Who needs enemies?

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Widdop won’t be a flop so I’m not sure I see the point dredging old news up anyway 

Warrington fans have said the same about pretty much every NRL signing every season. I wouldn't bank on it. The last really world class player i remember them signing who did it week in week out was Matt King

11 hours ago, lacuna1 said:

Warrington fans have said the same about pretty much every NRL signing every season. I wouldn't bank on it. The last really world class player i remember them signing who did it week in week out was Matt King

This post has no link to reality.

Last year we got Goodwin who was outstanding and far more consistent instantly than King who was a flop for a while before being moved to the wing and being decent.

I liked King, turned out decent, but he wouldn't be held up as a great NRL signing. 

I don't recall too many Wire fans going overboard with many NRL signings we have made.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Last year we got Goodwin who was outstanding and far more consistent instantly than King who was a flop for a while before being moved to the wing and being decent.

I liked King, turned out decent, but he wouldn't be held up as a great NRL signing. 

I don't recall too many Wire fans going overboard with many NRL signings we have made.

I was thinking King was rubbish for a while but wasn’t sure if I was getting him confused with someone. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I was thinking King was rubbish for a while but wasn’t sure if I was getting him confused with someone. 

King came over with a huge rep, and I think he struggled with it as was expected to be a star. Once we realised he wasn;t a skillful centre (like Lyon) and moved him to the wing he did a very good job for us. But there have been far better Wire NRL signings, even just last year! It was an odd example to use.

AndrewJohns was a decent signing for Wire and you won the ... oh wait, won nowt and Johns was exposed for the 'I'm not that bothered I've got the cash in the bank' drop kick he is and got shown up by Paul Cooke and Richard Horne hahahaha.

That said Hull FCs last 'big name' Frank Pritchard was garbage, wasn't fit for much of the season and carrying too much timber/fat, barely did15 minutes a half in the first 1/4 of the season, had a few good games but otherwise was a flop. Was outperformed by Jordan Thompson (who many of our fans slagged off something chronic) who in same number of games made 51% more tackles, similar number of tackle busts and made half the number of erros. Yeah the 'Tank' made more metres/m per carry but then yuo will do that coming on last 15 minutes of a half running out wide!

Thank god that the doggies were paying half his wages because we got ripped off frankly, I think that's what has put Pearson off getting another marquee player, just not seeing the financial benefit of a top NRL player given the actual returns are not that great even IF you do win the CC for instance, there's no guarantees at all you'll get your investment back. Sure you might shift a bit more merch and get a few more punters through the door but in RL circles with the low amount of money on offer for winning the GF/CC, it's high risk.

57 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Mathew Johns was a decent signing for Wire and you won the ... oh wait, won nowt and Johns was exposed for the 'I'm not that bothered I've got the cash in the bank' drop kick he is and got shown up by Paul Cooke and Richard Horne hahahaha.

That said Hull FCs last 'big name' Frank Pritchard was garbage, wasn't fit for much of the season and carrying too much timber/fat, barely did15 minutes a half in the first 1/4 of the season, had a few good games but otherwise was a flop. Was outperformed by Jordan Thompson (who many of our fans slagged off something chronic) who in same number of games made 51% more tackles, similar number of tackle busts and made half the number of erros. Yeah the 'Tank' made more metres/m per carry but then yuo will do that coming on last 15 minutes of a half running out wide!

Thank god that the doggies were paying half his wages because we got ripped off frankly, I think that's what has put Pearson off getting another marquee player, just not seeing the financial benefit of a top NRL player given the actual returns are not that great even IF you do win the CC for instance, there's no guarantees at all you'll get your investment back. Sure you might shift a bit more merch and get a few more punters through the door but in RL circles with the low amount of money on offer for winning the GF/CC, it's high risk.

Mathew johns you say?

25 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Mathew johns you say?

Yeah, not sure why I had Mathew in my head, anyway, statement still accurate regarding Andrew, took the money and when it got a bit hard folded, wasn't all that with the fans either from what I was told.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

I beg to differ. Goodwin has had one ok season showing his class aginst the likes of Salford and Hull KR but was nowhere to be seen when it mattered. I stand by my original post. FWIW i dont think Widdop is that good of a signing. He has had a few decent games for England, but consistent? im not so sure. On Warrington's recent history with big signings i would say there is more chance he will flop than be a success. Most Wire fans sais Sam Tomkins was gone when he came back over. If thats the bar we are setting then Widdop has a lot to stand up to. He has to compete with a 'crock' who came back and won things with his club. Warrington are an enigma. Everybody raves about them every year even though they have won sod all and every year is the same outcome. Why should now be any different because they are signing a 30 (when he arrives) year old?

2 minutes ago, lacuna1 said:

I beg to differ. Goodwin has had one ok season showing his class aginst the likes of Salford and Hull KR but was nowhere to be seen when it mattered. I stand by my original post. FWIW i dont think Widdop is that good of a signing. He has had a few decent games for England, but consistent? im not so sure. On Warrington's recent history with big signings i would say there is more chance he will flop than be a success. Most Wire fans sais Sam Tomkins was gone when he came back over. If thats the bar we are setting then Widdop has a lot to stand up to. He has to compete with a 'crock' who came back and won things with his club. Warrington are an enigma. Everybody raves about them every year even though they have won sod all and every year is the same outcome. Why should now be any different because they are signing a 30 (when he arrives) year old?

Do you watch the NRL ? Widdop has been ultra consistent , top quality and a stand out recognised by his peers at that rarified level . He’s been a leader by name and example .And when he’s not there , like the South’s semi , the Dragons lose 50% of what they have in attack . And that’s after the regard he has in Melbourne . I think it’s a huge coup for Wire . And look at the Dragons reaction to losing him 

Of course one way of reading the article quoted by the OP is that the Super league is not that easy a competition after all and 'star import' status is no guarantee of success.  If you don't come with your A game (or probably more likely your A attitude) you will flop.

I see this as a positive statement for our league rather than negative... but then my glass is always half full.

And as for Widdop.  He is outstanding and by far the best NRL signing that a Super League club has made in a very long time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Of course one way of reading the article quoted by the OP is that the Super league is not that easy a competition after all and 'star import' status is no guarantee of success.  If you don't come with your A game (or probably more likely your A attitude) you will flop.

I see this as a positive statement for our league rather than negative... but then my glass is always half full.

And as for Widdop.  He is outstanding and by far the best NRL signing that a Super League club has made in a very long time.

That was more my take on it too.

Some decent signings with good returns, Morley, M Monaghan, J monaghan, C Hicks, Trent Waterhouse, and they may not have won the GF but have won 3 CC 2LLS, appeared in 9 finals since 2009. But anyone who thinks Widdop is average is not someone who would accept this.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:17 PM, lacuna1 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but as a Wire fan, the last decade has been pretty enjoyable. 

3 Cup titles, 2 final losses, half the cup finals of this decade.

2 LLS titles.

4 Grand Finals, unfortunately losing each close battle.

Ive had worse decades as a Wire fan.

19 hours ago, Dave T said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but as a Wire fan, the last decade has been pretty enjoyable. 

3 Cup titles, 2 final losses, half the cup finals of this decade.

2 LLS titles.

4 Grand Finals, unfortunately losing each close battle.

Ive had worse decades as a Wire fan.

As a Trinity fan I'd bite your hand off for that lot, most clubs would.

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

As a Trinity fan I'd bite your hand off for that lot, most clubs would.

Indeed. I'm grateful for the performance of my club over the last 10-15yrs, I'm not going to act spoilt because we haven't won at OT yet 

Archived