Greg Inglis announces retirement date

Great player, in the first half of his career he was nearly unstoppable.

When he broke into the open, few if any could run him down, he had size, power and pace.

He tackled like a forward because he was the size of a forward.

As he has got older he has filled out in size and had some injuries and slowed down.

On his day still great to watch.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

He is being eclipsed by Latrell Mitchell. So it is probably time to prepare for retirement.

Does every 30+ outside back in the NRL have to retire now that Micthell is playing well or is it just Inglis?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I have seen some marvelous Australian players over the years but I have to say from a GB/English point of view, seeing the name Greg Inglis on the Kangaroo team sheet was probably the scariest of the lot.... you just knew he was going to do something unplayable. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Phenomenal player , totally freakish from when  he broke through , and into his pomp for some golden years . Only wear n tear hampered him but you could still see that genius creeping through . Just a great physical specimen to for a modern back . To do it for club state country for so long with such great stats is pretty amazing . Still scary to think of a club side with Folau and Inglis in as young superstars . Mitchell may be the coming man now , but he’s got plenty to go before he can match Inglis 

I cant really look back that far as being in my late 20's but for me Greg Inglis is the best player i have ever watch both live and on TV. So may times i got up early to watch the NRL when he was playing, to be that big, quick and skillful is crazy.

YouTube videos of his best highlights are so good.

Love watching Mitchell but Inglis will always be right at the top for me.

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

Fantastic player before the injuries took their toll in recent seasons. I hope he stays fit 'til the end of 2020 and gets to retire on his own terms.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

when he came over with the kangaroos in 2009 at 22/23 he ripped through us like a knife through butter time after time, just a freak made it look so easy. at that point as a centre only Meninga could stand up to him in that position for me during my life time of watching the game.

on the flip side as we don't play Australia this year that confirms next time we play them there will be no Thurston, Smith, Slater or Inglis in the side. They are going to take some replacing.

21 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Does every 30+ outside back in the NRL have to retire now that Micthell is playing well or is it just Inglis?

Good point.

But let me clarify. Greg Inglis has played with a certain charisma until the past three years -- he is a player whose recent performances have been diminished by serious injury -- and therefore his well justified aura has been eclipsed somewhat by the meteoric rise of Latrell Mitchell.

Greg Inglis is certainly a candidate for the Immortals in the future, but probably only if he can regain his pre-injury form the way that the magnificent Billy Slater did. I do hope that Inglis will be back at his best this season, but if so I think that he should retire when still on top, so to speak.

7 hours ago, langpark said:

... and Mitchell has already been eclipsed by Kalyn Ponga.  :)

Not sure about that. They are pretty close in terms of level of talent.

However they are slightly different in terms of positional skills. Mitchell is a classic centre who is also an excellent full back or winger. Ponga is a classic five eighth or full back, not a centre or winger. Mitchell's talent profile is much closer to that of Inglis. 

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Good point.

But let me clarify. Greg Inglis has played with a certain charisma until the past three years -- he is a player whose recent performances have been diminished by serious injury -- and therefore his well justified aura has been eclipsed somewhat by the meteoric rise of Latrell Mitchell.

Greg Inglis is certainly a candidate for the Immortals in the future, but probably only if he can regain his pre-injury form the way that the magnificent Billy Slater did. I do hope that Inglis will be back at his best this season, but if so I think that he should retire when still on top, so to speak.

Getting the timing of retirement right is one of the key decisions for any professional sportsperson and this is heightened for champions who are constantly under the microscope with every single aspect of their performance analysed and compared to younger players (as you (and I) have done with Inglis and Mitchell).

From a fan's point of view we want to see the best players play but we become critical when their performances start to slide, even by small amounts.  Of course, we look solely at the performance and ability and forget that this is their job and their primary source of income to support families and try and set themselves up for a very very very long retirement (from pro sports).

I don't think it fair (but it is human nature) to compare players to younger one's.  Mitchell is phenomenal but he is still prone to lapses in concentration and fades out of games too much for my liking.  Inglis' performances should be considered for what they are rather than relative to others.  After a full pre-season I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at the top of his game.

Actually, the one player I worry has extended his playing career to the harm of his legacy is Cam Smith.  There were times last year when he looked a little off the pace and for a player who has built his game on being the hub of all that the Storm do that is a worrying sign.  Add some injuries that he didn't seem to pick up before and I fear he may be a lesser player this year.  This may be compounded by not having both of Cronk and Slater around who he had an almost telepathic understanding with.  I hope this isn't the case of course as I like to see champion players play to their very best.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:44 AM, Manfred Mann said:

He is being eclipsed by Latrell Mitchell. So it is probably time to prepare for retirement.

I think he knows how he feels and just wants to put a timeframe on retirement.  Nothing more.

Scored some wonderful tries over his career, some of which only he could replicate. Mitchell et al have a lot of work to do to come close imo.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, Manfred Mann said:

Latraell Mitchell has a long long way to go before he can be considered near what Inglis was.

1 hour ago, B rad said:

Latraell Mitchell has a long long way to go before he can be considered near what Inglis was.

While this is absolutely true, the careers of Mitchell and Inglis are almost a mirror of each other up to this point.

They both starred for the Australian Schoolboys, they both made their NRL debuts, State of origin debuts and Kangaroo debuts at prodigiously young ages and they were both Premiership winners by the time they were 21.

It is almost freaky how similar they are in playing styles and career... all Mitchell has to do is have the longevity and consistent quality of Inglis.  This is no simple task but he has the talent to do it.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The best centre at international level in the modern era, despite playing full back regularly at club level.

I remember an England v Australia game at Wigan where he was devastating in attack.

that was the one i was alluding to 2009 i think. At that time we did have an awful back line mind, think Lee Smith was marking him at centre.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, Dunbar said:

While this is absolutely true, the careers of Mitchell and Inglis are almost a mirror of each other up to this point.

They both starred for the Australian Schoolboys, they both made their NRL debuts, State of origin debuts and Kangaroo debuts at prodigiously young ages and they were both Premiership winners by the time they were 21.

It is almost freaky how similar they are in playing styles and career... all Mitchell has to do is have the longevity and consistent quality of Inglis.  This is no simple task but he has the talent to do it.

You are right in pointing out the amazing similarities in the careers of Inglis and Mitchell. In physical stature and skills they are also very similar. I just think that Mitchell has a slightly better sidestep and a slightly better fend than Inglis. But there is not much in it.

Archived