Man of Steel - new format.

Hull Daily Mail reporting that it’s to be decided by be a panel of 18 (mix of coaches, players).  “The panel will rotate at each of the six games each round, with a member present at each game in Super League to award points for first, second and third in their choice for the men of the match.

Those points will be accumulated throughout the season and a league table published for fans to track the leading candidates until the latter rounds of the season when the vote will become private, with the winner revealed at the Man of Steel Awards at the end of the campaign.”

Done to prevent stupid nominations and disrespect for a top player and bloke, Steve Prescott.   

No news on the ‘private’ vote or the timeframe for which Round becomes ‘latter’.  

On 1/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The NRL isn’t a bad league to copy, they do ok. 

We don't copy winter rugby.  

Hmm...  On balance I think that's a good thing.  Although I would prefer it to start in March.

I think this is good. My only concern is that it is a bit like the Goldthorpe medal, where someone ends up with three points even if the game is a shocker. When that happens, you end up with the Dennis Morans and Danny Broughs getting points almost by default.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

So essentially it's the Albert Goldthorpe Medal but with players rather than journalists? If this is indeed the new format then I might just take a little punt on Jake Connor. I think it definitely favours the more eye catching guys rather than the consistent 7/10 guys. 

You only had to look at the player voting list from last year to know that something had to change.  This system is not perfect but I can't think of a better one to use.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 1/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, Dunbar said:

You only had to look at the player voting list from last year to know that something had to change.  This system is not perfect but I can't think of a better one to use.

I'm more than happy to give this a go. If you have player judges at every game, I don't see why they couldn't give every player a score out of 10 (or whatever) in every match, giving the player with the best average score over the season (from a minimum number of games) the MOS.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, MZH said:

So essentially it's the Albert Goldthorpe Medal but with players rather than journalists? If this is indeed the new format then I might just take a little punt on Jake Connor. I think it definitely favours the more eye catching guys rather than the consistent 7/10 guys. 

not a bad shout that.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, Lowdesert said:

Hull Daily Mail reporting that it’s to be decided by be a panel of 18 (mix of coaches, players).  “The panel will rotate at each of the six games each round, with a member present at each game in Super League to award points for first, second and third in their choice for the men of the match.

Those points will be accumulated throughout the season and a league table published for fans to track the leading candidates until the latter rounds of the season when the vote will become private, with the winner revealed at the Man of Steel Awards at the end of the campaign.”

Done to prevent stupid nominations and disrespect for a top player and bloke, Steve Prescott.   

No news on the ‘private’ vote or the timeframe for which Round becomes ‘latter’.  

TRL have now published this.  

Very sad day for a journalist when the Hull Daily Mail can beat them to the punch.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

TRL have now published this.  

Very sad day for a journalist when the Hull Daily Mail can beat them to the punch.

LPL bring Zak Hardaker into their offices so often that they never get near the punch; the bowl is already empty.

Archived