Fitness Thread

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

One of the things the rise of fitbits has done, is to create a massive data set for research.  

Move more = don't die quite as quick.   

Well, I seem to have a death wish as I signed up for yin yoga. I had the last week off and realised what a mess I am  adn decided I needed help to slow down. I will still be doing the individual boxing work, but dropping MMA.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

800k running for the year passed. The target I set myself at the start of the year was 850k. I'm not counting any chickens until I do actually get passed that.

Focus now is on the Folkestone Half Marathon next month. In these covid times you have to provide a finishing time so they know which wave of 12 to release you in. The target time the Runner's World algorithm gave me is just over 2h5m. So that's the challenge for then.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

04-Aug 12-Aug 24-Aug   Week
Gain/Loss
Total
Gain/Loss
Shadow   85.90 84.80 84.50   -0.30 -2.90
Bedford Roughyed   148.30 147.40 147   -0.40 0.2
Gingerjon   78.50 78.00 TBA   TBA TBA
Damien   101.15 101.15 101.15   0.00 -6.80
Bob8   79.80 79.80 80.70   0.90 1.40
Saint 1   84.00 84.00 TBA   TBA TBA
CanaBull   74.29 73.66 73.94   0.28 -0.99
Edited by Shadow
Updated

157.2lbs this week,  had to eat way more painkillers than usual and it totally killed my appetite, was basically on fluids and the occasional banana for 4 days.  Scary that at even the amount I have lost up to now, that one event can lead to losing 3.5% body weight in a week.  Got over the worst so hopefully will be back up to somewhere near 'normal' next week.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Having weighed myself today, weight is back up to 86kg. To be honest I think I still look slightly leaner but I'll track my calories for the next week and then modify accordingly! 

35 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

157.2lbs this week,  had to eat way more painkillers than usual and it totally killed my appetite, was basically on fluids and the occasional banana for 4 days.  Scary that at even the amount I have lost up to now, that one event can lead to losing 3.5% body weight in a week.  Got over the worst so hopefully will be back up to somewhere near 'normal' next week.

I'll include these both in next week's update if that's ok

Seem to still be 78, which I'm more than happy with as I'm trying more to build up fitness than lose weight at the minute. Averaging out about 3 runs a week covering about 25-30k - again pleased with that. Trying to add in a couple of workouts a week via far-too-fit people yelling "good job" at me on YouTube - that's a bit more hit and miss.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The boxing has taken a back seat.

The yin yoga is working, as twelve hours of it in the last twelve days should. My thirst for booze is far down. Feeling far, far more chill. Borderline happy this morning 😄

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I've been carrying on the running steady for about a year now, and at around mid-July finally set a new PB for 10k (49:10) which I was pleased with and meant I could start to focus on a half marathon. However, at the end of July I was ill with a stomach bug and had to stop the running.

I didn't run for about 16 days in all. I was ill for about a week and still didn't feel up to it for another week. I've been on about 9 runs since and can't believe how much I've lost for not running for just over 2 weeks. My average km speed for July until I got ill was 5:06 per km, it has been 5:26 per km since. That doesn't sound much but it's pretty much all I've gained over the last year.

Must say, it's been pretty demoralising to the point where I've considered jacking it in.

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've been carrying on the running steady for about a year now, and at around mid-July finally set a new PB for 10k (49:10) which I was pleased with and meant I could start to focus on a half marathon. However, at the end of July I was ill with a stomach bug and had to stop the running.

I didn't run for about 16 days in all. I was ill for about a week and still didn't feel up to it for another week. I've been on about 9 runs since and can't believe how much I've lost for not running for just over 2 weeks. My average km speed for July until I got ill was 5:06 per km, it has been 5:26 per km since. That doesn't sound much but it's pretty much all I've gained over the last year.

Must say, it's been pretty demoralising to the point where I've considered jacking it in.

