Ian Lenagan on the attack

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Ian Lenagan has shown once again why he is the best club chairman in all of Super League.

Shame his actual performance as a club owner in crowds and revenues has been so abysmal.

33 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

What is the evidence of that?

In 2012 Wigan's average attendance was 16043 (www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wigan-top-average-attendance-table), last season it was 11528 (http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/332987-uk-sl-attendances-2018).

What was the Wigan aggregate attendance   2012 compared with 2018?

What was the Wigan aggregate ticket revenue in 2012 compared with 2018?

To what extent were the RFL responsible for the promotion of the season 2012 compared with 2018.

Now that SuperLeague has been freed from the dead hand of the RFL, what improvement to attendances and tricket revenues do you expect?

Irrespective of what people think of how Ian Lenegan has run the Wigan club his article over this stupid decision is spot on and the RFL have embarrassed our game and the person/people responsible should be asked to vacate their positions as soon as possible.

I do wish though that the SL bosses would spend their time focusing on their positives - the second half of that article, discussing Barcelona was more the stuff I want to hear about in the lead up to SL launch. I want to hear about how we are confident we will get 40-50k and smash the SL regular game crowd record. 

SLE and its clubs would do well to focus on positives, rather than make headlines about the RFL and another club.

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do wish though that the SL bosses would spend their time focusing on their positives - the second half of that article, discussing Barcelona was more the stuff I want to hear about in the lead up to SL launch. I want to hear about how we are confident we will get 40-50k and smash the SL regular game crowd record. 

SLE and its clubs would do well to focus on positives, rather than make headlines about the RFL and another club.

In my experience journalists ask a series of questions and formulate an article from the responses. It's not usually just a case of an article on the one issue you wish to eulogise about.

He was in charge in 2012...

IL is at his best when he shows his willingness to take risks, when he invests in people and gets a chance to grow the game. Hence our juniors, women’s teams, on the road games etc. 

He is right in this instance, but I wish he would focus more on his day job at times, rather than trying to run the game. 

Just now, Damien said:

In my experience journalists ask a series of questions and formulate an article from the responses. It's not usually just a case of an article on the one issue you wish to eulogise about.

I get that, but so does Ian Lenegan, surely he has been in this game more than long enough to understand this. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

He was in charge in 2012...

IL is at his best when he shows his willingness to take risks, when he invests in people and gets a chance to grow the game. Hence our juniors, women’s teams, on the road games etc. 

He is right in this instance, but I wish he would focus more on his day job at times, rather than trying to run the game. 

This is my point. There is nothing good coming from that point being plastered everywhere (accepting Damien's point that IL will only have so much control over that).

With two weeks to go, I want to hear about the positive changes for SL this year, I want to hear about Barcelona, what other bold plans do Wigan have to grow this year? 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I would suspect that the 2nd part would have been the reason for the interview, but a grumble is much better for headline grabbing, so that gets the top billing.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I get that, but so does Ian Lenegan, surely he has been in this game more than long enough to understand this. 

I'd rather him ask answer a question honestly than lie or avoid it, which would be rather difficult in this case anyway. The point I'm trying to get at is that the Catalan question may have been a tiny part of the interview, say less than 5% but it was a lot more newsworthy than the 95% of guff that would have been talked about and which wouldn't have even been reported.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Agree Dave. The point he makes is absolutely on the money. But these chairmen are making themselves faces of the game by constantly being in the spotlight. Although we are not a SL club our chairman is guilty of it also. It is as if the chairmen are becoming the stars of the game and its totally wrong.

They all in my opinion need to take a leaf out of Simon Morans book and run the club in the background.

Also agree with your point they also make themselves public on negativities rather than drumming up the positives that are around the corner this year

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Let's be honest here, Lenagan could make far more money spending his time on his business investments - Wigan RL is a hobby rather than a job. In fact, are any SL club owners really liked?! :blink:

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is my point. There is nothing good coming from that point being plastered everywhere (accepting Damien's point that IL will only have so much control over that).

With two weeks to go, I want to hear about the positive changes for SL this year, I want to hear about Barcelona, what other bold plans do Wigan have to grow this year? 

He does talk about Barcelona towards the end of the article, bigging up the Catalans vs Wigan game there and suggesting there might be 40,000 or 50,000 people there, which would be awesome if it actually happens.

He's also entirely correct about the idiocy of the RFL in asking Catalans to pay this ridiculous bond, and I for one am glad someone outside of an internet forum is making some noise about it.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Is it at all possible for there to be a thread on here,without someone being negative within two or three postings?

It is a negative article - a club owner attacking the RFL - for the discussion to be negative is hardly a stretch.

Just now, wilsontown said:

He does talk about Barcelona towards the end of the article, bigging up the Catalans vs Wigan game there and suggesting there might be 40,000 or 50,000 people there, which would be awesome if it actually happens.

He's also entirely correct about the idiocy of the RFL in asking Catalans to pay this ridiculous bond, and I for one am glad someone outside of an internet forum is making some noise about it.

Yes, I acknowledged that in my other post. 

Are you suggesting that this is the only place that this has been mentioned outside of the forum? Because this has been the biggest RL story for the last week or so, and Catalans have done a great job of getting this public.

It is a negative article - a club owner attacking the RFL - for the discussion to be negative is hardly a stretch.

I suppose you could say it is a negative article, but is that down to Lenagan? He didn't write it after all. If the Guardian had led with his Barcelona predictions and relegated his RFL rant to the last couple of paragraphs it would come across quite differently.

Yes, I acknowledged that in my other post. 

Are you suggesting that this is the only place that this has been mentioned outside of the forum? Because this has been the biggest RL story for the last week or so, and Catalans have done a great job of getting this public.

No, not suggesting that, but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Archived