Widdop - Wire

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could 2020 be Warrington's year?

:huh:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

Could 2020 be Warrington's year?

:huh:

Not if he flops like Johns did! ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

25 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Oh gawd, another tiresome DaveT circular  argument. OK, there’s no issue with Wire’s expensive squad full of internationals/ NRL imports and the salary cap. You win!

Aye it's always everyone else mok. Maybe you should look at your posts, to which I replied. You questioned the cap, I clarified and you changed your point. It is there in black and white.

I expect Widdopp will replace Brown with similar cap value, but a higher real value. Nowt to do with the cap, but will undoubtedly increase the wage bill.

27 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Great for Super League, bad for Simon Moran’s bank balance, but he can afford it.

Simon Moran is not on his own with regards to funding Warrington, there are three main investors who all put money in ,the general running of the club is within revenue the club gets from use of the stadium 7 days a week. 

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Simon Moran is not on his own with regards to funding Warrington, there are three main investors who all put money in ,the general running of the club is within revenue the club gets from use of the stadium 7 days a week. 

There are a few things that get overlooked here.

To fund a signing like this, even if it was done through investors, it probably only costs around £200k extra per year on top of usual spend. For a sporting club rich owner this is pittance butbthis rules prevented it previously.

In certain years we have spent more than that on transfer fees.

It is not unusual for the top clubs to return a profit that could cover this. Particularly if it increases ticket sales up front.

The investments here are pretty modest.

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Oh gawd, another tiresome DaveT circular  argument. OK, there’s no issue with Wire’s expensive squad full of internationals/ NRL imports and the salary cap. You win!

Aye, bloody annoying how Dave T is always right!

Hold on a minute though...

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Gareth Widdopp trending 20th in United Kingdom on Twitter.

If we wait a while I bet he'll be 19th, 21st or summat.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Just now, Moove said:

Geez if that's true you really had your pants pulled down on that deal

Obviously I don't know Browns value, but I'd be surprised if he was much less than 150 grand on the cap. Probably more. Halves are in demand.

The only reason Adam Pearson took Frank Pritchard was because the doggies were paying most of his salary, that we've not had a marquee player before or since says either AP is a tight wad or he doesn't really think the outlay is worth the risk against the potential gains.

He's certainly no benefactor and the 2016/17 CC wins were really a massive part of the profit posted. When we sold Joe Westerman for £150k in October of 2015 and the CC win in the August were really all that separated the club between profit and loss as the club posted a £269,574 profit on the years accounts to 31st October 2016 (previously it was a £75k loss). 2017 was also a £285k profit which still leaves a loss on reserve IIRC.

I know AP has shifted the companies address from Nottingham to the KC, several directors have 'resigned' in the last couple of years and the clubs sales have done very well plus the away ticket sales money went up to 25% so given our away support that's another extra wedge. 

It will be interesting to see how the 2018 accounts stack up as AP said that the club should break even if we don't make a final. This was from the Hull Daily mail in March 2018

“We are now in a position where if we have a reasonable season we should be breaking even and if we can get to a final we’ll be showing a profit and that’s always been the goal, to make this club self-sustainable.”

12 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

The only reason Adam Pearson took Frank Pritchard was because the doggies were paying most of his salary, that we've not had a marquee player before or since says either AP is a tight wad or he doesn't really think the outlay is worth the risk against the potential gains.

He's certainly no benefactor and the 2016/17 CC wins were really a massive part of the profit posted. When we sold Joe Westerman for £150k in October of 2015 and the CC win in the August were really all that separated the club between profit and loss as the club posted a £269,574 profit on the years accounts to 31st October 2016 (previously it was a £75k loss). 2017 was also a £285k profit which still leaves a loss on reserve IIRC.

I know AP has shifted the companies address from Nottingham to the KC, several directors have 'resigned' in the last couple of years and the clubs sales have done very well plus the away ticket sales money went up to 25% so given our away support that's another extra wedge. 

It will be interesting to see how the 2018 accounts stack up as AP said that the club should break even if we don't make a final. This was from the Hull Daily mail in March 2018

“We are now in a position where if we have a reasonable season we should be breaking even and if we can get to a final we’ll be showing a profit and that’s always been the goal, to make this club self-sustainable.”

I have struggled through this a couple of times, but still can't see why it is on this thread.

Very pleased about this signing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The last piece of the jigsaw, if they can just find it from under the table.

But seriously, it is a good signing for Wire and SL.  Wish 'em well.   But do just put it in context, he will be 30 in 2020 season.  He and Wire are expecting him to have greater longevity in SL. Is that right?   On thing is for sure at moment is that he will earn less per game in SL than in the NRL!!

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The last piece of the jigsaw, if they can just find it from under the table.

But seriously, it is a good signing for Wire and SL.  Wish 'em well.   But do just put it in context, he will be 30 in 2020 season.  He and Wire are expecting him to have greater longevity in SL. Is that right?   On thing is for sure at moment is that he will earn less per game in SL than in the NRL!!

Personally I don't think the age thing is a major issue, we are currently running round with a less talented 34 year old stand off, so this will be an improvement! It is pretty common for players to be playing up to mid-30's now, and as a stand off vision and experience (and kicking) can be as crucial as that yard of pace you may have lost.

The clear risk is through injury as he gets older, but I think if he was going to be 34 when he came over that would be a bigger issue.

What I wouldn't give to be 30 again!!!

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Personally I don't think the age thing is a major issue, we are currently running round with a less talented 34 year old stand off, so this will be an improvement! It is pretty common for players to be playing up to mid-30's now, and as a stand off vision and experience (and kicking) can be as crucial as that yard of pace you may have lost.

The clear risk is through injury as he gets older, but I think if he was going to be 34 when he came over that would be a bigger issue.

What I wouldn't give to be 30 again!!!

This is all true, as was I believe my comment.  It is all to do with getting the balance of the team.  Plus the quality and experience of Widdop will encourage more young players to be attracted to Warrington.  Superleague generally will benefit and we do need fresh quality blood in the competition.

14 hours ago, chuffer said:

Impressive signing for wire. Seems an unexpected, odd move though....i mean he'd be leaving behind a nice Wollongong beach lifestyle for...errmm... Stockton heath most likely

Massive spiders....sand storms.......giant hail stones.......Australians.........Sydney ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Think i'd rather live in England than anywhere else.........especially on £500k a year ?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

15 hours ago, chuffer said:

Impressive signing for wire. Seems an unexpected, odd move though....i mean he'd be leaving behind a nice Wollongong beach lifestyle for...errmm... Stockton heath most likely

Sydney or Wollongong in this case is not the Utopia it's made out to be, living in the north of England, especially on a massive wage is far nicer IMO.

41 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Massive spiders....sand storms.......giant hail stones.......Australians.........Sydney ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Think i'd rather live in England than anywhere else.........especially on £500k a year ?

I think you are right, and I'm not joking.  Apparently because of plate tectonics, Australia is heading steadily northwards towards Indonesia and then Hong Kong.  

Archived