Memo to London Skolars - New River Stadium development

I'm over the moon about the extra investment coming into London rugby league via the London Skolars. The most exciting thing to come out of this is the potential development of the New River Stadium which is a huge site. It could potentially be the only modern venue outside of the heartlands where RL is the key tenant. Potentially they could also take ownership of the ground and make it the home of RL in the south. 

My big ask though is that when the stadium is developed the athletics track is removed and the distance between the stands and the pitch is significantly reduced. Watching RL at a ground that has a track just does not work and really hinders the matchday experience. I've never known a successful club that played at a ground with a track. 

This must be taken into account in any development. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2019/jan/15/toronto-wolfpack-buying-rugby-league-club-london-skolars

you'll see Hector's ambition is for a 10000 seater facility at New River. However that's a long way off as first somebody would need to persuade the council to sell the stadium.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

IIRC stadium is owned by the council (Haringey ?) but run by a private company. Will confirm Friday as at HAC game

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I'm over the moon about the extra investment coming into London rugby league via the London Skolars. The most exciting thing to come out of this is the potential development of the New River Stadium which is a huge site. It could potentially be the only modern venue outside of the heartlands where RL is the key tenant. Potentially they could also take ownership of the ground and make it the home of RL in the south. 

My big ask though is that when the stadium is developed the athletics track is removed and the distance between the stands and the pitch is significantly reduced. Watching RL at a ground that has a track just does not work and really hinders the matchday experience. I've never known a successful club that played at a ground with a track. 

I agree. Not sure how easy it would be. I’m sure the local athletic club would have something to say. 

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So they should say to Enfield and Haringey Athletics Club, a club that is one of the the most prestigious in the country and that produces Olympic, World and Commonwealth medallists, that they have to give up one of their main training venues and at the same time remove all the community athletics facilities from the borough?

That would create great publicity and really win the hearts and minds of the people of Haringey.  

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

A 10K all-seater stadium may be the dream but realistically, it’s a pipedream and nothing more. 

If Skolars put better seats in the stand they have and maybe sorted out the terracing opposite, it would be a big step. 

Totally agree. The distance while not ideal is not the main issue its the lack of comfort and cover from the rain.. Long term sharing with Haringey Borough who are literally 3 min walk down the road would make more sense as its a much better ground for football or rugby league. 

Athletics must stay at New River as young kids and adults need access to tracks and it was and is a community stadium....it matters to the community. 

There's also a gym there with lots of facilties which have been put in before with a view to helping athletes to train and Olympic weightlifters. 

I would like to see Skolars grow however not at the cost of the local area.. I live here and want my kids to have access to a track... 

Is this site not a 44 acre site? There is plenty of room for both an athletics stadium, which could also be used as a training facility and have community use, and a dedicated RL ground. This is pretty similar to what Wigan will now be doing with Robin Park with the DW next door. If they are serious about taking over and developing the site they could make it a real sports hub.

36 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Totally agree. The distance while not ideal is not the main issue its the lack of comfort and cover from the rain.. Long term sharing with Haringey Borough who are literally 3 min walk down the road would make more sense as its a much better ground for football or rugby league. 

Athletics must stay at New River as young kids and adults need access to tracks and it was and is a community stadium....it matters to the community. 

There's also a gym there with lots of facilties which have been put in before with a view to helping athletes to train and Olympic weightlifters. 

I would like to see Skolars grow however not at the cost of the local area.. I live here and want my kids to have access to a track... 

Are you a RL or athletics fan? 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Surely even the most one eyed dyed in the wool RL fan would see that in this situation it just can't be either or. 

Most people would wish the Skolars well, but they can't boot a load of other sports out of a facility they don't own (because it's owned as a community asset by the borough council) and expect to have it all to themselves for RL. Sharing with Haringey Borough is the only sensible medium term plan if they're that keen to get rid of the running track from their games. 

I agree by the way that grounds with tracks are poor.

Bottom line? Scholars want their own ground, Skolars have got to move.

There’s no athletics club based at New River any more - Enfield and Haringey AC have a great facility at Lee Valley. In fact, New River can’t host athletics meetings any more as it’s “field” facilities have been removed eg no throws area etc. That said, a number of recreational running users and informal groups still use the track, and you do feel that there would be a local outcry if there wasn’t any provision for a running track in a redevelopment. I would have thought that a Barnet Copthall style solution would be the way forward ie building a new stand on the “back straight”   with retractable seats in the lower rows that would cover the track during games.

Why do people care how this impacts the athletics service. I'm a RL fan and I only care about the development of our sport. Luxembourger has confirmed that the athletics club has moved somewhere else so as far as I'm concerned this is not an issue. On a 44 acre site a mini track or some other type of facility can be built to compensate. 

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Why do people care how this impacts the athletics service. I'm a RL fan and I only care about the development of our sport. Luxembourger has confirmed that the athletics club has moved somewhere else so as far as I'm concerned this is not an issue. On a 44 acre site a mini track or some other type of facility can be built to compensate. 

One minority sport getting a leg-up by doing over another minority sport is not a good look.

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Actually both... And I like Union too. 

It would damage the teams image  locally to get rid of the track... And while clubs may not use it for events, individuals do... To take away community provision of facilities is not good.... Surely working closely with Haringey Borough who have a nice little ground that could be developed more is the key? 

35 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

One minority sport getting a leg-up by doing over another minority sport is not a good look.

Thank you. Tbh the view out forward by the Daddy is worrying as if say Wigan Athletic FC  said this about Wigan RL ie that they are in the way of the Football team, how would that be for US? 

Its not RL to be selfish and step on others. Historically that's some elements of Union.. And something union should never be proud of. 

Skolars can either upgrade the facilities without taking away the track.... 

Or share with Borough and upgrade it if the football team are open to this partnership. 

Or find a huge Amount of money to buy land and hope they get permission for it. 

Given its a expensive part of London these days... It could cost many many  Millions 

11 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The stadium is nowhere near top priority for Skolars right now. 

What about the Broncos? If Skolars build a 10k stadium with a 3G pitch it’d make sense for broncos to move there rather than redevelop Ealing 

3 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Given its a expensive part of London these days... It could cost many many  Millions 

If you can't build property on it there's no real estate value so although it will still cost it's probably as affordable a site as anywhere in London.

19 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Chelsea football club?

3 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Thank you. Tbh the view out forward by the Daddy is worrying as if say Wigan Athletic FC  said this about Wigan RL ie that they are in the way of the Football team, how would that be for US? 

Its not RL to be selfish and step on others. Historically that's some elements of Union.. And something union should never be proud of. 

Skolars can either upgrade the facilities without taking away the track.... 

Or share with Borough and upgrade it if the football team are open to this partnership. 

I agree. Do they do weightlifting or power lifting there too? I am sure my grandfather took me there for a competition when I was a boy?

Archived