World Club Challenge

Allora

Interesting to note that superstar Latrell Mitchell's older brother Shaquai is in the squad. He is a 22 year old prop forward who weighs in at 150 kg (330 lbs.)! That makes the Burgess twins look puny by comparison. He has no NRL experience so far, but if he develops playing in the lower grades, and really is as good as his lower grade coach claims, he will be a future force to be reckoned with.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/latrell-mitchell-ready-to-welcome-big-brother-to-nrl-20181117-p50gn1.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Interesting to note that superstar Latrell Mitchell's older brother Shaquai is in the squad. He is a 22 year old prop forward who weighs in at 150 kg (330 lbs.)! That makes the Burgess twins look puny by comparison. He has no NRL experience so far, but if he develops playing in the lower grades, and really is as good as his lower grade coach claims, he will be a future force to be reckoned with.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/latrell-mitchell-ready-to-welcome-big-brother-to-nrl-20181117-p50gn1.html

This is the only picture I could find of him. He definitely won't be 150kg when he is ready to play 1st grade. I'm not sure the Burgess brothers are that puny compared to him... just less wobbly. 

f99d42f17db2414205a926e41c19df70.jpeg.jpg

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is the only picture I could find of him. He definitely won't be 150kg when he is ready to play 1st grade. I'm not sure the Burgess brothers are that puny compared to him... just less wobbly. 

He has slimed down a bit it seems, he will lose more weight was the first grade conditioners get hold of him.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

22 minutes ago, Allora said:

He has slimed down a bit it seems, he will lose more weight was the first grade conditioners get hold of him.

According to this site he is now at 125kg which seems about right for his 194cm (6'4") height.

http://www.fanleague.com.au/player/shaquai-mitchell

I expect he will end up a little smaller than Tom and George Burgess when fully conditioned. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

He'd be a superstar in another, closely related, sport with that physique.

Things you learn with a casual web search - Latrell Mitchell's original surname is Goolagong, from the same family as the famous Aussie Tennis player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Roosters will be huge favourites but these games aren't always as straightforward as they appear. Most expected us to lose to Cronulla but they were pretty poor on the day. I don't expect a full strength side so that might level things a little. If the weather is typical for this time of year, and the Roosters are a little rusty, that might give Wigan a bit more hope. Plus Adrian Lam should be as familiar as anyone with their style of play so will presumably prep the team well. I think we'll need a lot in our favour to get the win though.

It's hard to guess the Wigan team though before a pre-season game. I don't think anyone will be certain what the team will be until the Saints game.

It won't be a settled Wigan team at this point, what with all the influential players that have left, so I'd expect a Roosters win. But a good, positive showing will be okay by me.

An absolute one-sided shellacking would be a shame.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Things you learn with a casual web search - Latrell Mitchell's original surname is Goolagong, from the same family as the famous Aussie Tennis player.

It appears he does not get on well with Evonne's side of the Family.

Apologies. Didn't see the thread already started on this.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, my missus said:

struggling for a crowd like that there is no promotion of the game whatsoever if anyone is treating it as a warm up its wigan.

Where do you get that impression from? The guys I speak to at Wigan are very upbeat about the crowd for this game.

The hospitality side has virtually sold out, and regular ticket sales are going well.

Just because they haven't personally been round to your house to convince you to go doesn't mean they aren't trying to sell tickets.

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Where do you get that impression from? The guys I speak to at Wigan are very upbeat about the crowd for this game.

The hospitality side has virtually sold out, and regular ticket sales are going well.

Just because they haven't personally been round to your house to convince you to go doesn't mean they aren't trying to sell tickets.

they came to my house and after a stiff headlock and Chinese burns left with 26 quid!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 2 weeks later...

Sydney Roosters announce their 23 man Squad.

Mitchell Aubusson

Nat Butcher

Lindsay Collins

Boyd Cordner (c)

Angus Crichton

Cooper Cronk

Poasa Faamausili

Jake Friend (c)

Ryan Hall

Matt Ikuvalu

Luke Keary

Asu Kepaoa

Lachlan Lam

Isaac Liu

Joseph Manu

Brett Morris

Victor Radley

Siosiua Taukeiaho

James Tedesco

Zane Tetevano

Daniel Tupou

Sitili Tupouniua

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

Interesting Ryan Hall is included. I thought he was still out for a little while yet. 

I doubt Hall will be playing, he will be along for the experience and team bonding I would think.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Why on earth does it KO at 7pm on a Sunday? I wouldn’t mind going but no way I’m travelling from Leeds to Wigan on a Sunday evening

I'm staggered they didn't contact you to discuss a convenient time and date.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Why on earth does it KO at 7pm on a Sunday? I wouldn’t mind going but no way I’m travelling from Leeds to Wigan on a Sunday evening

Its been organised to suit the Australian TV viewers to build the strength of the brand and concept downunder as the Convicts do not get how important this game is to our Sport.

Monday 5am for the Queenslanders and 6am for the NSW and Vic viewers, almost perfect timing.

33 minutes ago, Allora said:

Monday 5am for the Queenslanders and 6am for the NSW and Vic viewers, almost perfect timing.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, or should I say i'm hoping this is sarcasm. The time of the game has widely been regarding in Aus as the worst time imaginable to them. Surely Saturday 8pm (UK) Sunday 7am (Aus) KO would have reached a far wider audience down under and over here for that matter? 

29 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, or should I say i'm hoping this is sarcasm. The time of the game has widely been regarding in Aus as the worst time imaginable to them. Surely Saturday 8pm (UK) Sunday 7am (Aus) KO would have reached a far wider audience down under and over here for that matter? 

It is sarcasm.

In the past the game was broadcast on delay at 1:55 am on Tuesday morning on free to air TV

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

It is sarcasm.

In the past the game was broadcast on delay at 1:55 am on Tuesday morning on free to air TV

Haha phew! 

But yeah, I get when there's 10/11 hour time difference it's always going to be a challenge to get the time right but when you're trying to get an Oz audience to buy into this concept, making them get up at 5/6am Monday morning is criminal. 

Archived