Fitness Thread

Had an iffy couple of weeks, but slowly back on track.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 12/04/2019 at 07:14, Shadow said:

Being an English traditionalist I don’t hold with this new age nakedness and exhibitionism.

Relaxed mens wear should be a tweed three piece suit, a stout pair of brogues and a cap.

In times of extreme physical effort it is acceptable to remove the cap, jacket and tie, in absolute extremis the shirt collar may also be loosened or removed entirely.

fig [1]

a chap, ready for some physical exertion

DB27CF43-457C-4B89-A165-1A58763A06AB.jpeg

Am currently looking out for a smartly dressed chap sauntering around London on the TV.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

7 hours ago, Ullman said:

Am currently looking out for a smartly dressed chap sauntering around London on the TV.

I won’t be doing that again.

my tweed got horribly sweaty and my brogues are ruined

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I won’t be doing that again.

my tweed got horribly sweaty and my brogues are ruined

Well done, mate. Pleased you're back in one piece.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Entered the ballot for the London Marathon Which, I think, means I’ve effectively run it.

In the real world, there’s a 10k in Robertsbridge in late June and doing that is now my focus.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Back up to 74kg - struggling to find the motivation again. Bu99er.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Entered the ballot for the London Marathon Which, I think, means I’ve effectively run it.

In the real world, there’s a 10k in Robertsbridge in late June and doing that is now my focus.

Good luck GJ. Remember there are other events around the same time, Paris, Rotterdam, and Bonn are all in April as well or closer to home Brighton and Southampton. 

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

Good luck GJ. Remember there are other events around the same time, Paris, Rotterdam, and Bonn are all in April as well or closer to home Brighton and Southampton. 

Aye, I don’t think I’ll get in. I’m tempted by Brighton if I don’t.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

After three months recovering from surgery I’m now permitted to return to the gym. 

In one week I’ve done 3 high impact interval training (HIIT) classes and scaled 110 floors on a stair climber. The delayed onset muscle soreness I feel as a result of all of this is substantial.

I’ve lost a lot of fitness and strength over those 3 months doing nothing.

On 29/04/2019 at 10:01, Shadow said:

Chance of getting into London through the lottery is about 1 in 10 now. Brighton sells out pretty quickly IIRC.

I did Boston (Lincs) at the start of April. £30 entry, including a very nice t-shirt. Flat, extremely well-organised and supported. You can enter within a few days of the race - none of this lottery nonsense. Admittedly, it's 26 miles round the turnip fields of England's dullest county and there's a wind off the north sea throughout.

I did Barcelona marathon a few years back (also in April) having worked out that it was cheaper and nicer than doing Manchester marathon the same day.

Just started swimming 3 times a week. I do love the pool more than the gym. Been a tough last 12 months but getting back on the horse so to speak. I need to get more veggies in the diet as well. Small steps though. This week I’ve started swimming. Next week I’ve set my self the target of prepping my lunch meals for the week on Monday. 

148.0 Kgs

Steady loss at the moment.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Canabull Niels
Week 5 93.1 116 154.3 95.7 73.94
Week 6 93.4 116 155.5 96.61 73.48
Week 7 92.5 116 154.9 95.03 74
Week 8 92.5 115 154 95.94 76
Week 9 91.8 Broken 152.6 96.61 75.6
Week 10 92.5 114 151.2 95.7 74.39
Week 11 92.2 112 149.4 93.9 72.57
Week 12 93 114 148 92.86 72.12

loss/gain 0.8 2 -1.4 -1.04 -0.45
Krypton 111.60 136.80 177.60 111.43 86.54

My pre and post event carb loading seems to have worked 

Edited by Shadow
  • Thanks 1

Back on the calorie counting again. 73.5kg

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

So 8kgs off since week one.  I didn't really start for a few week to be honest, so roughly hitting 1 kg a week so far.  

• Like 3

5.9k run along the seafront yesterday. Felt comfortable. Had to keep telling myself to not try and beat any records and that just doing the run is enough.

And so, as a reward, I've entered the Hastings Race for Life in June. It's 10k now and they've let blokes in. I can walk to the start line so seems rude not to.

• Like 2

146.6 Kgs

Despite the turn in the weather, managed to get some miles in.  Knee is still sore and the achilles needs careful management.  

• Thanks 1

Another pound gone, now at 204lbs and officially 25lbs gone!  Now on a sit-up challenge for May, increasing 5 per day up to 140 by month end.  Do mine on the inversion table so is easy to do the obliques and reverse at the same time.  If it doesn’t lose me any weight it’ll get some definition and flexibility back at least!