Fitness Thread

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

They have to sand them down and wrap string round the handle and paint them. Once you've demonstrated that they snap in two if you hit something hard, they tend to stick to waving them about rather than hitting each other. No worse than playing with sticks really.

In all the years I've being helping, all of the worst accidents have come from cricket or football. You would think cooking stuff over the fire or climbing trees or whatever are more dangerous, but no. We did have a near miss with a snake once.

I think the worst one I’ve seen is that we had a 6 foot inflatable beach ball which was comedicly brought out under the title of circus skills that lots of the cubs would roll at people. Never had to fill in so many injury forms for kids losing their teeth. 

Date Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Canabull Niels Riding Pie
  93 114 148 92.86 72.12 100.2
17-5 91 114 146.6 92.53 72.57 99
23-May 90.5 113 145.4 91.63 71.24 98.4
31-May 89.7 113 145 91.2 71.69 99
06-Jun 90.1 TBA Week Off 90.76 72.57 99
13-Jun 89 114 144.2 90.35 72.1 TBA
21-Jun 89 113 143.8 88.22 73.03 98.1

loss/gain 0 1 0.4 2.13 -0.93 0.9
Skaro 86.33 109.61 139.49 85.57 70.84 95.16
Edited by Shadow

On 16/06/2019 at 22:34, Copa said:

This Friday I’m participating in a naked winter solstice charity swim to raise money for a cancer charity. It will be in a lake in the centre of the city.

I’ve raised quite a bit of money so far which I’m quite happy about.

The weather forecast says it will be -3 degrees when I dive in totally starkers with up to 100 other naked fools.

And no, I’ve never done this type of fitness before. I figure it will raise a bunch of money that otherwise would not be raised, so I’m happy to get my kit off to raise some money for those who are really suffering.

Well that was fun. I raised hundreds of $ and went for a swim with 150 other naked crazy people just as the sun came up.

It was -2 degrees and the water was very cold.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Is that the excuse you are going with?  #shrinkage

• Haha 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Is that the excuse you are going with?  #shrinkage

Let’s just say I came out half the man I was when I went in...  ?

There’s nothing warming your package next to an open fire on a beach can’t fix. ???

• Haha 2

On 23/06/2019 at 05:13, Copa said:

Well that was fun. I raised hundreds of $ and went for a swim with 150 other naked crazy people just as the sun came up.

Which one is you?

Hobart, AustraliaSwimmers participate in theDark MOFO Nude Solstice Swim at Sandy Bay beach, celebrating the darkness of the Southern Hemisphere Winter solstice

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

Which one is you?

Hobart, AustraliaSwimmers participate in theDark MOFO Nude Solstice Swim at Sandy Bay beach, celebrating the darkness of the Southern Hemisphere Winter solstice

The pink one. ?

no not really.

That’s in Hobart. They get nearly 2000 people. It’s also warmer.

I did the one in Canberra that they are hoping will get as large as the swim in Hobart.

It was the third event in Canberra. The first year they had, I think, 5 swimmers, last year they had around 60, this year they had 150.

Edited by Copa

About 4-5 weeks ago I started back at the gym. I am doing a general weights session alternating with some swimming. To begin with I started off what I imagined a gentle programme; nothing particularly heavy, completing sets with no noticeable strain. I was wrong, very wrong; the following days I was in a world of pain and was walking like the Tin Man that needed a good oiling! The swimming was, initially, to help loosen up following the day in the gym. The first session I only managed 10 lengths of 25m, with a couple of breaks for a breather, before running out of steam. I have stuck it out and now I am lifting weights to the point of failure on the last rep of the final set plus some bursts of cardio (bike/rowing machine) and feel ok when the session is complete. My swimming has improved to the stage where I'm managing 40 lengths of 25m with only one short break in the middle to de-fog my goggles. 

