Memo to London Skolars - New River Stadium development

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I agree. Do they do weightlifting or power lifting there too? I am sure my grandfather took me there for a competition when I was a boy?

It was weightlifting at the old gym that is where the 1895 club house is now. So I am pretty sure it is still weightlifting Olympic style that goes on at the new gym. 

Yeah, there was a salt of the earth hard as nails ex marine who used to teach weightlifting in there and help out alot of young people to get some direction in life. 

These sort of places matter to a community particularly one like Haringey where there's hardship for some. 

19 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

One idea I have had on the few times that I have been there is to let people sit on the grass on the side opposite the main stand. It would be a bit like a lot of Australian grounds?

It would be really nice in the summer.

Weather permits it, it's a good idea tbh. 

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

One idea I have had on the few times that I have been there is to let people sit on the grass on the side opposite the main stand. It would be a bit like a lot of Australian grounds?

It would be really nice in the summer.

Only once have I seen fans walk to the other side from the stand (away fans and I forget who). 

People have got to wake up, Harringay are NOT going to sell this off, it is for the community plus if they did it be to company with multi million pounds for housing. Stop looking thro rose tinted glasses. I lived in Wood Green, social problems take priority. 

26 minutes ago, newbe said:

People have got to wake up, Harringay are NOT going to sell this off, it is for the community plus if they did it be to company with multi million pounds for housing. Stop looking thro rose tinted glasses. I lived in Wood Green, social problems take priority. 

It is not zoned for any housing development

26 minutes ago, newbe said:

One way to fix a social problems is to build a stadium.... just ask Trump

Build the stadium, build the stadium, build the stadium....

42 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

It is not zoned for any housing development

This could always be changed. I agree with what the poster is saying as I live very local for the last 10 years and they are right that the myriad of social issues will take priority over a stadium for a sport that does not register much support locally as yet . 

23 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I'm over the moon about the extra investment coming into London rugby league via the London Skolars. The most exciting thing to come out of this is the potential development of the New River Stadium which is a huge site. It could potentially be the only modern venue outside of the heartlands where RL is the key tenant. Potentially they could also take ownership of the ground and make it the home of RL in the south. 

My big ask though is that when the stadium is developed the athletics track is removed and the distance between the stands and the pitch is significantly reduced. Watching RL at a ground that has a track just does not work and really hinders the matchday experience. I've never known a successful club that played at a ground with a track. 

This must be taken into account in any development. 

What did you think about the old wembley? The pitch was miles away, what about Old Trafford sat in the gods or any stadia where you are high up or far away from the pitch, how does that measure up? If you're bothered about following your club, a track won't change your view on matters. As it happens both Hull FC and HKR had a fair distance from the pitch in places seeing as they had speedway and greyhounds, same at Odsal , fans are way way back!

On 1/17/2019 at 11:52 PM, The Daddy said:

I'm over the moon about the extra investment coming into London rugby league via the London Skolars. The most exciting thing to come out of this is the potential development of the New River Stadium My big ask though is that when the stadium is developed........... 

When?  Same "when" as when the transatlantic league is developed? Argyle, McNeil and yourself are away with the fairies.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:45 AM, BJW said:

If you read this https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2019/jan/15/toronto-wolfpack-buying-rugby-league-club-london-skolars you'll see Hector's ambition is for a 10000 seater facility at New River. 

Why don't you read it properly and not take it out of context? This is what it says "Melbourne Storm are the world's most successful expansion club but at a cost of £200,000,000. What could London do with that sort of backing?"

So McNeil is not answering a serious question, he's been asked to dream about what he'd do if he received £200 Million to spend on London Skolars. Can you tell me just how much he is actually receiving from this Argyle deal? Is it £200M?

11 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

I agree with what the poster is saying as I live very local for the last 10 years and they are right that the myriad of social issues will take priority over a stadium for a sport that does not register much support locally as yet

London Broncos and London Skolars crowds combined are 1,297. However lets go back to the 1990's. London.v.Paris 9,638 London.v.Wigan 10,014, London.v.Brisbane 9,486. We got close to the dream so it's not a matter of "as yet".

But I am afraid that the dream is over despite people trying to revive it in their heads. All the Argylle investment is, is a way to try to keep the Transatlantic dream alive, to stoke the idea that big international TV companies would move in on SKY and take Superleague away to places like Toronto, New York, Toulouse, with the hub of this league being centred on London.  No doubt Scotchy will come back in with Perth adding to the mix.

McNeil in his fantasy piece lays the blame for Superleague's problems on "Five or six clubs who don't really add much to the sport"

Let's not beat about the bush here. Castleford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Widnes, Hull.K.R and Salford are the clubs he is talking about as "Not adding to the sport" This is divisive and insulting nonsense that deserves calling out, from a man who has taken the Argylle dollar and the Argylle instructions,  because his own club have got nowhere in the 23 years they have existed. In 2003 Skolars went semi-pro and got crowds of 430. 15 years on McNeil has managed to get those crowds down to 400.

