Fitness Thread

I have taken up MMA as I have very little sense of dignity.

Boxing is the better workout, but the MMA is giving a stretch to my hips and legs that would otherwise be neglected. The downside is that if I cannot rely on boxing of rugby tackles, it is very undignfied. I am also old enough that the women often partner with me as I am clearly harmless. I am not sure how I feel about that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Thursday was generic fighting, Friday was an hour of boxing, then light sparring today.

Boxing tomorrow.

I do not think I can get much fitter.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Having largely given up for most of the year, signed up for a virtual Hadrian's Wall challenge yesterday, 90 miles to walk/run, they suggested doing it over 12 weeks to get started, but opted for 5 weeks to make it more of a challenge.

Thinking of doing Lands End to John o Groats for the next one, slightly more challenging at 1083.8 miles!

Costs 25 quid a challenge, but I need the financial buy in, even if its only small investment for motivation!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, shrek said:

Having largely given up for most of the year, signed up for a virtual Hadrian's Wall challenge yesterday, 90 miles to walk/run, they suggested doing it over 12 weeks to get started, but opted for 5 weeks to make it more of a challenge.

Thinking of doing Lands End to John o Groats for the next one, slightly more challenging at 1083.8 miles!

Costs 25 quid a challenge, but I need the financial buy in, even if its only small investment for motivation!

Whatever you find works!

Good luck

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 19:31, Bob8 said:

Whatever you find works!

Good luck

Hi Bob and everyone.

Last week at the gym I had muscular pain after the gym and the gp referred me to the physio next week. 

He said try to do some stretching exercises for hips and lower back. 

I've looked online but I'm not sure which ones to do. 

I don't know if you or anyone are familiar with these please?

I weighed 72.5 which is ideal for me but the Dr said just do the stretching exercises for now and no gym.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

Hi Bob and everyone.

Last week at the gym I had muscular pain after the gym and the gp referred me to the physio next week. 

I weighed 72.5 which is ideal for me but the Dr said just do the stretching exercises for now and no gym.

Youtube. Hasfit lower back. 

10 mins stretching and 10 mins strengthening. 

Trust me

Edited by MattSantos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

13 minutes ago, Niels said:

Hi Bob and everyone.

11 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Youtube. Hasfit lower back. 

10 mins stretching and 10 mins strengthening. 

Trust me

Sounds good. Plenty of yoga videos for that too. 

• Thanks 1

Beckley 10k today.

Apparently it is "hilly". I've found the Strava detail. I'm going with "WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY".

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Beckley 10k today.

Apparently it is "hilly". I've found the Strava detail. I'm going with "WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY".

And, to my slight surprise, I really enjoyed that. Even the hills that hurt.

Made it round in 57:36 which was good enough for 96th place out of 185. Surrounded by serious runners though so pleased with all that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Did parkrun #245 yesterday as a pacer (32 minutes) at my home run, then did a gentle 5 miles today.

Still at 77kg which is too much but manageable.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 03/11/2019 at 20:27, tim2 said:

Did parkrun #245 yesterday as a pacer (32 minutes) at my home run, then did a gentle 5 miles today.

Still at 77kg which is too much but manageable.

I finally did my first ever Parkrun on Saturday in Edinburgh. Very enjoyable, 33.5 minutes so very much plodding but I achieved my goal of jogging the whole way round.

• Like 2

Date Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed tim2 Saint 1 Canabull Niels
16-Sep 87.9 114 142.8     80.92 TBA
04-Oct 87.2 tba 142.6     tba 71.67
11-Oct 86.8 `+3 stone 143.5     77.33 72.58
19-Oct 87.2 118 144.3     TBA 71.22
06-Nov 87.1 117 146.8 77 80 TBA 71.67

loss/gain -0.1

2.5 0 0 TBA 0.45

Overall Change -6.4 3 -9.7 1 -2 TBA -0.9

Apologies for the delay, i wanted to make sure I reversed my weight gain before I posted :kolobok_biggrin:

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/11/2019 at 19:22, Saint 1 said:

145kg squat today at 80kg, after legs Friday, fitness Saturday and sprints earlier. Pleased with that, probably have another 5-10kg when fresh.

When you said this was the 80Kg a weight you lifted or your weight? I nearly put you in the spreadsheet at 145Kg :kolobok_biggrin:

Apologies, been a bit MIA this last little while.  Was at 169.5lbs for the first TBA on @Shadow's list and 168.8lbs on this weeks weigh in.

Started back at the gym with light weights a couple of weeks ago and slowly working my way up on running; did 800m in one go last week which is longest I've run in over a decade, then blew the calf in the bad leg a couple of days later.  I was oddly pleased with being able to work a muscle hard enough to pull it!  ? Still a lot of imbalance there with the other side which I'm at the physio working to rehab what's left and keep the atrophy to a minimum.  Was ###### off with not being able to run so took out that frustration at the pool and did my quickest on 40 lengths at 35 minutes! ?  That's ten minutes down on when I started swimming again.

Getting fitted for a new brace in the coming weeks, custom made in carbon fibre which should replicate at least some of the energy return that's missing from not being able put the Achilles on the bad side to use.  Leg and foot cast was made last week, more gait analysis on Monday.

Sometimes I still get upset about what I can't do compared to what I used to, but then look at how far I've come this year: Over 60lbs off and staying off, running at all when I could barely walk 2 km this time last year, signing up for 5k's and half marathon walks and just signed up for my first mud run next May.

Mental year!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Apologies, been a bit MIA this last little while.  Was at 169.5lbs for the first TBA on @Shadow's list and 168.8lbs on this weeks weigh in.

Started back at the gym with light weights a couple of weeks ago and slowly working my way up on running; did 800m in one go last week which is longest I've run in over a decade, then blew the calf in the bad leg a couple of days later.  I was oddly pleased with being able to work a muscle hard enough to pull it!  ? Still a lot of imbalance there with the other side which I'm at the physio working to rehab what's left and keep the atrophy to a minimum.  Was ###### off with not being able to run so took out that frustration at the pool and did my quickest on 40 lengths at 35 minutes! ?  That's ten minutes down on when I started swimming again.

Getting fitted for a new brace in the coming weeks, custom made in carbon fibre which should replicate at least some of the energy return that's missing from not being able put the Achilles on the bad side to use.  Leg and foot cast was made last week, more gait analysis on Monday.

Sometimes I still get upset about what I can't do compared to what I used to, but then look at how far I've come this year: Over 60lbs off and staying off, running at all when I could barely walk 2 km this time last year, signing up for 5k's and half marathon walks and just signed up for my first mud run next May.

Mental year!

Superb!

• Thanks 1

New job started this week, and I now do a 9-5 with commute.  Still, I'm doing 7-8000 steps a day just walking to the station/tube etc.  After this settling week I might start seeing what I can fit in.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Date Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed tim2 Saint 1 Canabull Niels
16-Sep 87.9 114 142.8     80.92 TBA
04-Oct 87.2 tba 142.6     tba 71.67
11-Oct 86.8 `+3 stone 143.5     77.33 72.58
19-Oct 87.2 118 144.3     77.05 71.22
06-Nov 87.1 TBA 146.8 77 80 76.73 71.67

loss/gain -0.1 TBA 2.5 0 0 -0.32 0.45

Overall Change -6.4 TBA -9.7 1 -2 -22.15 -0.9

Updated

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

167lbs this week, down 1.2 on last week, 62.8lbs overall.

Was at the pool on Monday night, there was a snowstorm so not many folk had made it there, had a lane to myself and a fast guy on my inside.  Chasing that ###### I got 40 lengths done in just under 30 minutes!  Best yet and 15 minutes less for the same distance than when I started back 6 months ago.  Been focusing on getting back running but perhaps I should change tack and focus more on the pool instead.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

If you have issues with your joints, swimming feels like a great option to get your cardio in without having to take as much impact. 

Never used to like it to be honest, it was the aquatic version of a treadmill and made me feel like a hamster ? or at least a vole of some description.

It's certainly better all round exercise, easier and more flowing on the spine and the leg that doesn't work too well.  Definitely not as clumsy as being on land!  Cheers ?

• Haha 1