Last week the gym manger talked me into signing on for a new strength and conditioning class he has just started. This is a multi discipline circuit  of 20 odd exercises including punch bags, steps, battle ropes kettle bells etc etc, spending 45 seconds at each station with a 15 second change over time. It was by far the toughest thing I've done since my last pre-season which I think was the summer of 2004, when I was only a 41 year old.. While it was tough, I completed it and can't wait for the next one tomorrow evening. All in all I'm quite pleased with myself and am feeling much, much better for it.

As a bonus my weight is now down to 98.5kg, which surprised me as I imagined I'd still be at about 110kg.

• Like 3

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Put on a good 30kms walking this week plus 2kms swimming as well and the weight went up to 196lbs.  Walking average has got up to 5.6km/hr this week which I'm really happy about, feet aren't, but I am.  Nothing that tape and a bit of superglue doesn't fix.  Not too fussed about the weight gain, the previous dramatic drop has thrown that out, this rebound has put me still less than what I would be at had the previous downward trend continued.  Food temptations are a lot less these days too, had a chocolate bar today for the first time in over a month, not really missing them at all which is a win as well.

• Like 1

78.9kg

I went to a different and officially registered boxing club today. They do straight rather than twist punches (so closer to karate) and a far more open stance. I had to busily unlearn everything.

I was clearly the oldest there.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

78.9kg

I went to a different and officially registered boxing club today. They do straight rather than twist punches (so closer to karate) and a far more open stance. I had to busily unlearn everything.

I was clearly the oldest there.

I've never had any proper boxing training; done a bit of sparing with a mate who was a half decent boxer. Now do some bag work as part of the strength and conditioning class I go to and quite enjoy it and don't find it too technically difficult. Mind you, you sometimes needed to be good with your hands when I began playing amateur rugby league in the lower reaches of the North West Counties league back in the very early 80s!

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Date Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Bob8 Canabull Niels Riding Pie
23-May 90.5 113 145.4   91.63 71.24 98.4
31-May 89.7 113 145 78.9 91.2 71.69 99
06-Jun 90.1 TBA Week Off 77 90.76 72.57 99
13-Jun 89 114 144.2   90.35 72.1  
21-Jun 89 113 143.8   85.57 70.84 98.1
28-Jun 89.4   TBA 78.9 88.9 TBA TBA

loss/gain 0.4 -113     3.33    
Caprica 86.72 0.00   76.53 86.23    

It looks like my target of 86Kg by the time we go to France next friday is not going to happen, I still intend to fall off the weightloss wagon in spectacular style. Tim2 has set the bar.

The next update to the spreadsheet will be 19th July...or thereabouts

13 hours ago, Niels said:

71 .67 today please Shadow.

Apologies for missing a week - we have a new addition in the family ☺so I missed a week of exercise.

Congratulations?

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Thank you Bob that is very kind of you.

Yes grandfather now ?

Congratulations!!!

• Thanks 1

Date Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Bob8 Canabull Niels
23-May 90.5 113 145.4   91.63 71.24
31-May 89.7 113 145 78.9 91.2 71.69
06-Jun 90.1 TBA Week Off 77 90.76 72.57
13-Jun 89 114 144.2   90.35 72.1
21-Jun 89 113 143.8   85.57 70.84
28-Jun 89.4 113 143.4 78.9 88.9 71.67

loss/gain 0.4 0 -0.4 78.9 3.33 0.83
Caprica 86.72 109.61 139.10 76.53 86.23 69.52

Updated.

Into the 142's this week, so well over 2 stone gone now.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

142.5 this week.  I know there won't be a table, but just showing off!

99.2 today... I had a feeling stopping vaping would have a not great effect but I think long term I'll obviously benefit. Also buy a pizza oven didn't help!!!

On a more proactive note, I've gone back to having home made smoothies for breakfast in my nutri bullet, made from spinach, blackcurrants, strawberries, a handful of oats, protein powder and almond milk (and a tiny drop of vanilla essence). Usually this is one of things that puts me on the right track for the day.

Edited by RidingPie
  • Like 2