Match Thread. Pre-season friendly. Featherstone v Halifax Sunday 20th January.

marklaspalmas

So, after last week's hit out for the kids it looks like Sunday will give a much better idea of our early season possibilities.

We will have

1. A coach 

2. An international scrum half

3. Two experienced props

4. An international centre

for the first time this year. With a new Australian watching and another waiting to come, plus another Papuan, things are finally taking shape.

If we are going to be competitive in our early games, we'll need all the newbies (coach included) to get up to speed v.quickly. 

Halifax will fancy themselves for another strong season, so it should be a really interesting game.

Assuming Watson plays, it will be interesting to see who partners him at half back. Paul March seemed notably happier about Jorge Richardson's contribution against Dewsbury than Morgan Punchard's, he has looked the steadier of the pair so far so he might get the nod, even though Punchard is a member of the first-team squad and Richardson isn't. Would be good if we can get Ase Boas over soon.

So, the squad has been named...

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/new-recruits-set-for-rovers-bow-mcFI4

and it has a very different look to the ones we have seen so far.

Delaney, Wheeldon, Watson Boas and Thompson Teteh are all included, as is Conor Carey (remaisn to be seen if he plays though having landed at Manchester this morning).

And four DR players named - Golding, Mullally, Ormondroyd and Walters.

No place for Jordan Tansey, whose six-week loan period has expired and presumably he hasn't been retained, nor Macauley Hallett, which puts question marks over whether he's still with us.

Punchard and Richardson both in as potential half back partners to Watson Boas.

Obviously no squad list announced yet but can we assume we are running a 22 man squad at this stage?

Hartley Whylie McDaniel Hardcastle Teteh Carey W.Boas A.Boas Richardson Punchard King Maskill Cooper Wheeldon Beckett Darley Harrison Davies Delaney Lockwood Bussey Day plus DR?

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Assuming Watson plays, it will be interesting to see who partners him at half back. Paul March seemed notably happier about Jorge Richardson's contribution against Dewsbury than Morgan Punchard's, he has looked the steadier of the pair so far so he might get the nod, even though Punchard is a member of the first-team squad and Richardson isn't. Would be good if we can get Ase Boas over soon.

Good squad that a lot stronger than envisaged

If its like that most weeks ( obv not as many leeds DR in it as King and A Boas to come in too ) I dont see any reason why we cant be more competitive than what people have suggested we will be

Hopefully the cold weather holds off

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So, the squad has been named...

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/new-recruits-set-for-rovers-bow-mcFI4

and it has a very different look to the ones we have seen so far.

Delaney, Wheeldon, Watson Boas and Thompson Teteh are all included, as is Conor Carey (remaisn to be seen if he plays though having landed at Manchester this morning).

And four DR players named - Golding, Mullally, Ormondroyd and Walters.

No place for Jordan Tansey, whose six-week loan period has expired and presumably he hasn't been retained, nor Macauley Hallett, which puts question marks over whether he's still with us.

Punchard and Richardson both in as potential half back partners to Watson Boas.

Whylie A.Boas King Harrison Bussey all to come into contention too. 

4 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Good squad that a lot stronger than envisaged

If its like that most weeks ( obv not as many leeds DR in it as King and A Boas to come in too ) I dont see any reason why we cant be more competitive than what people have suggested we will be

I still think we might use DR more than in previous years, because King and A Boas play different positions to the ones where we are likely to use DR guys. If we are offered Golding and Briscoe on any given week I can't see us choosing to play, say, Hartley and McDaniel instead. Same with Mullally who has the tackle-breaking ability that most of our other middles don't have. Not sure Walters and Ormondroyd bring much more to the table than our existing forwards though I like Walters more than some of our fans seem to and they're both ok performers at Championship level.

36 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I can see this been a comfotable Fev victory and if it is hopefully it gives us a bit of a wake up call as our pre-season has been a bit half assed.

And ours has gone so well to date. ?

With so many new players, a new coach and cold weather, I predict a scrappy game with not too much in it. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

9 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

With so many new players, a new coach and cold weather, I predict a scrappy game with not too much in it. 

Fax still missing Murrell and Johnston (as well as Grady, Butler, Moore) so you're probably right, as ever in pre-season, the result won't have much meaning as far as the regular season goes but still an important game for us to try and gel with only 1 more pre-season game after this before round 1.

19 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

At least Fev can use the excuse that you had loads of players out....

You need to hope Murrell is back soon, and stays fit. Him not missing many games is the main reason you made top 4 the last couple of seasons and he will be key again if you're going to make the play offs this.

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You need to hope Murrell is back soon, and stays fit. Him not missing many games is the main reason you made top 4 the last couple of seasons and he will be key again if you're going to make the play offs this.

I can't disagree with that LTS. I've been saying we need to replace Scott for three years now, but season after season he's proved me wrong. Saying that, surely this will be his last season and we need to find someone to fill his boots. ?

7 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We need either him or Grix on the field without a doubt. Looks like Murrell will miss the first few games so that might give us a good indication. Everyone in Halifax barring RM has known we have needed another half for quite a while now so it just looks silly that he didn't snap Sammut up when he had the chance.Blind faith in his players will be his undoing and I expect Grix and Murrell to take over by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

We need either him or Grix on the field without a doubt. Looks like Murrell will miss the first few games so that might give us a good indication. Everyone in Halifax barring RM has known we have needed another half for quite a while now so it just looks silly that he didn't snap Sammut up when he had the chance.Blind faith in his players will be his undoing and I expect Grix and Murrell to take over by the end of the season.

RM done ok by you so far, wish weyd of got him instead of Bastian

Archived