But McNeil and Argyle are clearly the future of the game. Not yer rubbish M62 failures.

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

London Broncos and London Skolars crowds combined are 1,297. However lets go back to the 1990's. London.v.Paris 9,638 London.v.Wigan 10,014, London.v.Brisbane 9,486. We got close to the dream so it's not a matter of "as yet".

But I am afraid that the dream is over despite people trying to revive it in their heads.

So all of us in London should just pack it up? The dream is over! We once had crowds close to 10k, and now we're just about managing 1k. It must really offend you that the Broncos have managed to make it back into Super League.

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

When?  Same "when" as when the transatlantic league is developed? Argyle, McNeil and yourself are away with the fairies.

Why don't you read it properly and not take it out of context? This is what it says "Melbourne Storm are the world's most successful expansion club but at a cost of £200,000,000. What could London do with that sort of backing?"

So McNeil is not answering a serious question, he's been asked to dream about what he'd do if he received £200 Million to spend on London Skolars. Can you tell me just how much he is actually receiving from this Argyle deal? Is it £200M?

But I am afraid that the dream is over despite people trying to revive it in their heads. All the Argylle investment is, is a way to try to keep the Transatlantic dream alive, to stoke the idea that big international TV companies would move in on SKY and take Superleague away to places like Toronto, New York, Toulouse, with the hub of this league being centred on London.  No doubt Scotchy will come back in with Perth adding to the mix.

McNeil in his fantasy piece lays the blame for Superleague's problems on "Five or six clubs who don't really add much to the sport"

Let's not beat about the bush here. Castleford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Widnes, Hull.K.R and Salford are the clubs he is talking about as "Not adding to the sport" This is divisive and insulting nonsense that deserves calling out, from a man who has taken the Argylle dollar and the Argylle instructions,  because his own club have got nowhere in the 23 years they have existed. In 2003 Skolars went semi-pro and got crowds of 430. 15 years on McNeil has managed to get those crowds down to 400.

But McNeil and Argyle are clearly the future of the game. Not yer rubbish M62 failures.

I notice your sarcasm but just to remind you that Mr McNeil founded the London Skolars club,and remains there.

With his wealth and hedge fund expertise he could have just thrown money at it and then left.

Those M62 'experts',be they O'Connor,Beaumont,Koukash,haven't stayed the course - despite the free advertising afforded to O'Connor at Widnes with his Stobart connection at a time the RFL seemed to want to rub shoulders with rich individuals.

If Toronto and London Skolars are planning ahead with some intelligence and realistic targets,then the gradual progression may be worth experiencing.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

On 1/18/2019 at 12:45 AM, BJW said:

If you read this https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2019/jan/15/toronto-wolfpack-buying-rugby-league-club-london-skolars you'll see Hector's ambition is for a 10000 seater facility at New River. 

Not taking it out of context, hence the use of the word 'ambition'. You are trying to twist what I posted. Where do I say anything other than that is an ambition, not a realistic prospect ? Not only have I read the article, I speak to Hector (plus other Skolar's directors)  regularly. When was the last time you spoke to him ? No it isn't £200M but as you apparently have all the inside details, why don't you tell us how much it'll be ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

14 hours ago, Click said:

So all of us in London should just pack it up? The dream is over! We once had crowds close to 10k, and now we're just about managing 1k. It must really offend you that the Broncos have managed to make it back into Super League.

I love the London RL scene why would I not?  You need to wake up and smell the cobblers being talked here....

13 hours ago, BJW said:

Not taking it out of context, hence the use of the word 'ambition'. You are trying to twist what I posted. Where do I say anything other than that is an ambition, not a realistic prospect ? Not only have I read the article, I speak to Hector (plus other Skolar's directors)  regularly. When was the last time you spoke to him ? No it isn't £200M but as you apparently have all the inside details, why don't you tell us how much it'll be ?

You tell me if you "Speak to Hector". All I know is the value of 25% of a loss making company is around zero. If your mate Hector has been paid something significant by Argylle then that is to deliver something for Argylle.

14 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I  remind you that Mr McNeil founded the London Skolars club,and remains there. Those M62 'experts',be they O'Connor,Beaumont,Koukash,haven't stayed the course.  If Toronto and London Skolars are planning ahead with some intelligence and realistic targets,then the gradual progression may be worth experiencing.

McNeil has taken Skolars nowhere, but all three of you Gentlemen miss the point.

The dream that is over is the Transatlantic league of six clubs from North America and six clubs from England picking up a massive North American TV deal Perez told us all would happen once North American Investors climbed on board.

Gents, read the press release properly. Do not pick out the wishfull thinking bits that intimate Argyle is to buy Skolars a stadium and fund a Superleague quality team to take you to Superleague. Look more carefully at what McNeil is proposing on behalf of Argylle.

