones. Hit a 140kg squat which is frustratingly 20kg short of my best, and heading into the rugby season so that's probably my chance gone to gain strength until October.

Thank you. That is a really helpful answer. 

You are at a higher fitness level than I am. I lost a waist size when I began going to the gym and a goal is keep this size. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

Press-ups, 30-20-20-10-25. A few more and I could feel the benefit of a couple of days off.

And, boxing tomorrow.

• Like 1

Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Wiltshire Rhino Gingerjon Moose tim2 Saint 1 Canabull Niels
Week 1 93.5 116 156.5 135.6 84.9 66 76   98.88  
Week 2 93.5 116 155.4 134.26 89.9 66 76 82 96.61  
Week 3  93.1 115 155.6 131.1 82.55 66 76 87 97.39 72.57
Week 4 93.4 116 155.4 131.1 79.37 66 76 82.5 98.43 73.03

loss/gain 0.3 1 -0.2 0 -3.18 0 0 -4.5 1.04 0.46
Saturn 86.86 107.88 144.52 121.92 73.81 61.38 70.68 76.73 91.54 67.92

Some movements in a good way, some of us increasing our muscle mass.

Moose and Tim2 get the benefit of assuming they remain the same weight as they have been consistant. Next week they may get + some random value yet to be chosen.

Just for a change this week alternate weight is given for Saturn, not the more comedically loaded seventh planet.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

Been having the lego-brick-jammed-in-the-foot of weather here the last couple of days, the dark of night stubbed little toe that is freezing rain.  Much rather have -30 and 6 feet of snow, or 40 with 100% humidity than this shy te.

Sheets of ice everywhere covering everything, the upshot being a full on cartoon banana skin-like slip on my driveway, feet farcically in the air the whole bit.  I’m sure it was entertaining for anyone who saw (and I’ll probably laugh eventually) but for the next little while will be powered by Percocet and bloody mindedness.  And maybe Bushmills.

• Like 1

An hour at the gym. 

Offered to young teenage lad for a go on the heavy bags tomorrow evening, so that should be more intense. 

• Like 1

20 mile run this morning, which led to a post-lunch nap this afternoon and not much else getting done all day and I won't be running in France this weekend.

Edited by JonM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JonM said:

20 mile run this morning, which led to a post-lunch nap this afternoon and not much else getting done all day and I won't be running in France this weekend.

Congratulations 

Squeezing out a few kms trolling round the mall, bit of gyp but going through.  Irate father was trying to defend his son who, apparently, was caught bang to rights shoplifting.  Bit of a set to with mall security and then hauled off by the cops.  Better than Netflix!

Made me a bit homesick as well to be honest ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I was a bit of a Forrest Gump tonight, just kept going, just over 6kms in just over a couple of hours.  

Two months ago if I’d have gotten hurt like I did I would have resorted to laying flat for a couple of days, so glad I didn’t this time. Sure I’m hurting, but not as badly as I expected and more importantly not in the ways/places I expected.

Been a long time since I’ve been worth patting myself on the back, dead chuffed for a change!

Suffering with a bit of an Achilles issue at the moment.  I’m not out of action but I know if I push it I will be!

Changed my old trainers for new ones to see if that helps.  

Its sore and limpy rather than complete fail.  It’s annoying. 

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I was involved in a kids training session this morning by mistake.

I then did this just now:

I am a little dreadful and sweaty.

The sweaty bit is on account of the workout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I almost began to start thinking about maybe walking *briskly* a moment ago.

The hardest part of any run is getting off the sofa.

This thread is keeping me honest. The missus has noticed the back of my arms are bigger, which makes sense when my exercise regime is largely based on punching things. I did an hour today, feeling it now.

Weigh in: 80.1 kg. (apparently, were I to be actually fighting, I would have to get down to 75kg).

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 1

The chronic pain beat me yesterday but I’m heading back out to walk again today.  Missus and lad are off out elsewhere so are dropping me off and not letting me get out of it.

Beyong frustratingly debilitating at times but I’d be lost if it weren’t for them, they’re the reason to push.

Great to read everyone else’s efforts, it really helps keep the motivation so keep up the great work!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Eccentric calf exercises also have some merit in dealing with achilles issues - https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20833248/eccentric-calf-strengthening-for-achilles-tendinopathy-five-years-lat/

I've found those to work a treat - and there's been several scientific studies backing it up too. Best to nip it in the bud before it turns into an injury. The achilles tendon is amazingly slow to heal if it does get a tear or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I've found those to work a treat - and there's been several scientific studies backing it up too. Best to nip it in the bud before it turns into an injury. The achilles tendon is amazingly slow to heal if it does get a tear or something.

Its sore, so inflamed.  So just trying to rest it really.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Could you swap to off-feet cardio for a few weeks? Something like an exercise bike or a rower. It might help you keep active while deloading your achilles. Eccentric calf exercises also have some merit in dealing with achilles issues - https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20833248/eccentric-calf-strengthening-for-achilles-tendinopathy-five-years-lat/

Sprints followed by the first gym session on a new part of my programme today. Lots of different jumps which was fun. Just about to go do 2 hours of rugby coaching too which will probably involve a reasonable amount of walking about.

A few years back I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and these stretches were a big help in reducing the symptoms.  I do a few of these every day going up the stairs at home, become second nature now.

• Like 1

Well that was a turn up for the books today.  I knew I had a time limit so I cranked some Iron Maiden, zoned out the last couple of days and just walked.

7.2 #%*ing kms!!

Couldn't believe it, that’s the farthest I’ve gone at once in over five years since the injury.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1