Fitness Thread

Ludicrously proud of myself. Parkrun time of 22:28. When I did my first one then breaking 25 minutes was the absolute limit of my ambition and I didn't think I'd ever do it.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Ludicrously proud of myself. Parkrun time of 22:28. When I did my first one then breaking 25 minutes was the absolute limit of my ambition and I didn't think I'd ever do it.

Brilliant - that's better than my parkrun PB of 22.45 and just short of my overall 5K PB of 22.26

I did 23.44 today at a hilly Wollaton Hall in Nottingham. It's my 3rd best age graded run and definitely my best on a course with elevation. It was my first time there, which means I've visited 77 diferent parkruns.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Weight is a bit of a concern, though. Up to 69kg this week.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

40 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Brilliant - that's better than my parkrun PB of 22.45 and just short of my overall 5K PB of 22.26

I did 23.44 today at a hilly Wollaton Hall in Nottingham. It's my 3rd best age graded run and definitely my best on a course with elevation. It was my first time there, which means I've visited 77 diferent parkruns.

They had some issue with the results so the official time has come back as 22:33 which, to be fair, I will still absolutely take. I think my previous best was 23:20 (something like that anyway) which I managed once, got injured, and then never got close to again.

To keep me in my place though, a guy I work with his doing 'just his latest run' today which involves him covering London to Canterbury.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

They had some issue with the results so the official time has come back as 22:33 which, to be fair, I will still absolutely take. I think my previous best was 23:20 (something like that anyway) which I managed once, got injured, and then never got close to again.

To keep me in my place though, a guy I work with his doing 'just his latest run' today which involves him covering London to Canterbury.

I watched the Eliud Kipchoge documentary on Sky the other night. 2.50 per km over 42 km. That's 8 parkruns and a bit at 14.10 each. He's quite good at running. My best recorded kilometer, slightly downhill, is 4.16.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

A bit of food poisoning 🤮

On a plus note - 117.6kg

Every cloud and all that

Whatever it takes ...

A food poisoning free (so far, anyway) 79.9kg for me today.

68kg this week. I've pretty much flattened out now.

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I am having a midlife crisis. Signed up for the Lap (Windermere) in May and Lakes in a Day (Caldbeck to Cartmel) in October. All prep for the Summer Spine race in June 24 if I can get a place. Must be mad… 👀👀👀

Summer spine?  Pfft go winter or go home…

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

29 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Ha… I’ll look forward to seeing your name on the entry list then BR! 😉

I’ll happily watch a dot from my sofa thank you! 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 06/03/2023 at 16:50, GeordieSaint said:

I am having a midlife crisis. Signed up for the Lap (Windermere) in May

Is that the brathay marathon? Did it last year - absolutely torrential rain for the first half and my slowest ever time. The ten in ten runners are special though. Or is it something different?

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

Is that the brathay marathon? Did it last year - absolutely torrential rain for the first half and my slowest ever time. The ten in ten runners are special though. Or is it something different?

I think you are talking about something different. The Lap is a 48-mile ultra round Windermere. Starts down near Newby Bridge (and finishes there too!). 

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

I think you are talking about something different. The Lap is a 48-mile ultra round Windermere. Starts down near Newby Bridge (and finishes there too!). 

Right, thought a mere marathon sounded a bit soft for you.... The brathay marathon is simply a lap of the lake - 26.2miles, also in May.

17 hours ago, JonM said:

Right, thought a mere marathon sounded a bit soft for you.... The brathay marathon is simply a lap of the lake - 26.2miles, also in May.

Ha..: I actually think a marathon is harder than let’s say The Lap. Unless you are a mountain goat, ultras are about completion rather than pure speed like a marathon. Things like the Spine (all the races) are obviously a different ball park though…

On 07/03/2023 at 07:13, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Started walking football just over a month ago. Best thing I’ve ever done. 

I’ve considered doing that. Is it all power walking or do you just stroll around? 

Glad this came up to the top again and seeing people doing cool things!  I had very little activity at all in 2022 and made a goal to do better in 2023.  I managed to keep the weight off watching what I ate this last 18 months or so but now everything is open again it's back to swimming and the rec centre track.

Signed up for the Toronto Waterfront 5k in October and hopefully back to doing regular 5k's by then.  Did 2k at the track this week which is more than I've done in more than a year so I'm really happy with that.  Good luck to everyone!

• 1 month later...

Just done Leg 2 of the Bob Graham Round (Threkeld to Dunmail Raise via Helvellyn) as it’s part of the Lakes in a Day race I am doing in October. 4hrs 55mins in total with a moving time to 3hrs 45mins. 14 miles with just shy of 1900m altitude gain/decent…

… stupid idea. Calves are now in lots of pain! 😂

• Like 1

I’ve done a few yoga sessions a week for quite a few months now and I’ve not had a back ache since I started.

I must admit I had some particularly unreconstructed views about yoga over the decades. My physiotherapist suggested I give it a try so I did.

Initially it was significantly harder than I anticipated but I’m slowly becoming more comfortable with it.

I’m still experimenting with the different styles of yoga and am slowly settling on particular teachers and techniques.

I feel sooooo much better and now regret not starting years ago.

22 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’ve done a few yoga sessions a week for quite a few months now and I’ve not had a back ache since I started.

I must admit I had some particularly unreconstructed views about yoga over the decades. My physiotherapist suggested I give it a try so I did.

Initially it was significantly harder than I anticipated but I’m slowly becoming more comfortable with it.

I’m still experimenting with the different styles of yoga and am slowly settling on particular teachers and techniques.

I feel sooooo much better and now regret not starting years ago.

I've been doing yoga for years...in many cases I was the only male in various classes...if I had only known in my younger years that this was the best place to pick up women!!!!

• Haha 1