Fitness Thread

Week 4 (2nd), Day 2 - 20, 25, 20, 20, 34

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

52 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Push ups week 5 day 3 (repeat)

20,20,24,24,20,20,22 and ? 

Thanks to Bob8 him reaching the 100 definitely made me dig in for those last 4 or 5. 

To do it after those sets is phenomenal.

Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

What are your plans now Bob I think I’m going to try and continue a rolling week 6. 

Same here. I will push through again. I have boxing tomorrow and will try Week 6, day 1.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

80kg today, assuming the conversion on google is right.

Tiny Ginger’s birthday present of a table tennis table arrives today. He’s quite good so I may die.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Daren't get on the scales. Not well at all this week and now off work for a bit (not COVID) so exercise is hard but eating is easy.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The last three days have been Nate Bower HIIT workouts on the heavy bag, so no press-ups.

Definately enough.

Good morning all.  Didn’t know this was happening but impressed with everyone having a go.  Well done.

I’ve been doing some stuff in my room as I doubt i’ll go to the gym here again due to the virus.  

I’ll start with the 100 press ups.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bobbruce said:

89.4 think I’m basically back where I started. The problem is I’m heading in the wrong direction. 

...but doing so with impressive pecs!

During the lockdown, not putting on lots of weight required luck and effort.

The last few days, I have had access to a heavy bag so I have been ignoring the last week of press-ups. I suggest we get back to them, and then something else for the core.

• Like 1

Gents,

Please indulge me with this post.  Extremely simple thing which works.  When your about to exercise, try the below which I posted to one of your colleagues.  I can assure you it works, is simple to understand but a little more difficult to do.  

Basically, form a strong position, keep in posture, tuck your belly in, breath easy.  Keeping this discipline through each exercise is key.

“I constantly remind them of their form while going through each motion to eliminate any “off” movement. The four principles I consistently reinforce as critical to every exercise are:

1. Feel the ground

2. Stay aligned  

3. Abs in

4. Relax

These are the same four principles I want you to use with every exercise you do. You have to understand they also have to work together just like all your body parts; they are integral to a successful movement. Every time you neglect one principle in any way you take away points from a 100 percent perfect move.

Depending where you want to be, a few percentage points will make the difference between being good and being great. Each of those principles has to be “activated” before every exercise, so before you start each repetition, activate each of them, and then perform that one repetition. So, when you plan on doing eight repetitions in a set of an exercise, think instead of doing it as eight times one repetition which means you will activate all four principles eight times per set. The more often you do it, the easier it is for your body to remember.”

Hope this helps!

Edited by Lowdesert
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Gents,

Please indulge me with this post.  Extremely simple thing which works.  When your about to exercise, try the below which I posted to one of your colleagues.  I can assure you it works, is simple to understand but a little more difficult to do.  

Basically, form a strong position, keep in posture, tuck your belly in, breath easy.  Keeping this discipline through each exercise is key.

“I constantly remind them of their form while going through each motion to eliminate any “off” movement. The four principles I consistently reinforce as critical to every exercise are:

1. Feel the ground

2. Stay aligned  

3. Abs in

4. Relax

These are the same four principles I want you to use with every exercise you do. You have to understand they also have to work together just like all your body parts; they are integral to a successful movement. Every time you neglect one principle in any way you take away points from a 100 percent perfect move.

Depending where you want to be, a few percentage points will make the difference between being good and being great. Each of those principles has to be “activated” before every exercise, so before you start each repetition, activate each of them, and then perform that one repetition. So, when you plan on doing eight repetitions in a set of an exercise, think instead of doing it as eight times one repetition which means you will activate all four principles eight times per set. The more often you do it, the easier it is for your body to remember.”

Hope this helps!

If you enjoy that read some of Pavels stuff on kettlebells  

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

A 2:02 on the Sallies.

Not as much as hoped for, but I am feeling off.

9 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Gents,

1. Feel the ground

2. Stay aligned  

3. Abs in

4. Relax

Hope this helps!

Thanks, this is great for working the core,  that is missed by the press ups.

Edited by Bob8

Had to cut the push ups out for a couple of weeks, having issues with my elbow of all things.  Strained it a few months back doing bicep curls and it hasn't got any better, worse actually.  Can't get in at the doc's with all the COVID stuff.

I did get back out and tentatively started building up the running again, managed to be able to stand 1.5km in two separate stages today without undue issues cropping up.  Well happy with that, especially in the muggy 31C weather here today, awesome sweat on.

Weight is 161lbs today, down 4 from last week.

10 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Thanks, this is great for working the core,  that is missed by the press ups.

As simple as it reads, it takes time to be consistent.  

If you’re doing sit ups (which bore me to death) or press ups, still do the same and tuck the stomach in.  It will work the core as you go and you will feel it.

If people are doing this to lose weight alone, they can use this same method.

The guy to research for more is Kai Fusser.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I think more than simply tucking the core in, it's probably better to think about bracing the core (for anything beyond easy bodyweight exercises where it simply isn't necessary). It's about holding a breath in your belly and then keeping your core in tight while simultaneously pushing it out as though bracing against a belt. Quite a difficult concept to explain! 

Continue to breath normally.  Pull your stomach in.  Focus on keeping it there using the core muscles and it will strengthen them and pull them in.  It takes time but in a month to 6 weeks you will see the difference of core engagement in the work outs.  You will feel it and it is also ideal for those wanting to lose weight, when really, they want to change shape.

I promised not to be a smart ar$e so will leave it to you lads ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Continue to breath normally.  Pull your stomach in.  Focus on keeping it there using the core muscles and it will strengthen them and pull them in.  It takes time but in a month to 6 weeks you will see the difference of core engagement in the work outs.  You will feel it and it is also ideal for those wanting to lose weight, when really, they want to change shape.

I promised not to be a smart ar$e so will leave it to you lads ?

I have posted most, so we need someone knowledgeable to balance me out

• Haha 1

On 27/05/2020 at 10:36, Bob8 said:

I have posted most, so we need someone knowledgeable to balance me out

Hi Bob, how are you?

I did a lap around the park running tonight. First exercise since lockdown apart from press ups.

Last time I ran I sprained ligaments, on holiday in Turkey, so I have to avoid hard surfaces. It took ages to recover also. So not sure if I should do this regular?

Do you,  or anyone have any knowledge about running and injuries? 

• Like 1