He proposes that the future lies in irresistible derby games between traditional clubs like Saints.v.Wigan or Wire and Leeds.v.Bradford or Hull. AND new derbies between Catalans.v.Toulouse, London.v.London and Toronto.v.New York.

McNeil is being used by Argylle to call for a new version of the Transatlantic League which McNeil is willingly spouting about because this is his dream also, that the future of Superleague no longer lies along the M62 but can be found in London acting as the hub of this new International League that Scotchy will be along soon to add Perth to.

In 2021 SKY will drop the TV deal down and his will end any expansion. In recognition of this Argylle is pitching a second version of his Transatlantic league idea through McNeil, that contains clubs that actually exist. In that pitch McNeil insults, and calls for the rejection of  half a dozen northern  SL clubs as "adding nothing to the sport" which is gross hypocrisy. I suggest you read it all far more carefully.

McNeil is clearly Argylles puppet....

Firstly Hector has not been paid anything, the money will have gone to the company that owns Skolars. You imply something underhand by saying the money has gone to Hector ! You say reread the article, posting Hector as saying about clubs"adding nothing to the sport". Hector actually says in the article "There are five or six other clubs who are pretty interchangeable but don’t really add much to the value of the sport." 

I still await you giving some actual information on what the deal between Skolars and Toronto involves. So far all you have posted is your opinion, sadly lacking in actual facts.  Your postings try to give the impression you have the insdie track on what is involved yet when asked for details . . . . 

You seem to dislike the fact that TGG is actually played outside the heartlands and perhaps you''d only be happy should it retreat back to the M62 corridor ? You state "I love the London RL scene why would I not?" yet you don't want to see those involved get above their station ! As long as we know our place and don't upset your applecart with ambition you're happy.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

11 hours ago, The Parksider said:

You tell me if you "Speak to Hector". All I know is the value of 25% of a loss making company is around zero. If your mate

This is objectively false.  Companies are frequently valued very highly long before they make a profit, Facebook is a extreme example.  

Obviously I'm not comparing the two, but it's obvious to anyone that Skolars do have a value as they have some assets.  

10 hours ago, The Parksider said:

He proposes that the future lies in irresistible derby games between traditional clubs like Saints.v.Wigan or Wire and Leeds.v.Bradford or Hull. AND new derbies between Catalans.v.Toulouse, London.v.London and Toronto.v.New York.

McNeil is being used by Argylle to call for a new version of the Transatlantic League which McNeil is willingly spouting about because this is his dream also, that the future of Superleague no longer lies along the M62 but can be found in London acting as the hub of this new International League that Scotchy will be along soon to add Perth to.

In 2021 SKY will drop the TV deal down and his will end any expansion. In recognition of this Argylle is pitching a second version of his Transatlantic league idea through McNeil, that contains clubs that actually exist. In that pitch McNeil insults, and calls for the rejection of  half a dozen northern  SL clubs as "adding nothing to the sport" which is gross hypocrisy. I suggest you read it all far more carefully.

McNeil is clearly Argylles puppet....

Parky,

You seem to have forgotten to thank an individual,Mr Argyle,for investing into rugby league.Not just one club;but two clubs.

You also forgot to criticise,so vehemently,when it was rumoured that Ian Lenagan had invested into London Skolars.

http://www.skolarsrl.com/2018/05/   - You notice the statement from Mr McNeil.

He has then accepted the offer from Mr Argyle.

I don't think it behoves anyone outside of the 2 clubs to try and second guess the intentions.

The fact that Mt McNeil is a leading light in the city - and is able to attract Wigan Warriors - and rugby league greats - to the city of London,puts him some distance ahead of me - and clubs in the heartlands,it seems.

Being at a club far longer than  most of the putative elite club owners,and introducing far more players to the sport over that time is deserving of far greater appreciation that you afford him.

Perhaps being a guest of the RFL has worried those beyond our shores - trying to keep one step ahead of the elite owners and those governing the sport is behind the link and the financial agreement.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbulls/17369353.yorkshire-cup-coming-nicely-to-the-boil-for-bradford-bulls-clash-at-batley/

Improving stadia is the aim for many clubs.....including those with elite owners currently in the elite league.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Skolars won’t be around much longer. Hector is fed up with pumping money into a club that is going backwards. You would think in 20 years of playing semi pro rugby league the club wouldve moved forwards but finishing 3rd last is a discgrace especially only finishing aboveboard two teams that were dire 

12 minutes ago, Londonfan said:

Skolars won’t be around much longer. Hector is fed up with pumping money into a club that is going backwards. You would think in 20 years of playing semi pro rugby league the club wouldve moved forwards but finishing 3rd last is a discgrace especially only finishing aboveboard two teams that were dire 

I'm not sure. I think they do a good job given that they don't cost a fortune to run and have their place. They do bring thorough talent for the game. 

With some investment and a much much needed upgrade to the ground, (toilets and making the stand more weather proof And not so cold) championship rugby And a average of 800-1000 a game is a realistic goal. 

It would take alot to make them a SL club, ALOT. 

Archived