CanaBull   71.84 71.66   -0.18 -2.28
Damien   104.30 104.30   0.00 -0.93
Bob8   78.80 78.50   -0.30 -2.20
bobbruce   89.40 89.40   0.00 -3.20
gingerjon   81.00 81.00   0.00 1.00
    863.94 863.36   -0.58 -12.11

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

My feet are definitely tender… 

Finished in 47hrs 50mins; really pleased! 

Brilliant, that is a seriously hard thing to have done.  Have you done an ultra before, or is this off the back of military stuff?

You've had me looking at my Pennine Way guidebook; definitely fancy running the whole thing. I reckon 11-12 days would be challenging for me, but doable, especially if I could sort out some kind of baggage transfer.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JonM said:

Brilliant, that is a seriously hard thing to have done.  Have you done an ultra before, or is this off the back of military stuff?

You've had me looking at my Pennine Way guidebook; definitely fancy running the whole thing. I reckon 11-12 days would be challenging for me, but doable, especially if I could sort out some kind of baggage transfer.

Thanks mate. I have done a couple of ultras before; the Wall race (70miles) along Hadrian’s Wall in 2012 and the Lakeland 50 in 2018. This was on another level; just brutal on the feet and the shear distance on very little sleep… basically 1.5hrs in just under 48hrs (Hebden Bridge). I did rest for longer sorting out my feet and eating at Hebden, Cowling, Gargrave and Malham plus I lay in a heap in the car park in Horton as I was in clip and hallucinating (only about 10mins as it was freezing but managed to smash a pork pie)… went a bit too quick over Fountains Fell (2359hrs) and Pen-y-Ghent (0103hrs). 😂 Some really low points: Bleaklow Head on Saturday (heat - about 25C), leaving Hebden at 0330hrs (chucking it down!), Cam Fell (never ending) and Hawes (my only real nav error - missed the track in Gayle). But massive positive experience… 

10-11 days would be a real challenge; basically a marathon a day. But very doable. There was a father son combo in the pub in Hawes doing just that. They were loving it. 

• Like 2

161lbs this week, Father's Day and my lads birthday.  Finally got to see him for more than 20 minutes at a time now that the COVID restrictions have eased somewhat here.  Pile of pizza on saturday and fish & chips last night, worth every bit! 🙂

159.3lbs this week, back to better habits.  Hot and muggy here this week, yesterday saw a 47C temp in BC, highest ever recorded in Canada, it's 32 with the humidex here in Ontario but bloody uncomfortable.  I have one more training run to do before the 5k on Saturday, first 5K since March 2020.  Hoping to be around the 35 minute mark but if it's as hot as it is right now I'll be very happy with 40.

Went on holiday for a week and put on half a stone. Climbed to 69.5kg and have been on the case since I got back. I'm now 67.9kg and targeting being back at 66kg by the start of next week.

It was a walking holiday, but also an eating and drinking holiday. The latter outweigh (quite literally) the former.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 22/06/2021 at 20:40, GeordieSaint said:

10-11 days would be a real challenge; basically a marathon a day. But very doable. 

Yes, pretty confident that a marathon a day for 10 days would be doable for me when it could be done in say 6-7 hours rather than 4. Terrain and weather a much bigger challenge than some other multi-day runs I've done, but I've some familiarity with the route too, so navigation less of a problem, and there's actually shops, pubs and places to stay en route which helps hugely.  Like you though, not much scope for hill training round here; I need to move up north 🙂 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2021 at 14:27, JonM said:

Yes, pretty confident that a marathon a day for 10 days would be doable for me when it could be done in say 6-7 hours rather than 4. Terrain and weather a much bigger challenge than some other multi-day runs I've done, but I've some familiarity with the route too, so navigation less of a problem, and there's actually shops, pubs and places to stay en route which helps hugely.  Like you though, not much scope for hill training round here; I need to move up north 🙂 

The weather is a big variable; I had 25C, heavy rainfall and 0C temperatures all in a 48hr window. The difficult part of the terrain isn’t really the topography; only Cross Fell has any real height and Pen-y-Ghent any real form of difficulty on the route up. But the quality of the trail is the issue; some of it is laden with some pretty rough, hard tracks where farmers use vehicles on the Way. The flagstones on many well used routes are also a pain in the harris… it’s that which ruins your feet!! Lots of places to reenergise though as you correctly point out - I know a cracking little tearoom below Windy Ghyll on the edge of the Otterburn Training Area if you are desperate in the last few miles! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

The weather is a big variable; I had 25C, heavy rainfall and 0C temperatures all in a 48hr window. The difficult part of the terrain isn’t really the topography; only Cross Fell has any real height and Pen-y-Ghent any real form of difficulty on the route up. But the quality of the trail is the issue; some of it is laden with some pretty rough, hard tracks where farmers use vehicles on the Way. 

