Fitness Thread

A spin-off of the Losing and Gaining Weight threads, I was a little inspired and thought it could be good to start a fitness thread. I am trying to get back in shape after putting on weight over Christmas. I intend to go to teh gym tomorrow and work hard, but know I am more likely to do that if I write it on here.

TRL Fitness Club

Griff9of13 to come up with something

Bedford Roughyed is going for 10K steps

Wiltshire Rhino will be doing three miles (the occasional in the walking, until a few months later is is occasional walks in the running).

Saint1, up at 4:45 for the gym tomorrow, doing some acceleration work and a lower body session, followed by some intervals on the rower.

GingerJon will be averaging 3K a day

Damian will make us pround

I will go on a boxing bag and finish when I am knackered

Johnoco is joining us on Tuesday!

Niels is off to the gym on Tuesday

Tim2 doing about 3k per day

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Yes, me too. But I'm finding it difficult as I'm working away from home Monday - Friday ATM. I can't justify forking out the sort of money for a hotel that includes a gym. I have begun a series of moderate exercises in the hotel bedroom though; sit ups and press ups. And I have also had a couple of goes out on a "Sadiq Cycle" last week. Very modest stuff I know, but got to start somewhere.

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

8 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Yes, me too. But I'm finding it difficult as I'm working away from home Monday - Friday ATM. I can't justify forking out the sort of money for a hotel that includes a gym. I have begun a series of moderate exercises in the hotel bedroom though; sit ups and press ups. And I have also had a couple of goes out on a "Sadiq Cycle" last week. Very modest stuff I know, but got to start somewhere.

Indeed.

I am also working away from home. The irony that I could put a slap up meal with wine with expenses, but if I eat a sandwich and go to the gym it costs me more are not lost on me.

I have actually restarted the 100 press-ups which I first did seven or eight years ago. That and a bit of boxing training in the gym. I actually did boxercise yesterday morning (by mistake, and I was the only bloke there) and really enjoyed it :)

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Tomorrow morning I will get up an hour earlier and go for a 3 mile walk.

I will continue to (try) to do this everyday, adding a bit of running when I feel I can, until it becomes a 3 mile run. 

I was already doing the walking bit but got out of the habit with an injury. However, after seeing a short documentary (posted on Weight Loss/Gain thread) I'm going to get back on it. 

Thank you Dave Potts

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I'm up at 4:45 for the gym tomorrow, doing some acceleration work and a lower body session, followed by some intervals on the rower. I'm at that annoying point of my (self-written) gym routine which means each session gets progressively longer, meaning I will likely be there for about 2 and a half hours!

After work, I'm gonna be coaching for 2 hours so a reasonable amount of running around there too.

Could you just pay for a session or two at a nearby gym? Should only cost a few quid per session. If not, there's plenty of good bodyweight exercises if you do get bored with sit ups and press ups!

I think you count as the thread athlete. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

It’s fun to stay at the YMCA.

Or at least check out if a nearby one of them has gym facilities the public can use.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My target this year is to run 1,000k having run 0k in 2017 and 700 odd in 2018.

I also apologise to anyone who ran Hastings parkrun yesterday. Who was I to know that handing out tokens could be so fraught?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

It’s fun to stay at the YMCA.

Or at least check out if a nearby one of them has gym facilities the public can use.

The only gyms anywhere reasonably close to the hotel I use are the membership type.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I started again yesterday after my Christmas and New year binge, dread to think how much weight I've put on. Weights yesterday and cardio today (30 mins exercise bike plus 30 mins cross trainer). The difficulty starts tomorrow and keeping it going Monday to Friday when back at work.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

The only gyms anywhere reasonably close to the hotel I use are the membership type.

Generally, they let you try it out for free for one day.

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

If it's any consolation, today I haven't left the house! Given my depression, I tend to find the more that I exercise the more energy I have, so staying in good habits is really important for my mental health.

https://www.puregym.com/free-gym-pass/ They are offering free 3 day passes and have 230 gyms nationally, might be worth a look!

It's not for everyone but could you exercise before work? Willpower depletes over the course of a day and also it's very difficult for life to get in the way if you train in the morning! 

Then all the more good luck to you!

I will be working from home in the future, so early morning exercise is looking more possible and necessary.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

I started again yesterday after my Christmas and New year binge, dread to think how much weight I've put on. Weights yesterday and cardio today (30 mins exercise bike plus 30 mins cross trainer). The difficulty starts tomorrow and keeping it going Monday to Friday when back at work.

I was very millenial and took a photo of myself as I am and out of shape. It should spur me on.

Let us know how you get on!

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

It's not for everyone but could you exercise before work? Willpower depletes over the course of a day and also it's very difficult for life to get in the way if you train in the morning! 

I've done it very occasionally when I've been up early anyway. I do find it generally difficult to get up early to train as I generally get up at 6 as it is to miss the traffic. In the Winter months it also seems much more difficult!

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

It can feel ridiculous, but I occasionally buy light dumbbells and use a work out on YouTube.

Right, so...

Wiltshire Rhino will be doing three miles (the occasional in the walking, until a few months later is is occasional walks in the running).

Saint1, up at 4:45 for the gym tomorrow, doing some acceleration work and a lower body session, followed by some intervals on the rower.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Right, so...

I would like to join Bob if there is room please?

Ive just started going to the gym after illness, Tuesday and Fridays. 

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

I would like to join Bob if there is room please?

Ive just started going to the gym after illness, Tuesday and Fridays. 

Membership approved!

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get a decent amount of running in this year - 1000K target.

I hate going to the gym - I only do it when absolutely necessary so it's all going to be road or trail.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I hate going to the gym - I only do it when absolutely necessary so it's all going to be road or trail.

You are also in.  See the first post.

1 minute ago, shrek said:

I need to get back into the gym, can't find the motivation though.

Try something else?  Change as good as a rest and all that?

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

25 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The gym's not for me either. Give me a pushbike and the open road. Will have done just shy of 9,000 miles over the last year. The pinnacle, literally, was cycling up Mont Ventoux, the most feared of all the Tour de France climbs, with my brother. The sense of achievement and elation on reaching the summit was something else.

• Like 6

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Given my depression, I tend to find the more that I exercise the more energy I have, so staying in good habits is really important for my mental health.

While I don't suffer with "bad" mental health, I do always feel better after exercise. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner