Fitness Thread

I am pleased the thread is back to activities rather than weight i.e. what we can control rather than what we can’t. 

I managed to do a good solo session in the boxing gym. I used to find self motivation difficult, but decided that might be because my inner voice is too negative. I made an effort to positively encourage myself and managed to really give it some. 

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

17 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Well done! A huge undertaking!

I was too stubborn to quit. Even a few hours later my legs struggled to go up some steps.

This morning I used the poor lonely arm cycle machine in the gym. It just sits there unused so I thought I’d give it a crack.

It’s not really a cardio machine. It does give the arms and shoulders a good workout though.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

In the Alps this week. Have been attempting to acclimatise on Gran Paradiso before heading up Mt Blanc later in the week. But we’ve been thwarted so far by deep but very soft wet snow. Went up to 3200m yesterday and spent half the time digging ourselves out when we disappeared in the soft snow. Calves, hamstrings and lower back are on fire today...

E47DD958-9A98-4347-8946-1537A09B43CA.jpeg

A86F45E5-2F21-4E14-9F69-DCC484EDB307.jpeg

• Like 7

Right, well I was going to mention the big hill in the Hastings Race for Life but some bloody squaddie has stolen my thunder ...

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Had a good parkrun in Bob8's stomping ground (Amager Strandpark) but ate my body weight in food while I was there so I'm a bit bloated still. have a 6 week plan to get back on track. The weather this week is looking grim for getting out running though.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 10/06/2019 at 12:58, GeordieSaint said:

In the Alps this week. Have been attempting to acclimatise on Gran Paradiso before heading up Mt Blanc later in the week. But we’ve been thwarted so far by deep but very soft wet snow. Went up to 3200m yesterday and spent half the time digging ourselves out when we disappeared in the soft snow. Calves, hamstrings and lower back are on fire today...

Nothing beats a bit of postholing to work the legs!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Got officially below 200 lbs today.  199.2 to be exact, been lower with natural variability but Wednesday is official day.  Closing in on being my lowest adult weight of 198.  This is 30.4 lbs lost since tracking stuff with WeightWatchers and 40+ from my highest.  This daily tracking has given me regular and consistent accomplishments that have rebuilt my discipline and confidence to start pushing at my limitations.

Just six months ago I could barely walk a kilometre and wouldn’t go near a swimming pool for fear of falling.  Now I’m walking 20-30 kilometres per week and doing 40 lengths of the pool two and three times a week.

I’m not (that) concerned any more comparing myself to what and where I was in the distant past, just focusing on being better than I was yesterday or last time out whether it be activity or food and choosing to be the best that personally can be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

144.2Kgs today.  Happy with that as I combined lots of walking with cream teas, ice creams and cider!

Need to start moving on from 'just' walking and start a bit of body weight workouts and using the rowing machine and cycle in work.  Perfect for the nightshift, just do 'more'.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 12/06/2019 at 14:51, CanaBull said:

Got officially below 200 lbs today.  199.2 to be exact, been lower with natural variability but Wednesday is official day.  Closing in on being my lowest adult weight of 198.  This is 30.4 lbs lost since tracking stuff with WeightWatchers and 40+ from my highest.  This daily tracking has given me regular and consistent accomplishments that have rebuilt my discipline and confidence to start pushing at my limitations.

Just six months ago I could barely walk a kilometre and wouldn’t go near a swimming pool for fear of falling.  Now I’m walking 20-30 kilometres per week and doing 40 lengths of the pool two and three times a week.

I’m not (that) concerned any more comparing myself to what and where I was in the distant past, just focusing on being better than I was yesterday or last time out whether it be activity or food and choosing to be the best that personally can be.

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

144.2Kgs today.  Happy with that as I combined lots of walking with cream teas, ice creams and cider!

Need to start moving on from 'just' walking and start a bit of body weight workouts and using the rowing machine and cycle in work.  Perfect for the nightshift, just do 'more'.  

Bloody hell!

Great effort!

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Sadly - we were unsuccessful on Mt Blanc. Vast amounts of falling snow, strong winds and severe avalanche risk meant we had to turn back at the Grand Couloir. Someone would have died if we had tried so made the call not to risk anyone’s lives. Gutted but the right call. Stunning photos though and an epic fitness work out in that snow! 