When I ran the Hebridean Way, a fair bit of the route is through ankle/knee deep peat bog and looking for places to cross streams, so rough hard tracks sounds pretty ideal. I think some of the terrain and paths up in the North Pennines and Northumberland are much rougher in comparison with the Pennine Way further south though.  Anyway, seems like this is a thing https://www.contoursrun.co.uk/run-pennine-way#R-PEN1 which gives me some ideas for an itinerary. Something for next year I think.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I'll update the spreadsheet if we get a couple more results posted

Sorry been away again for a few weeks. Will post what will probably be a large increase later. 

• 2 weeks later...
    21-Jun 14-Jul   Week
Gain/Loss
Total
Gain/Loss
Shadow   87.10 86.10   -1.00 -1.40
Bedford Roughyed   164.70 164.70   0.00 7.30
Tim2   66.70 67.90   1.20 -6.20
Matt Santos   120.00 121.00   1.00 -3.00
CanaBull   71.66 72.25   0.59 -1.69
Damien   104.30 104.30   0.00 -0.93
Bob8   78.50 78.50   0.00 -2.20
bobbruce   89.40 89.40   0.00 -3.20
gingerjon   81.00 81.00   0.00 1.00
    863.36 865.15   1.79 -10.32

Update on the spreadsheet.

I had my Heart Ablation on Friday, post operative fluid retention boosted me to 91.7KG on Saturday, having a properly working heart again meant I'd cleared it all and another kilo by Tuesday. Give it a couple of weeks for the scarring and swelling to reduce and I'll be out pounding the mean streets of the New Forest again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I weighed in at 68.3kg this morning. I think I'm stabilising at this weight now, although I'd like to be around 65. On the plus side, I ran parkrun at its relaunch event and clocked 23.13, my 7th best time out of 265 parkruns, my best for 6 years and my best age-graded score by some distance.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

My 4th week over walking rugby and I've achieved my first goal of doing the full session.... warm up, skills and game.

During todays game I didn't drop a ball, intercepted x2 and even broke the line once.

Being morbidly obese now, I thought I'd never enjoy exercise again. Tonight I'm as high as a bloody kite and can't come down. It's so addictive. A 60 year old fat lad gets chance to play a form of rugby with old and new mates.

I'm proper buzzin.. ... some folks pay a fortune to get this high man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tim2 said:

I weighed in at 68.3kg this morning. I think I'm stabilising at this weight now, although I'd like to be around 65. On the plus side, I ran parkrun at its relaunch event and clocked 23.13, my 7th best time out of 265 parkruns, my best for 6 years and my best age-graded score by some distance.

Excellent. I think I've got to the point where age-graded scores need to be the target - did a 64.99% a couple of years back, nowhere near that today. Lovely to be back doing parkrun though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonM said:

Excellent. I think I've got to the point where age-graded scores need to be the target - did a 64.99% a couple of years back, nowhere near that today. Lovely to be back doing parkrun though.

My age grading was 68.5% - official result was 23.12 which was actually my 6th best parkrun out of 265. I never thought I'd get near a PB again but I think it's on. I felt so strong yesterday that I reckon I'd have been close to a 10K PB if I'd carried on. My heart rate was ridiculously low all the way round.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on this thread for a while. 

At the beginning of lockdown I was 22st 2lbs. Today the first number is 18. It hasn't been 18 for a very long time. Ok it's 18st 12.8lbs but it's another barrier broken. 😀

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 7
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Seem to be 80.5kg - not sure what it was last time I weighed myself but that's what it is today.

My not-at-all-humble brag is completing the 'undulating' Bedgebury 10k last night in a chip time of 49:56.

I mean, my GPS has it that it was 9.7k but, I'm afraid, we have to accept the offical measuring on this occasion.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21-Jun 14-Jul 06-Aug   Week
Gain/Loss
Total
Gain/Loss
Shadow   87.10 86.10 88.20   2.10 0.70
Bedford Roughyed   164.70 164.70 164.70   0.00 7.30
Tim2   66.70 67.90 68.30   0.40 -5.80
Matt Santos   120.00 121.00 121.00   0.00 -3.00
CanaBull   71.66 72.25 77.25   5.00 3.31
Damien   104.30 104.30 104.30   0.00 -0.93
Bob8   78.50 78.50 78.50   0.00 -2.20
bobbruce   89.40 89.40 89.40   0.00 -3.20
Wiltshire Rhino       120.10   120.10 -20.50
gingerjon   81.00 81.00 80.50   -0.50 0.50
    863.36 865.15 992.25   127.10 -23.82

I will be back out running from Saturday AM, I'm registered for Park Run and will aim to get on there by the end of August. I want to be able to run 5K without stopping before I go there.

I also hope my extra 2Kg is largely fluid retention, Edema's one of the side effects of one of the many drugs I am prescribed and my ankles do look like pillows at the end of the day.

Edited by Shadow
  • Thanks 1