Stuart Raper

The Art of Hand and Foot

Just read the interview with Stuart Raper in league express. His comments about the Oldham v Australia game were interesting. Because the Aussies were bigger, faster and more skilful, Ray Ashton asked "what can we do then?" , Bruiser Clarke replied "We cheat " . Stuart Raper says that we "got away with it". Heh heh heh. I remember the teams lining up for the national anthems and Bruiser throwing the ball into the face of one of the Aussies. I knew then we were in for a cracker.

The single most exiting and memorable game ever...the reason why I still long for ORLFC to climb out of the rut...I was there and the whole thing was Awesome...even though we lost!  Colin Hawkyard was Immense on the night....Bruiser was surely up for it. The sheddings was rockin that night!

23 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

The single most exiting and memorable game ever...the reason why I still long for ORLFC to climb out of the rut...I was there and the whole thing was Awesome...even though we lost!  Colin Hawkyard was Immense on the night....Bruiser was surely up for it. The sheddings was rockin that night!

It certainly was,we rocked that night. 

I think I've mentioned this before but ho-hum.

I was at the Aussie game and bought the commemorative tie which looked like a menagerie.  A kangaroo, an owl, a Lancashire rose, and something else that I can't remember.

Some time later I went for an interview as part of an accelerated promotion system at work.  I had the workplace experience, I knew my stuff and I was good at my job but my educational pedigree was ordinary.  I realised before I went for the interview that I didn't really have a chance so I wore the tie as a bit of a two fingers up at the establishment.

During the interview, a panel member asked about the tie and wondered if it was a university tie or college thing.  I said "No, it's Oldham rugby league".  I could see him striking out my name before I'd finished the sentence. :) 

Archived