BEC8B059-C06C-4AF6-BF92-ED31C4D12BEB.jpeg

0A68E2F4-B53C-4A57-9FF9-CE8B450AEDC5.jpeg

53411F5F-D44E-413F-8974-1E09D218196E.jpeg

62419B27-2AAC-4954-815D-9A03FCC77DED.jpeg

74945260-D101-48E8-96D3-030D8A69C9F3.jpeg

5ADD7056-BFA6-4A65-8D18-4B3A1A6286C8.jpeg

6C052F68-209B-42A3-8EB0-6D21188A3D04.jpeg

41C19433-E82B-4BA9-A70D-69FBFBE12250.jpeg

7E76A4E9-E3BD-4646-AB09-8962514E29DE.jpeg

322FC8B6-8077-49DF-856C-EE791341E9E6.jpeg

0EDEA64A-828B-45A9-B825-29E262781FB4.jpeg

EE8279C2-971F-44E7-A7F0-CE6E7AFF05E0.jpeg

658F544B-770D-405B-9A67-E104B86DDD90.jpeg

E426285A-3B6B-43CE-B059-1D68416D3E21.jpeg

• Like 6

Date Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Canabull Niels Riding Pie
  91.8 Broken 152.6 96.61 75.6  
  92.5 114 151.2 95.7 74.39  
  92.2 112 149.4 93.9 72.57  
  93 114 148 92.86 72.12 100.2
17-5 91 114 146.6 92.53 72.57 99
23-May 90.5 113 145.4 91.63 71.24 98.4
31-May 89.7 113 145 91.2 71.69 99
06-Jun 90.1 TBA Week Off 90.76 72.57 99
13-Jun 89 114 144.2 90.35 72.1 TBA

loss/gain -1.1 1 -0.8 -0.41 -0.47  
Klendathu 55.18 70.68 89.40 56.02 44.70  
  • Like 1

This Friday I’m participating in a naked winter solstice charity swim to raise money for a cancer charity. It will be in a lake in the centre of the city.

I’ve raised quite a bit of money so far which I’m quite happy about.

The weather forecast says it will be -3 degrees when I dive in totally starkers with up to 100 other naked fools.

And no, I’ve never done this type of fitness before. I figure it will raise a bunch of money that otherwise would not be raised, so I’m happy to get my kit off to raise some money for those who are really suffering.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 3

Hit the 143's today.  Then promptly went on a binge.  I think I need a psychologist more than a dietician! 

• Like 2

I was in ridiculous amounts of pain this past weekend; a lot of frustration and a lot of anger so I forced myself out and walked, only two or three kilometres each time mind you, but I had to fight against something even if it was as successful as putting fog in a choke hold.  In hindsight though even doing this given how bad things have gotten over the last ten years is amazing to me.

Hurting too much to even eat all weekend, no appetite and didn’t want to throw up as is often the case in these episodes and the nerves get twanged the wrong way.

Upshot of this is when I weighed myself this morning, I was at 194.5 lbs.  That’s less than when I was 17-18 years old and I’m 45 now.  Absolutely stunned.  Can hardly believe I’ve come this far or that it was even possible at all.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Hit the 143's today.  Then promptly went on a binge.  I think I need a psychologist more than a dietician! 

So much of food is in the head and not the belly.  It's so much part of every bit of life, you have to change every bit of life to improve your relationship with food.  Truly a difficult journey, all the best.

• Like 1

It was 143.8 on Monday but I refused to do my Wednesday weigh in as I’ve not had a good few days!  Back on the wagon now.

19 hours ago, RidingPie said:

98.1 this morning. Yay a week without camping really helped. 

You obviously run your cub camps better than us. I find I eat constantly (fried breakfast, big meals, lots of cake in between) but the running round after children all day and doing all the activities takes it out of me. Certainly never gained weight from it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

You obviously run your cub camps better than us. I find I eat constantly (fried breakfast, big meals, lots of cake in between) but the running round after children all day and doing all the activities takes it out of me. Certainly never gained weight from it.

I think it’s the two days after camp where I can barely move that kill me off. That and as you say we never seem to stop eating... plus one of the other leaders brought his outdoor pizza oven... oh heaven!

1 minute ago, RidingPie said:

I think it’s the two days after camp where I can barely move that kill me off. That and as you say we never seem to stop eating... plus one of the other leaders brought his outdoor pizza oven... oh heaven!

Excellent. One of our leaders used to turn up with a lathe and generator and the like. You want 25 curved pirate's swords carved out of wood, a set of wooden shields, or some wooden boats to assemble? No problem.... I reckon I might need a word with him about pizzas.

• Like 1

Just now, JonM said:

Excellent. One of our leaders used to turn up with a lathe and generator and the like. You want 25 curved pirate's swords carved out of wood, a set of wooden shields, or some wooden boats to assemble? No problem.... I reckon I might need a word with him about pizzas.

Oh wow that’s awesome! That said I wouldn’t trust some of my cubs with wooden swords ?

that said again there was a martial arts base where the instructor did a bit with nunchucks. 

Just now, RidingPie said:

Oh wow that’s awesome! That said I wouldn’t trust some of my cubs with wooden swords ?

They have to sand them down and wrap string round the handle and paint them. Once you've demonstrated that they snap in two if you hit something hard, they tend to stick to waving them about rather than hitting each other. No worse than playing with sticks really.

In all the years I've being helping, all of the worst accidents have come from cricket or football. You would think cooking stuff over the fire or climbing trees or whatever are more dangerous, but no. We did have a near miss with a snake once.

• Like 1