After "The Pain" last year, I went from being fast every time I went out to barely being able to run at all. I have a record of a "run" where I managed under 2k at over seven minutes a K. I keep it on my Strava just so any time I'm disappointed with how I do on a particular day, or over a particular period, I can look at it. Not just because I consistently beat that time and distance easily now but to remember just how much that hurt in every way. Physically I was beaten and mentally it was gutting to not even complete a loop and have to walk back.

There's no point comparing yourself to how you were before you were ill. It may be that you're not fully recovered yet even though you feel fine. It could be any number of reasons. Set yourself a goal that isn't based on speed if not meeting it is going to be problematic. Maybe X hours or X distance per month (per week?) is a way of building back up.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

After "The Pain" last year, I went from being fast every time I went out to barely being able to run at all. I have a record of a "run" where I managed under 2k at over seven minutes a K. I keep it on my Strava just so any time I'm disappointed with how I do on a particular day, or over a particular period, I can look at it. Not just because I consistently beat that time and distance easily now but to remember just how much that hurt in every way. Physically I was beaten and mentally it was gutting to not even complete a loop and have to walk back.

There's no point comparing yourself to how you were before you were ill. It may be that you're not fully recovered yet even though you feel fine. It could be any number of reasons. Set yourself a goal that isn't based on speed if not meeting it is going to be problematic. Maybe X hours or X distance per month (per week?) is a way of building back up.

Thanks for this. I think I was demoralised mostly because I felt like I was out for such a short period of time. It's probably only the thought that in a couple of months I'd be back to square one completely that stopped me from quitting. 

My last couple of runs have felt a bit more normal mentally, albeit still slower. I think I am missing that focus of a big run to aim for and also the stopping of things like Parkrun and my school running club.

I will plough on and try and book something big for early next year.

• Like 1

147.3kgs thank you.

Last 2 weeks have been iffy, but back on it this week.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12-Aug 24-Aug 02-Sep   Week
Gain/Loss
Total
Gain/Loss
Shadow   84.80 84.50 84.10   -0.40 -3.30
Bedford Roughyed   147.40 147.00 147.30   0.30 0.50
Gingerjon   78.00 78.00 78.00   0.00 -4.50
Damien   101.15 101.15 100.70   -0.45 -7.25
Saint 1   84.00 86.00 86.00   0.00 -1.20
CanaBull   73.66 73.94 71.30   -2.64 -3.63
  • Like 1

Up again to 156lbs which feels a bit better at the moment.  Ran my longest since getting messed up in March on Saturday, 5.5km which was great and followed that up on Monday morning (was a long weekend here) with a 2.5km run which took in a couple of steep sections I'd been leery of and walked up/down previously.  Doesn't sound like a big distance or anything but that was a huge mental barrier taken down.

On 04/09/2020 at 17:30, CanaBull said:

153.6lbs this week, bounced back a little thankfully.  Ran 3.5KM Wednesday and up to 19km walking this week, pools still aren't open here and missing that!

20 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Up again to 156lbs which feels a bit better at the moment.  Ran my longest since getting messed up in March on Saturday, 5.5km which was great and followed that up on Monday morning (was a long weekend here) with a 2.5km run which took in a couple of steep sections I'd been leery of and walked up/down previously.  Doesn't sound like a big distance or anything but that was a huge mental barrier taken down.

I'm going to update the grid shortly, which one do you want me to use? :kolobok_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Weight is all over the place at the minute. Got down to 83kg, then went to 86kg in a couple of days. I've just started creatine which increases water retention which is probably the culprit, but it does make it harder to track my weight change! 

Same question :kolobok_biggrin:

24-Aug 02-Sep 17-Sep   Week
Gain/Loss
Total
Gain/Loss
Shadow   84.50 84.10 83.50   -0.60 -3.90
Saint 1   86.00 86.00 86.00   0.00 -1.20
CanaBull   73.94 71.30 70.76   -0.54 -4.17